• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's Your Chance: Stump the archaeologist!

blue8

With pleasure blue. But I have to say. there's no need for people to be jealous in other's people efforts in education. all the relevant material is already published. what we do mostly from this stage on. is explore and work out the details. so to speak. you can get a wonderful education for yourself by reading a few essential books from well established publications. and get very basic books which give basic explanation for the cultural or political context behind the scriptures.

You are right, I am looking forward to some recommendation of relevant material. There are plenty of informations in your posts. Tnx for sharing. ;) I wish you success in your studies and in further work in a field.

Now a question..Can you tell what are the earliest documents of Hebrew literacy, are these religious documents? Working as a archeologist, which site do you find most fascinating and why?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Now a question..Can you tell what are the earliest documents of Hebrew literacy, are these religious documents?
Hey blue.

The Hebrew language, of the Northwest Semitic of the Canaanite family of languages, was widely spoken in the Northern Kingdom of Israel, and the Kingdom of Judah to the south. especially during the 10th to 7th centuries before the Christian era.
Different periods enforced on people the use of a new language, or the lingua franca of the region. such as was the case with Aramaic, when the Babylonian empire dominated the region. and turned less powerful political entities into vassals and conquered them, or forced their migration into the central nerve system of the Babylonian state.
The oldest Hebrew inscription, known to date. was found nearby the Valley of Elah in Israel. it dates to 3000 before the present. or the 10th century before the Christian era. it was found in what is perhaps the earliest known fortress of the Biblical era. constructed with megalithic stones, some weighting in the tons. the site is called in Arabic Khirbet Qeiyafa. or Elah Fortress.
The inscription is written on a pottery shard using an ink. it comprises five lines of text divided by black line. it was written in the Proto-Canaanite alphabet.

Proto-Canaanite alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an 2010 update from the University of Haifa in northern Israel about working out the details of the inscription: University of Haifa » Most ancient Hebrew biblical inscription deciphered

There are various of other ancient inscriptions in Hebrew which were considered to be the oldest before the inscription was found in Khirbet Qeiyafa. such as the Gezer Calendar which also dates to the 10th century BCE, and presents us with a list of seasons and agricultural activities.

which site do you find most fascinating and why?
Well. all of them. how else can I have all the fun? :D
there is no point in pretending that one civilization or culture is coolest than the rest. I am especially interested in the way all these different cultures interact. the way they trade with each other, war with each other, force allegiances, diffuse religious beliefs or ideas, and do diplomacy.
including the nasty, dirty and juicy stuff. or perhaps and especially these most of all.
however. archaeologists and the general excavators. always have sites they like less and site they like more. it usually boils down to very simple realities. digging a site with rough soil and which produces close to no archaeological material. and a site which contains architectural features, and significant historical importance, it especially becomes better when you discover something new. a new mosaic, a wine press, or a small artefact of dramatic implications for the world of research.

Last edited:

Wombat

Did an elite rebel group of Jews travel to North America in the Iron Age? did an alien culture landed the pyramids all constructed from their mothership? what were the last words Christ cried out as he released his final breath on the cross in Golgotha, Jerusalem? as the New Testament documents the event? what did the Prophet Isaiah really meant when he said the words: 'Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son'. who were the prime adherents to Set in Egyptian history?

But I just wanted to know-
How much wood could a Woodchuck chuck if a Woodchuck could chuck wood?

:slap:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
But I just wanted to know-
How much wood could a Woodchuck chuck if a Woodchuck could chuck wood?

:slap:
Often have I heard this question. and still have not come up with an adequate answer. even after years of studying the scriptures.

Danmac

The first excavations in Jericho began in 1868 by Charles Warren. and went on to the late 50's of the previous century. including excavations by Kathleen Kenyon who excavated the site in Jericho between 1952-1958.
The main, and perhaps most well researched wall in archaeological Jericho, is dated to much earlier than a time which a Biblical siege on Jericho would take place.
Jericho is one of the oldest settlements in the world. its settlement starting 11,000 years ago. the main wall, and its tower. have been dated to the early Neolithic period in the Levant. in use it is indeed a defensive wall. which indicates an organized social construct at 9000 BCE, in what is now modern Israel and the Palestinian territories. however the period of this wall and its tower is not a Biblical period.

Two questions.

1) Is it true that the walls of Jericho fell inward as opposed to outward, which would indicate a natural disaster, rather than an opposing army hooking to the wall and pulling it down?

2) Have there been any archeological findings that have conflicted with Old Testament writings?

A

angellous_evangellous

Two questions.

1) Is it true that the walls of Jericho fell inward as opposed to outward, which would indicate a natural disaster, rather than an opposing army hooking to the wall and pulling it down?

2) Have there been any archeological findings that have conflicted with Old Testament writings?

