• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Hey scofflaw*, take off that bikini or I'll do it myself!"

Skwim

Veteran Member
*Actually, "scoffcode"
9758628-large.jpg

"If you patriotically bought American flag-patterned napkins for your barbecue this July Fourth, consider this: They violate the United States Flag Code. So does your flag beach towel, duvet cover and most Little League uniforms sporting the nation’s red, white and blue banner.

The problem, according to sections 8d and 8i of the code, is the flag should not be used "as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery ... It should not be printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes."

Issued by Congress in 1942, the code includes a plethora of rules — most of which are habitually broken — dedicated to protecting and respecting the flag. But don’t ditch your Stars and Stripes accessories just yet: Experts say no one’s going to show up and tread on you because the flag code is a guide, not a law."
source

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was once awarded "punk points" for absentmindedly wearing my British flag top on the 4th. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The problem, according to sections 8d and 8i of the code, is the flag should not be used "as wearing apparel, bedding or drapery ... It should not be printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes."

Issued by Congress in 1942, the code includes a plethora of rules — most of which are habitually broken — dedicated to protecting and respecting the flag. But don’t ditch your Stars and Stripes accessories just yet: Experts say no one’s going to show up and tread on you because the flag code is a guide, not a law."
source

AFAIK, it IS a law, but it provides no penalties for breaching it.

I always thought it was amusing when I'd see products in the store in boxes with a big ol' American flag on the side and saying "proudly made in the USA".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In Revoltistan, American flags are to be displayed only on hot babes.
The Revoltistanian flag, however, is to be used as a door mat.
It is our way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe flag laws only apply to the use of an actual flag, and not representations of it.
Here's the actual text of the flag code:

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

I've never understood why it is neccessary to have laws protecting flags. Its not like you can hurt a flags feelings.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Kind of confusing. Laws seldom if ever use the word "should" when describing correct actions. Then there's the matter of listing the various sections of the code under the heading of "customs." From the linked site
"The United States Code is the official, subject matter order, compilation of the Federal laws of a general and permanent nature that are currently in force.

UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 36
CHAPTER 10

PATRIOTIC CUSTOMS

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

And no repercussions following the violation of the codes (laws?) ?. :shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Kind of confusing. Laws seldom if ever use the word "should" when describing correct actions.
Good point. I missed that.

Yeah... in legal terms, "should" does not denote a requirement. If it was mandatory, they would've used "shall".

If flags did feel, I bet the one in the pic in the OP would be pretty happy.

I'd rather be the stars than the strips.

Vaguely on topic when my brother was in the Royal Navy and they stopped over in Hawai they pinched the US flag from the naval base there. The Americans weren't too impressed and demanded it back.

Can't remember how that ended.