• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! I'm A Weird Christian

no-body

So how is it that God makes rules that are 'just unnecessary'?

That is within every persons heart to discover on their own. The bible is obviously corrupted to a certain degree one can use it as a guide post and consider Jesus as a very wise prophet to model themselves after. That should be enough to be a "Christian"

But then again I personally despise the baggage attached to Christianity and would never consider myself a Christian so I cannot really debate this further with you. Just trying to convey to you a certain point of view to you that I might not necessarily agree with but that you don't either.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't really seem to fit in anywhere. I'm a semi-progressive Christian with many unorthodox beliefs. Here's just a few: 1) I don't believe much of the Old Testament was inspired, 2) I do believe almost all of the New Testament was inspired, 3) I do believe God works personally in our lives.

Even though I could say the Apostle's Creed with a straight face, most Christians would shun me: I believe in evolution and don't believe in a Dante-like hell for crying out loud!

Anyway, have you ever heard of anyone like me? Please, I feel very alone and would like to meet someone with similar beliefs, but I'm not sure there is anyone out there!

Thanks in advance...

I think a lot of what you're saying has merit, and as a Christian, it certainly doesn't offend me.

1. The Old Testament is really REALLY weird. I don't understand lots of it.

2. I agree with you about the New Testament.

3. I believe that God works personally in our lives and that He has an individual plan for each of us.

4. I believe that evolution could definitely be the way that God created humans. Don't have a problem with it at all.

5. I believe that Hell is separation from God. After that - not sure.

From what I've discovered after living on this earth for nearly 50 years, I think there are lots of people like me out there. And like you!

Oh, I am also definitely post trib when it comes to the rapture.

By the way, I attend a Methodist Church. It's not a perfect fit, but it's close.

Last edited:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I respectfully disagree. Jesus COMPLETELY changed everything. There is almost NO similarity in the way the early disciples lived and the Jews of the same day.

A person can argue that there are metaphorical similarities such as the fact there is communion/Eucharist versus a Passover, etc. But when it comes to practical day-to-day spirituality and theology, you could not have more opposite views.

Let me give just one example: Jesus and Paul's emphasis on faith is only VERY briefly touched upon in the Old Testament.

There is no end to the mind-bending, earth-moving changes that Jesus brought about and I love everyone of them.

St. Francis was very impressive, but he didn't (of course) have the insight of Jesus. Jesus was literally millenia ahead of his time in many key ways. And that's to be expected...
Theology, yes very different. Day-to-day spirituality no, we are very similar.

Christians follow the law though may not recognize it. We follow similar ideas, such as helping the poor and thous down on their luck. Jews still value faith. One must have faith to believe in the covenant of Mt. Sinai, to circumcise themselves and to follow all of thous mitzvot.

Spirituality wise, Id say follow that link in my sig, and try to tell me that is not compatible with a person of Christian faith.

Judaism and Christianity are very similar when you leave theology out of it. Such is something some people in both camps would not like to acknowledge, but it is the truth. After all, The God of the Jews is the God of the world.

A

angellous_evangellous

Not so good for people who think that they can drone through a creed and go out and do unspeakable acts, anyway.

Do you think that people can do unspeakable acts without a creed?

CLM9999

I think a lot of what you're saying has merit, and as a Christian, it certainly doesn't offend me.

1. The Old Testament is really REALLY weird. I don't understand lots of it.

2. I agree with you about the New Testament.

3. I believe that God works personally in our lives and that He has an individual plan for each of us.

4. I believe that evolution could definitely be the way that God created humans. Don't have a problem with it at all.

5. I believe that Hell is separation from God. After that - not sure.

From what I've discovered after living on this earth for nearly 50 years, I think there are lots of people like me out there. And like you!

Oh, I am also definitely post trib when it comes to the rapture.

By the way, I attend a Methodist Church. It's not a perfect fit, but it's close.

Thx for the commentary. Btw, John Wesley was one impressive human being (except for his marriage)...

CLM9999

Theology, yes very different. Day-to-day spirituality no, we are very similar.

Christians follow the law though may not recognize it. We follow similar ideas, such as helping the poor and thous down on their luck. Jews still value faith. One must have faith to believe in the covenant of Mt. Sinai, to circumcise themselves and to follow all of thous mitzvot.

Spirituality wise, Id say follow that link in my sig, and try to tell me that is not compatible with a person of Christian faith.

Judaism and Christianity are very similar when you leave theology out of it. Such is something some people in both camps would not like to acknowledge, but it is the truth. After all, The God of the Jews is the God of the world.

Well, I don't want to argue with you - you seem like a nice person that wants agreement and harmony. I'm not saying Christians and Jews can't live harmoniously and don't share a belief in one God. However, I still feel like you're avoiding how much Jesus revolutionized the beliefs of his day and that's what I'm talking about.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I feel the same way Jesus/Paul did:

They were very respectful of the O.T. but threw it out for all practical purposes. Think about it: the tithe, all the Law, circumcision, all the temple ceremonies, the violence, polygamy and on and on - Jesus/Peter/Paul threw it all out. I could go on and on about this, but if you'll stop and think about it, there is virtually nothing that a modern Christian follows in the Old Testament.
:)
i understand that
but didn't the idea of a messiah come from a jewish tradition in the first place...?

Villager

Do you think that people can do unspeakable acts without a creed?
Of course they can. Creeds arose because creedless people did unspeakable acts. The problem was, they didn't make a lot of difference. Especially to the people who devised the creeds!

A

angellous_evangellous

Of course they can. Creeds arose because creedless people did unspeakable acts. The problem was, they didn't make a lot of difference. Especially to the people who devised the creeds!

:rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't really seem to fit in anywhere. I'm a semi-progressive Christian with many unorthodox beliefs. Here's just a few: 1) I don't believe much of the Old Testament was inspired, 2) I do believe almost all of the New Testament was inspired, 3) I do believe God works personally in our lives.

Even though I could say the Apostle's Creed with a straight face, most Christians would shun me: I believe in evolution and don't believe in a Dante-like hell for crying out loud!

Anyway, have you ever heard of anyone like me? Please, I feel very alone and would like to meet someone with similar beliefs, but I'm not sure there is anyone out there!

Thanks in advance...
I bet this will really surprise you, but a lot of Mormons believe pretty much as you do, with the following exception: I'd say most of us do believe the Old Testament was inspired, but we recognize that not every word of it is to be interpreted literally. We definitely believe that God works personally in our lives. Many of us believe in evolution, and virtually none of us believe in a Dante-like hell. As a matter of fact, one of the essential doctrines of our faith is that of a universal reconciliation of mankind with God.

The reason some of our beliefs are so different from those of traditional Christians is that we believe men changed the Church Jesus Christ established once His Apostles were killed. We believe the original doctrines he taught were lost for centuries but have been restored today.

Last edited:

CLM9999

I bet this will really surprise you, but a lot of Mormons believe pretty much as you do, with the following exception: I'd say most of us do believe the Old Testament was inspired, but we recognize that not every word of it is to be interpreted literally. We definitely believe that God works personally in our lives. Many of us believe in evolution, and virtually none of us believe in a Dante-like hell. As a matter of fact, one of the essential doctrines of our faith is that of a universal reconciliation of mankind with God.

The reason some of our beliefs are so different from those of traditional Christians is that we believe men changed the Church Jesus Christ established once His Apostles were killed. We believe the original doctrines he taught were lost for centuries but have been restored today.

I've got a number of Mormon friends and colleagues and they're usually great people. But I very much disagree with exaltation, the temple ceremonies and all the other post-masonic Joseph Smith additions to LDS theology.

The good news (in my mind) is that we have over the last century seen a "Christianization" of the Mormon Church. The same thing happened with the SDA church. All the weird stuff eventually gets diluted and deleted. (Examples: temple marriage ceremony modification, change in church policy toward the "Caananites" - you know what I mean - and so on.)

CLM9999

:)
i understand that
but didn't the idea of a messiah come from a jewish tradition in the first place...?

Sure. I didn't mean to go too far with things. Again, I'm just saying that Jesus revolutionized the religious and spiritual practice of His day...

Protester

This is not a debate forum so I don't want to get too into it, but I hear double speak in those words. Love eventually turns into "you have to follow these set of black and white rules" it just takes a long convoluted way for so called real Christians to say it so they can claim it is from God.

As this short monograph points out, Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law? Christ pointed out nine of the ten commandments, all except that about the Sabbath and of course:

Matthew 22:37 And He said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.'
38 "This is the great and foremost commandment.
39 "The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

John 10:9 "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.---Scripture Quotations Taken from the NASB

It really is black and white, and there is really nothing to debate about when it comes to the major points of Christianity.

no-body

It really is black and white, and there is really nothing to debate about when it comes to the major points of Christianity.

In your mind, of course. But you don't own the label of Christianity.

I wouldn't try to debate with anyone who believes their way is the only way anyways since it is pointless.

A

angellous_evangellous

In your mind, of course. But you don't own the label of Christianity.

That's right. :yes:

It is I who owns all the rights to the label "Christian" and all its derivatives.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Thanks in advance...

I don't think you are quite as "weird" as you think. I have had similar problems. I did not go to Church, hear a preacher and become saved, instead, I read the entire New Testament in one day and I had never actually had gone to any Church (except once or twice with a friend). Therefore, my beliefs do vary from other Christians.
Keep in mind that not everyone is going to think alike. And if someone agrees or disagrees with your Christianity, it is to be expected. We all have different experiences in life, different values, different upbringing, different cultures, and so on.
If you can't find a denomination, you can go to different services to find which one best fits your needs. You may not find anyone who is a TOTAL agreement with your beliefs, but you should find someone at least who is pretty close to them.
Welcome to the RF and God bless you. :)