(almost all of it, with the exception of some of Jeremiah if he counts literary evidence as archaeological)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hi Dan great thread,i was reading something about a Cannanite Queen "Mistress of the Lioness",a dig in Tel Aviv turned up some Letters and a plaque depecting a Woman in Royal dress,this is interesting if true.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hi Dan great thread,i was reading something about a Cannanite Queen "Mistress of the Lioness",a dig in Tel Aviv turned up some Letters and a plaque depecting a Woman in Royal dress,this is interesting if true.
Hey Robert. The plaque carrying the image of the figure was found a year after I've taken part in excavations in the same site in which it was found. it was found in Tel Bet Shemesh, and not in Tel Aviv. it WAS an excavation run by the Tel Aviv University.
The reason that it is concluded we may very well be dealing with a woman ruler, the first and only in the region. is the hairstyle, and the way she is holding lotus flowers, a woman's attribute.
This may very well be the Mistress of the Lioness, who among other regional and Canaanite rulers of cities sent letters in clay to the Pharaoh requesting military assistance in dealing with renegade rebel groups entering the region.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hey Robert. The plaque carrying the image of the figure was found a year after I've taken part in excavations in the same site in which it was found. it was found in Tel Bet Shemesh, and not in Tel Aviv. it WAS an excavation run by the Tel Aviv University.
The reason that it is concluded we may very well be dealing with a woman ruler, the first and only in the region. is the hairstyle, and the way she is holding lotus flowers, an woman's attribute.
This may very well be the Mistress of the Lioness, who among other regional and Canaanite rulers of cities sent letters in clay to the Pharaoh requesting military assistance in dealing with renegade rebel groups entering the region.

Thanks Dan,interesting that its a Woman in a testosterone fuelled region and the name is kind of exotic, Mistress of the Lioness.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Thanks Dan,interesting that its a Woman in a testosterone fuelled region and the name is kind of exotic, Mistress of the Lioness.
Well testosterone is very good business for women. the Egyptians, Israelites, and others. all document strong female leaders in various historical or dramatic episodes in their society.
Some women, we can trace historically, like Hatshepsut. some the Hebrew Bible documents for us literally or verbally. such as Jezebel, Deborah, and other Israelite, Phoenician or Ethiopian influential regional leaders.
Just like it is today. Israel has known a woman Prime Minister (Golda), in the last elections Tzipi Livni an ex-Mossad agent turned politician was elected by the Israelis to serve as Prime minister, even Islamic countries have known women leaders such as Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan.
I don't see anything out of the usual or abnormal about it.

Last edited:

GabrielWithoutWings

Please expound on the Egyptian word Ma'at other than its usual, simple definitions like 'balance' and 'order' (from the Kemetic thread).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Please expound on the Egyptian word Ma'at other than its usual, simple definitions like 'balance' and 'order' (from the Kemetic thread).
First. I will have to say that balance and order ARE the essentials of Ma'at. as well as social motivation for morals, system of law and government.
Ma'at at its best. is a social and political ideal. starting from the head of the pyramid. which is of course, the Pharaoh.
the Pharaoh, the royal leader of the Egyptian kingdom and land has a very specific role. and this is to keep the order and balance in the kingdom. or to maintain Ma'at over the land. it means in all matters. economy, domestic politics, social stability, justice for the people, repelling foreign entities or invaders.
When it came to political leaders, the viziers, the aristocratic, the elite, the high Egyptian bureaucracy. it meant that these men of influence and authority had to deal justly with the masses, the poor masses. who labour and work the fields daily. and who's life is focused on daily physical labour.
It means remembering where these people are coming from. their daily hardship and routine and to keep it in perspective and mind at all times when dealing with them.
To the priests and the religious bodies and authority it meant, that they must keep and observe the religious practices of the Egyptian religion. they must be proficient with analyzing the movement of the stars. and to maintain an administrative calendar in function at all times.
when it came to the general life in ancient Egypt. to the general people. the general cycle of existence, Egyptian routine and a functioning order or balance in the kingdom. it meant keeping a flowing and healthy agricultural life going across the Nile valley. keeping and watching the cycle of the seasons, be proficient when the flooding of the Nile begins. as the Nile was the only and most vital source of water in Egypt. a barren land of stretching desert. the flooding of the Nile would cause a long term fertility in the land of the Nile valley, and sustained the Egyptian economy and fabric of life for months to come.
The Ancient Egyptians romantically said that the Nile flooded every year because of Isis's tears of sorrow for her dead husband, Osiris.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Well testosterone is very good business for women. the Egyptians, Israelites, and others. all document strong female leaders in various historical or dramatic episodes in their society.
Some women, we can trace historically, like Hatshepsut. some the Hebrew Bible documents for us literally or verbally. such as Jezebel, Deborah, and other Israelite, Phoenician or Ethiopian influential women regional leaders.
Just like it is today. Israel had known a woman Prime Minister (Golda), even Islamic countries have known women leaders such as Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan.
I don't see anything out of the usual or abnormal about it.

Hey i know that there were many important Women in the region i just didn't think they had as much impact as the Men in those times.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Have you ever dropped into a pit of snakes looking for the arc of the convenant or fought undead nazi's like Indiana Jones?

'Cause that would be really cool, if you did.

Oh, I have one follow up ... Do you own a revolver and a bull whip? Aren't those two items, like, standard tools of the trade?

A

angellous_evangellous

Give examples

Well, Jericho is a perfect example. Some archaeologists have argued that Jericho wasn't even inhabited at the time that the biblical story would have taken place.

There's also no evidence at all for the Jews being in Egypt and then conquering Canaan. There's also no evidence for David and Solomon --- some evidence has turned up quite recently and it's being disputed.

There's no evidence for everything in Gen. 1-11.

Last edited by a moderator: