• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! I'm A Weird Christian

CLM9999

It seems to me that set of views is quite popular in Christianity. You'd fit in nicely in a church with a liberal tradition -- not evangelicalism.

I hope you're right. I have to be honest, though, and say that I really don't see a lot of difference between typical liberal Christianity and the typical secular person. Imo the reason is the lack of the belief that God really interacts much with us down here on earth.

In fact, wouldn't you agree that most liberal Christians are somewhat "deistic"? I still think that God is very active...

What I was hoping was that there was some niche of liberal Christians that were somewhat close to what I believed?

Am I dreaming?

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Many Catholics believe in evolution, though acknowledge Gods hand in it all.

The Vatican.

And there has been plenty of christians who don't believe in hell.

The Eastern Orthodox Church. In the EOC belief, hell is eternal separation from God, not flames. Not being with God is the torment, not the flames.

I was both RC and EO. Not at the same time, of course. :p

A

angellous_evangellous

I hope you're right. I have to be honest, though, and say that I really don't see a lot of difference between typical liberal Christianity and the typical secular person. Imo the reason is the lack of the belief that God really interacts much with us down here on earth.

In fact, wouldn't you agree that most liberal Christians are somewhat "deistic"? I still think that God is very active...

What I was hoping was that there was some niche of liberal Christians that were somewhat close to what I believed?

Am I dreaming?

Yes, and the niche is rather large. It may seem small to you now, but you could literally google churches in your area (if you're in a reasonably sized city), close your eyes and pick one at random and you'd probably fit in just fine.

no-body

As was mentioned your theology matches Mennonites pretty closely but I don't think you will find an exact match. You could always try a more liberal church like the Unitarian Universalist who will let you do your own thing or just Unitarians who are also pretty close in what you believe, as long as you reject the trinity anyway.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't really seem to fit in anywhere. I'm a semi-progressive Christian with many unorthodox beliefs. Here's just a few: 1) I don't believe much of the Old Testament was inspired, 2) I do believe almost all of the New Testament was inspired, 3) I do believe God works personally in our lives.

Even though I could say the Apostle's Creed with a straight face, most Christians would shun me: I believe in evolution and don't believe in a Dante-like hell for crying out loud!

Anyway, have you ever heard of anyone like me? Please, I feel very alone and would like to meet someone with similar beliefs, but I'm not sure there is anyone out there!

Thanks in advance...

with regards to the inspiration of the jewish tradition and the christian one, how can you reconcile your position of ignoring the jewish tradition when it is the foundation for the christian one?

Villager

I could say the Apostle's Creed with a straight face
Like many millions of pagans have recited it, mindlessly, since it was written (and written not by apostles, who had much higher standards than the devil's creeds).

I believe in evolution
Like everyone else. Don't worry about that.

don't believe in a Dante-like hell
No doubt God can fix that, if he thinks it would be interesting.

A

angellous_evangellous

Like many millions of pagans have recited it, mindlessly, since it was written (and written not by apostles, who had much higher standards than the devil's creeds).

.... or mindlessly rejected it...

Villager

So is it to be understood that people who recite a creed, then go out and commit horrendous crimes, are Christians? It would be good to make a few basic definitions.

A

angellous_evangellous

So is it to be understood that people who recite a creed, then go out and commit horrendous crimes, are Christians? It would be good to make a few basic definitions.

... only good for people who can think.

Villager

Not so good for people who think that they can drone through a creed and go out and do unspeakable acts, anyway.

no-body

Labels are ultimately meaningless so I think as long as you make a reasonably convincing case to yourself is all that really matters. The fundamentalist are going to say you aren't this or that over some little quibbling belief no matter what so be happy with the label you pick even if you deviate wildly. Their anger is amusing and their own problem. It's between you and God anyway.

Villager

a reasonably convincing case to yourself
The trouble with that is that we can easily give ourselves standards that are too convenient. There is an objective standard in the sole agreed Christian source, the Bible. It does not specify the use of creeds, not of the sort that are in common use, anyway.

no-body

The trouble with that is that we can easily give ourselves standards that are too convenient. There is an objective standard in the sole agreed Christian source, the Bible. It does not specify the use of creeds, not of the sort that are in common use, anyway.

That is fine for you but some people can't reconcile their reasoning to the rigid codes of the bible as "God's word" It is either follow their heart or don't be Christian at all. Nobody owns the label "Christian"

Villager

The only rigid codes in the Bible are no longer applicable. The 'command' now is to love. That does not produce obedience to a command as such, but the response of love, to love. Christians love because Christ loved. The necessary pre-requisite is awareness of God's perfection, and one's own sinfulness, because without that contrasting sense, one will never love enough to change one's lifestyle. So it really is a matter of following one's heart, or one cannot be a Christian. Nobody can do that for another.