• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with a song

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I was shocked the other day to hear "The Sounds of Silence" coming from my 15 yo son's room.

"Listening to the Oldies Station?"

"Naw, I mave it as an MP3"

You could have knocked me over with a feather. When he heard my CD in the car, he asked to borrow it and I have heard him playing it almost every day.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'm with Feathersinhair on this one; I haven't a clue about the word, neither do I want to know it.

I am always - let's say 'disappointed' at vulgarity (I really sound like a snob!!Help"!!). I have always tried hard not to appear so, and I don't have anything against those who use what I consider vulgarity; if that is O.K with them, then so be it.

The rule I made for my kids on this subject was "Mum and I don't like words like that; I understand that you might need to use them at school and with friends so as not to seem 'different', but, please, not in our house".
For us, it has worked:)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, ND, I'm reminded that some songs and music transcend age gaps. In sixth grade, I became hopelessly obessessed with Simon and Garfunkel. Many of their lyrics (or Simon's lyrics, I should say) are rather like poetry you can sing along with.

Michel, that's a lovely way of putting it! I've worked with many people (and many kids, back when I worked in a PMIC) that think the only way of communicating is through cursing. It's invariably what they brought up hearing, and some have never learned the vocabulary to express their anger, frustration, or other feelings adequently.

(And FBI, you're right! I love that Merideth Brooks song, thanks for reminding me of it! Maybe one of the reasons I like it, though, is that it is celebrating all of the aspects of womanhood.)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
FeathersinHair said:
... In sixth grade, I became hopelessly obessessed with Simon and Garfunkel. Many of their lyrics (or Simon's lyrics, I should say) are rather like poetry you can sing along with.
I agree completely, Feathers. If you love the poetry of Paul Simon, you should read the lyrics to the songs written by William (Smokey) Robinson of "Smokey Robinson and the Miracles" fame. Do a Google search and find some of the lyrics to songs such as "The Tears of a Clown". It is almost unfathomable to me, that a man that grew up dirt poor would be able to incorporate a reference to the tragic operatic clown "Pagliacci" into a song, much less make it rhyme, and be in rhythm. Absolutely stunning lyrics. Also, check out the lyrics to "I Second That Emotion". Sweet.

He has been called the "Greatest Living Poet in America" by none other than Rod McKuen.

As an added treat, if you can find a picture of his face, he has a rather remarkable trait - he is an African American with green eyes. They are not colored by contact lenses - they are truly green. I remember very clearly the first time I realized this. Perhaps it is not as uncommon as I believe it to be, but as a young man, it was the first time I ever encountered it.

irollk2s

I listen to whatever I like really. My music collection has everything from Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, to ACDC to Lil' Jon and the Eastside Boyz lol