• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with a song

irollk2s

Hi, I'm a 14 year old with a question about a song I listen to. It's by a rapper notorius for his explicit lyrics, however I get all my music censored because I believe that what I listen to can have an effect on me. The song in question has one part when a featured rapper says:

"Now she wanna change her God and the way she pray/
Authentic ****** know that's the playa way"
My question is: Are these lyrics disrespecting God in any way, shape or form? or are they just touching a sensitive topic?:help:

Thanks

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
God would never refer to ANY of his people as "******". I find that word reprehensible no matter who uses it.

meogi

Yes, Notorius is the devil and you shouldn't listen to his hipity-hop music.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
If the ***** is what I think it stand for (I don't know that many five letter curse words), I wouldn't worry about it disrespecting god so much as disrespecting women. (Even if you listen to it censored, the thought behind it is still there. Having the lyrics bleeped out doesn't make the attitude any different.)

It might be easier coming from the viewpoint of my religion, where we tend to worship the goddesses in life. (Also gods, but that's kind of irrelevant here.) Yet I've been reminded on these forums that paganism is not the only path that celebrates the divine in the female. (Thanks, Scott, ND and so many others!)

If your perception of god is a male, picture him briefly as a woman. Would she be happy to be called by that term? (If you answer 'yes', picture her with a frown and a thunder bolt in hand. Would you still want to use it?)

I'm not saying don't listen to someone's music, but understand who it's offensive to.

irollk2s

Wow, sorry I should've specified what that word is, it's a common black slang word, that black people use to refer to themselves and one anothers. It's used frequently in the book Roots. Maybe that'll clear things up.

SoulTYPE

Actualy I know the word, I put 2 and 2 together. Rappers always say "N**ga" and no God wouldn't like it because it is racism.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
irollk2s said:
"Now she wanna change her God and the way she pray/
Authentic ****** know that's the playa way"

My question is: Are these lyrics disrespecting God in any way, shape or form? or are they just touching a sensitive topic?:help:
Thanks
Depends on how you read it or how you want to read it. Some read lyrics
their way and some read it another. The rapper could be using the name
God for someones title. God could mean her man. The way she pray...well?

If I got this right, it could read like these:

ANIMATED%20MUSIC%20STAFF.gif

"Now she wanna change her man and the way she kneels. Authentic ******
know that's the playa way"

Some songs have to rhyme. the way she pray the playa way...it rhymes.
What I typed that could read like it doesn't rhyme at all. It makes it read
like I can't rhyme. I can you know. I really can.

This could mean that the woman likes to change her men and have a variety
and all Authentic ****** know that's the playa way.

It could mean another thing. The rapper could mean that the woman wants
to change from black to white.

It could also mean that she wants to change her religion but what he said
does not necessarily mean something bad or is it offensive. If this is what
he meant, I don't think he means anything offensive towards God as he
means to disrespect those who are the playa.

Or it could mean his way. I don't know his way. But I read it the way I read
it or the way I would/want to read it.

I am not into rap songs. they go to fast and I can't understand them unless I
read the lyrics. Anything else that has lyrics I can understand, is my kind of
music.

changing%20red%20instruments.gif
I could be wrong in all. :bonk:

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
SoulTYPE01 said:
Actualy I know the word, I put 2 and 2 together. Rappers always say "N**ga" and no God wouldn't like it because it is racism.
Would it be racism if they are calling themselves that?
I call myself a Flip. Slang for Philippina. :D

SoulTYPE

mrscarrdero said:
I call myself a Flip. Slang for Philippina. :D
Sure is.

Cantot rofl.

But, given the words before the censored word, it could be BIT*H. I don't find that as bad as the N word, but it still is wrong.

SoulTYPE

I hope I didn't just see yahoo...

Anyways, either word would be not right. But I ignore the explicit lyrics and enjoy the songs.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I have to agree that people perceive lyrics individually. The artist normally targets a particular listening group so probably assumes that his targeted audience can relate to the song.

I like a lot of songs that have explicit and demeaning lyrics but I focus on all aspects of a song. I also think about the story that the artist may be trying to tell with the song. To me music is more than lyrics, I like the beat or rhythm as well.

Heck one of my theme songs is B**ch by Meredith Brooks. I learned how to make certain words that were originally negative and turn them into a positive.

Anyways, the interpretation of a song is as individual as the listeners. If you feel that it is inappropriate based on your own moral values then do what you feel is right.

FBI

SoulTYPE

FyreBrigidIce said:
I
Heck one of my theme songs is B**ch by Meredith Brooks.
You heard "Bloke" by Chris Franklin?:biglaugh: It's an Aussie bloke singing the opposite, basically. About how

"I'm a bloke
I'm an Occa
and I really love ya knockers"

Same music just diff words.

Rex

Founder
At one time, yes it was a "racial" word, but now it's as common as using the word "brother".

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Just a thought -

Since you are 14 and you are listening to music that is censored, perhaps you would be better off expanding your horizons by listening to some other types of music. I'd recommend giving rock and roll a try (combination of lyrics and music) - start with the mid to late 60's and move through the 80's. You might also want to try listening to some classical music (no lyrics), or some folk music from the 60's.

TVOR

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
The Voice of Reason said:
Just a thought -

Since you are 14 and you are listening to music that is censored, perhaps you would be better off expanding your horizons by listening to some other types of music. I'd recommend giving rock and roll a try (combination of lyrics and music) - start with the mid to late 60's and move through the 80's. You might also want to try listening to some classical music (no lyrics), or some folk music from the 60's.

TVOR
Agree...be open minded. I didn't know about other music out there until I met carrdero. He opened me to varieties of music from way back when. I mean...Cab Calloway, Frank Zappa, Oingo Boingo, and many more. WOW! Who Knew?

tn_CallowayCab3copy_jpg.jpg

SoulTYPE

Most 14 year olds these dyas listen to whatever is "popular", with the fear of being "uncool".
It's more of a name thing than a talent thing.

Stuff Duff.