• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hey all

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Hey there, how's it goin? :D

Daria is a beautiful name :)

Welcome to the forums, and beware of that Scooby doo character! He's evil :p

Daria

Egroen: thank you for the compliment :) i thought that Darius perhaps also meant something along the lines of "good ruler"? might be wrong.

Buttons: it's not going too bad thanks, i'm nearly finished with all my exams, just one more to go tomorrow! :D hope you're doing well. and thanks for the advice too, i will look out for scooby-doo dude!

MysticSang'ha: nice to meet you, thanks for the welcome!

egroen

If your namesake is King Darius of Persia, he was indeed a great ruler... in fact, 'Darius the Great' :D He ruled while Persia was at the height of its power.

-Erin

Daria

AlanGurvey said:
Welcome to RE :)

thanks alan, nice to meet your acquaintance :)

egroen said:
If your namesake is King Darius of Persia, he was indeed a great ruler... in fact, 'Darius the Great' :D He ruled while Persia was at the height of its power.

-Erin

hehe, you learn new things every day!
I take it you're Persian?
I once heard a guy singing in Persian, it might seem odd but I think I understood a large proportion of what he was saying. (I speak Croatian, but I was never under the impression that the languages were similar.) Then again, perhaps my imagination got the better of me!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
merry meet, and welcome to the forums :)

Daria said:
hoping to go to Bristol University to study Maths & Philosophy in a few months time.

how long have you been interested in these? are there any specific aspects of philosophy that you are interested in, or just general philosophy?

Daria

Mike182 said:
merry meet, and welcome to the forums :)

how long have you been interested in these? are there any specific aspects of philosophy that you are interested in, or just general philosophy?

Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome :D

well, at school i've always been quite good at maths, and i've been thinking since about november of last year to do maths & philosophy joined, though i also applied for philosophy & theology.

i'm quite interested in the "ethics" side of things, ethical theories and the such, and the course that i've covered at school for the last two years has been quite broad, it's included arguments for/against the existence of God, religious language, mind/body problem, free will & determinism, problem of evil, ... so a lot of philosophy of religion basically! along with things like applying ethical theories to specific topics (e.g. war, medical ethics, ...), and also the nature of conscience.
that might seem like a lot to be interested in, but i've really enjoyed the course and am genuinely interested in all of the above.

egroen

Yes, I am persian :)

I once heard a guy singing in Persian, it might seem odd but I think I understood a large proportion of what he was saying. (I speak Croatian, but I was never under the impression that the languages were similar.)

Hmmm... now this is interesting. I did a little digging and it seems there is a popular theory that Croatians, Serbians and Bosnians are of Iranian origin. Perhaps this is why I thought you were persian from your name and you may have understood some persian/farsi?

http://www.iranchamber.com/culture/articles/croatians_cravats_iranian_origin.php

Cheers!
Erin

Daria

egroen said:
Yes, I am persian :)

Hmmm... now this is interesting. I did a little digging and it seems there is a popular theory that Croatians, Serbians and Bosnians are of Iranian origin. Perhaps this is why I thought you were persian from your name and you may have understood some persian/farsi?

http://www.iranchamber.com/culture/articles/croatians_cravats_iranian_origin.php

Cheers!
Erin

That link was very interesting, thanks! I'd always believed that Croatians, Serbs, Bosnians, Slovenians, ..., were descended from Russia, hence the "Slavic" nature of the language(s). Maybe they all just mixed, lol.

egroen

I am sure it is a mixing... we persians tend to think anything or anyone worth anything came from Persia -- you think the greek father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was bad??? Ugh, talk to my father!

In fact, the word "aryan" really means *iranian*, it was simply bastardized by the nazis.

-Erin

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Daria said:
Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome :D

well, at school i've always been quite good at maths, and i've been thinking since about november of last year to do maths & philosophy joined, though i also applied for philosophy & theology.

i'm quite interested in the "ethics" side of things, ethical theories and the such, and the course that i've covered at school for the last two years has been quite broad, it's included arguments for/against the existence of God, religious language, mind/body problem, free will & determinism, problem of evil, ... so a lot of philosophy of religion basically! along with things like applying ethical theories to specific topics (e.g. war, medical ethics, ...), and also the nature of conscience.
that might seem like a lot to be interested in, but i've really enjoyed the course and am genuinely interested in all of the above.

what exam board?

i sat my A2 philosophy and ethics synoptic paper today, Edexcel board - pretty much the stuff you described was coverd in my course, and i'm gonna be studying it further at Lancaster Uni in september (providing i get the grades!)

Daria

Mike182 said:
what exam board?

i sat my A2 philosophy and ethics synoptic paper today, Edexcel board - pretty much the stuff you described was coverd in my course, and i'm gonna be studying it further at Lancaster Uni in september (providing i get the grades!)

=O no way, i had my synoptic today too!! i'm on OCR though. what are your entry requirements for Lancaster? mine are AAB for bristol, with an A in maths... fingers crossed...

Daria

egroen said:
I am sure it is a mixing... we persians tend to think anything or anyone worth anything came from Persia -- you think the greek father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was bad??? Ugh, talk to my father!

hehe, tis true that dads can be immensly annoying!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Daria said:
=O no way, i had my synoptic today too!! i'm on OCR though. what are your entry requirements for Lancaster? mine are AAB for bristol, with an A in maths... fingers crossed...

ooo, high achiever! i only need BBC for lancaster, but that's because the course i want to do is more based on religious belief, with reference to religious philosophy and ethics.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Hey Daria, I hope all the exams went well! I did my RS Synoptic New Testament and Islam paper today, so it looks as though there are lots of examinees here :p

Welcome to the forums from a fellow newb :)

God bless

Elvendon

Daria

Mike182 said:
ooo, high achiever! i only need BBC for lancaster, but that's because the course i want to do is more based on religious belief, with reference to religious philosophy and ethics.

sounds interesting, i'm sure you'll enjoy it muchos. i've got a friend at lancaster, and she loves it there, so i think you'll have a gd time :) .

Daria

Elvendon said:
Hey Daria, I hope all the exams went well! I did my RS Synoptic New Testament and Islam paper today, so it looks as though there are lots of examinees here :p

Welcome to the forums from a fellow newb :)

God bless

Elvendon

Hey Elvendon,
hope youre RS synoptic went well :D my exams were mostly ok-ish, but there were a couple of exceptions :( .

thanks for the welcome, hope you're good.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Daria said:
Hey Elvendon,
hope youre RS synoptic went well :D my exams were mostly ok-ish, but there were a couple of exceptions :( .

thanks for the welcome, hope you're good.

Oh yeah, I'm okay. I think my exams went fine, but I'm terrible at calling stuff like that ^^

Don't worry about the exceptions, in my experience they normally get ironed out :)