• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Ymir choose a pet!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Over the last few days, I've been toying with the idea of getting a smaller dog breed just for companionship. The critter would have the run of a large yard and would live life like a king or queen. That is a given at Chez Ymir. The other neat idea is that I would have to take the little critter for walks and that would get me out even more than I am and mingling with my fantastic neighbors.

I have ruled out ANY dog breed that drools as part of their character. Think Mastiff, Rottweiler, St. Barnard etc... Plus I've seen the adult versions of those and don't think there is room in my 1300 sq. ft. house. So, that is why I'm think a smaller breed.

When I was a kid, we had two Pomeranian's and they barked their heads off relentlessly over anything. We loved 'em but didn't miss 'em when they finally kicked off.

So, part of me is thinking Beagle, but I've heard they are really finicky to deal with and can have medical issues.
beagle-with-toy-800x534.jpg

I have also had a great German Shepard, MaXx, and think that might be doable again too, but they shed so much hair and can get fairly big....

Price isn't really an object, but I would prefer to do a shelter rescue, if possible.

Any suggestions would be great and if I have it wrong about Beagles PLEASE say so!

Thoughts? Comments?

Full Disclosure: I am not 100% on this, but am looking favorably at the idea. Your thoughts might tip me in the right direction.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've had beagles, nice dogs, nice size, but pretty high strung for hounds. They do need room to run around, plus, they tend to be a little barky when outdoors.
Me, I'd consider a mixed breed from a local shelter or rescue group. Purebreds (read inbreds) are known for medical issues.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe a border collie? That would be my first pick. Highly intelligent, not too big, and pretty. My neighbor has one -- so well behaved, she never barks at me, and she can leap five or six feet to catch a ball or Frisbee.

Following a border collie, a black Labrador. Had one once. Intelligent, hugely loyal, and capable of taking on dogs larger than him. But peace loving overall -- he didn't get in many fights. The downside is their fur is a bit oily.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Yeah, Beagles are notoriously hard to train; they're stubborn and do what they want. My wife had one when we first got married, but it was already pretty old and died a couple of years later, but man, it was hard to deal with!

I had a Miniature Pinscher once that I liked a lot--looked just like a Doberman, but only about a foot high. Easy to train, regal attitude, cute factor... probly won't get one as a rescue, though.

Miniature-Pinscher-e1534276587608.jpg

Axe Elf

Prophet
Shelties are another cool small dog that I've owned... Looks like a Lassie, but only about 15 inches high. They are easy to train, but kind of shy--probably not good if you have a lot of rowdy kids around.

sable-300x237.jpg
220px-Shetland_Sheepdog_and_Rough_Collie.jpg

Lotta work to brush them and stuff too...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I would have gone with German Shepherds. Loyal and true those dogs are.

You sound a bit active and outdoorsy so I would have probably say a Husky Maybe?

Of course that would present a fur problem.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Over the last few days, I've been toying with the idea of getting a smaller dog breed just for companionship. The critter would have the run of a large yard and would live life like a king or queen. That is a given at Chez Ymir. The other neat idea is that I would have to take the little critter for walks and that would get me out even more than I am and mingling with my fantastic neighbors.

I have ruled out ANY dog breed that drools as part of their character. Think Mastiff, Rottweiler, St. Barnard etc... Plus I've seen the adult versions of those and don't think there is room in my 1300 sq. ft. house. So, that is why I'm think a smaller breed.

When I was a kid, we had two Pomeranian's and they barked their heads off relentlessly over anything. We loved 'em but didn't miss 'em when they finally kicked off.

So, part of me is thinking Beagle, but I've heard they are really finicky to deal with and can have medical issues.

I have also had a great German Shepard, MaXx, and think that might be doable again too, but they shed so much hair and can get fairly big....

Price isn't really an object, but I would prefer to do a shelter rescue, if possible.

Any suggestions would be great and if I have it wrong about Beagles PLEASE say so!

Thoughts? Comments?

Full Disclosure: I am not 100% on this, but am looking favorably at the idea. Your thoughts might tip me in the right direction.

How about a German Spitz?

The German Spitz resembles an oversized Pomeranian, but he is his own distinct breed. There are two sizes in the German Spitz, the small or klein and the medium or mittel. He is mischievous, playful and loyal. The German Spitz can be a barker if left with nothing to do, always provide plenty of toys to keep him occupied and give him a job to do. He does have a high prey drive, so he may not mix well with small dogs or other small pets including cats, birds, ferrets and hamsters. It is believed that the German Spitz originated during the first Stone Age as a hunter and companion.
Read more at: German Spitz | Dog Breed Facts and Information - Wag! Dog Walking

upload_2019-1-3_12-46-21.jpeg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe a border collie? That would be my first pick. Highly intelligent, not too big, and pretty. My neighbor has one -- so well behaved, she never barks at me, and she can leap five or six feet to catch a ball or Frisbee.

Following a border collie, a black Labrador. Had one once. Intelligent, hugely loyal, and capable of taking on dogs larger than him. But peace loving overall -- he didn't get in many fights. The downside is their fur is a bit oily.
I love border collies, but aren't they straight out working dogs who need a five or ten mile daily jog to work off their excess energy?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I love border collies, but aren't they straight out working dogs who need a five or ten mile daily jog to work off their excess energy?

I've heard that too, but my neighbor doesn't do much more than play fetch with them every day for about 20 minutes or so.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Shih tzu. Kookie, sweet, intelligent, feisty little shadow dogs. You'll never pee alone again. However, if you're out a lot and the dog will be left alone, they're not the ones. They are prone to some health issues, though.

My male Tyson (l.) and female Ziva (r.), brother and sister. I keep their hair very short, groomer every 6-8 weeks.

Ziva & Tyson.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Just go to the pound and have a look around. Look at their site to see what dogs they have posted. Giving you recommendations won't help since we don't know what dogs the pound will have. I didn't know what I'd get at the pound when I got my dog. I just wanted a dog. It's mostly pit bulls at the pound here so that's what I ended up with.

Good luck with finding a doggie pal and good on you for wanting to adopt.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just go to the pound and have a look around. Look at their site to see what dogs they have posted. Giving you recommendations won't help since we don't know what dogs the pound will have. I didn't know what I'd get at the pound when I got my dog. I just wanted a dog. It's mostly pit bulls at the pound here so that's what I ended up with.

Good luck with finding a doggie pal and good on you for wanting to adopt.
I got MaXx as a rescue animal at the SPCA in Vancouver. He was exceptional from the first time he tried to jump out of his cage at me, LOL. All the other dogs just laid there and did nothing. MaXx was jumping around, "Take me! Take me!" So, I did.

I think you are right though. It's best just to go to a local shelter, then to a vet for a full medical workout. MaXx had "kennel cough" when I got him but was otherwise fine... except he hated adult Chinese males with grey/white hair. He would attack them on-sight and I was never able to break this trait. Think his first owner was an old Chinese guy?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think you are right though. It's best just to go to a local shelter, then to a vet for a full medical workout.
One thing I like about the Humane Society is that, while the dog cost $110, she was vetted. Spayed, shots, everything, it was less than most vets. And the people doing it didn't care much about the money, they were doing it because they are animal lovers.

Hybrid vigor totally trumps papers.
Tom

Nous

Premium Member

Thoughts? Comments?

I eagerly advocate for you to adopt the best TWO at your local shelter who are having difficulty finding a forever family. Two dogs are much, much better than one, because they keep each other company when no one else is at home, and they learn from each other.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I eagerly advocate for you to adopt the best TWO at your local shelter who are having difficulty finding a forever family. Two dogs are much, much better than one, because they keep each other company when no one else is at home, and they learn from each other.
I am quite aware of this and it is an excellent suggestion. Thanks @Nous

I was just looking up the cost of pure bred Beagles and almost choked. Nearby they go for 850.00 to 1400.00 Canadian. That's a lot when there are desperate animals at a shelter -- who are running out of time -- and considerably less expensive.

Notanumber

A Free Man

We used to have a border collie that was a very keen golfer.

She used to have an outrun as though she was going to fetch sheep and could catch the ball after the first bounce.

To save time when she brought it back she would throw it at you from about 10 feet away.

Even though she loved playing golf, she was conscientious and the farm work always came first.

She was a marvellous dog and as bright as a button.

Border collies need exercise and she got plenty, but I couldn’t tire her out even with the driver.

My vote is for a cat. They’re low maintenance and can still be very friendly. That said I have cats and dogs and love them all.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Let me add my vote for a rescue organization. It's important to have a good match. And it's been my experience that even in a breed personality can vary all over the place.

Nous

Premium Member
I am quite aware of this and it is an excellent suggestion. Thanks @Nous

I was just looking up the cost of pure bred Beagles and almost choked. Nearby they go for 850.00 to 1400.00 Canadian. That's a lot when there are desperate animals at a shelter -- who are running out of time -- and considerably less expensive.
The going price for (some) pure bred dogs just blows my mind (more than it was already blown). Every animal I've had as an adult has come from a shelter. At least the ones I (and other people I've known) have gotten somehow kind of understand the situation they are in, and are eternally grateful to their forever-owner/companions who come to rescue them from their places of "detention".