• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindu - May I ask a few questions? :)

girlymomma88

Hi! I have an interview to do for my History of Religions graduate course. I was hoping I could ask a few questions for a practicing Hindu member of the forum to answer? :)

The questions are:
1) What would you say is the most important part of daily Hindu life?

2) What is Karma?

3) How would you describe your belief in God(s)?

4) What is the reason behind the preference of cremation as opposed to burial?

5) How do you know if you are being a 'good' Hindu or 'properly' practicing Hinduism?

Hopefully these are all good questions. :) Thank you so much!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I will answer as to regards to myself. Hinduism is such that each person will have a different answer and that's okay.

Living life. Dharma.

2) What is Karma?

Cause and effect, really.

Hmm. Quirky. :p

That depends largely on the sect or family beliefs.
In my family there is the belief of Agni. It is believed that Agni (or Fire God if you prefer) acts as a messenger between our plane and that of the god/s. Agni is fire, one of the purest elements. Therefore the body is cremated as a sort of offering. It is believed that Agni will purify the soul and carry it to the destined place. Heaven, hell or onto the next life. Whatever.
There is also the belief of attachment. If a body is buried, the soul will remain with it and rot. Burning the body allows the soul to be free of the body and travel to where it needs to go in the afterlife.

5) How do you know if you are being a 'good' Hindu or 'properly' practicing Hinduism?

I don't.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
2) What is Karma?
1. Like SomeRandom said - 'dharma', fulfillment of one's duties and engaging in righteous action.
2. Again, like SomeRandom said, cause and effect, but in my case limited to this life, since I do not believe in soul, reincarnation and a backlog of karmas from any previous life.
3. I am a strong atheist (non-dualist) Hindu, which means that I reject even the minutest possibility of existence of God.
4. It does not need space. One funeral pyre (4'x8') can take care of a hundred and twenty people in one year, the ashes are removed on the fourth day, and the space can be re-used till the end of times. Otherwise, think how much space a billion Hindus would have needed. Grave yard space is costly nearly everywhere. A Hindu funeral can be managed in just about a hundred USD or even less. No embalming, casket or grave stones required. Also no waiting. If possible, the dead are cremated the same day till before the sun-set. Just give the body a wash (after adding a tea-spoon of Ganges water) and take it to the funeral ground. Fire-wood is OK, prime building wood is not required.
5. I am generally been a good Hindu, following my duties, but I have not been an exemplary Hindu. I have not given enough in charity.

india_11-10_079a-e1316783931290.jpg
Hindu cortage.

Last edited: