• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help for people struggling with depression

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Depression is a big problem for many people.

I was just wondering whether you good people have any words of wisdom that you would like to share that might help those who are struggling with depression.

Let's have one thread that actually helps people - I realise that's a very radical idea but you never know - it might just work :)

How about a conversation?

I'll start things off with this link -

Thirteen inspirational cartoons…

I have MANY more where that came from but don't really want to dominate the discussion!

Wishing you all the very best!

Nous

Premium Member
Depression is a big problem for many people.

I was just wondering whether you good people have any words of wisdom that you would like to share that might help those who are struggling with depression.

Let's have one thread that actually helps people - I realise that's a very radical idea but you never know - it might just work :)

How about a conversation?

I'll start things off with this link -

Thirteen inspirational cartoons…

I have MANY more where that came from but don't really want to dominate the discussion!

Wishing you all the very best!
Exercise. A regular exercise program. Studies show exercise to be at least as effective and longer lasting, but without the adverse effects (indeed with beneficial physiological effects), as any pharmacological intervention.

MohammadPali

Walking, just walk, forget everything. You have a problem ? Don't sweat it, lets walk. Too many of us in the united states suffer from depression. Theres too many things going on. And all we do is sit down, we shouldn't do that to ourselves. Lets take a walk. Whatever problems I had or have, I realize that someone else has a much bigger problem, and I am grateful for whatever I have.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It depends on the cause of the depression. Depression after a severe loss is different than depression with no identifiable cause. So that would be my first question.

Exercise, good food, practicing gratitude etc are good especially if there's a known cause or if the depression is mild. But severe, lingering depression needs some form of clinical intervention. It might be a drug side-effect, caused by a disease or something else. So that's another focus area.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Face depression itself and see it for what it is. If you understand something better, understand how comes about and what it does, it's possible the familiarity with the feelings of depression and such could help lessen the effects whenever depression arises.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember anything at all. There's no easy answer to this because no two people seem to find the same effective solution. The best thing I've ever done, personally, is to surround myself with people who understand or are willing to try to understand. That alone has lifted a lot of my burden.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I've suffered from depression for as long as I can remember anything at all. There's no easy answer to this because no two people seem to find the same effective solution. The best thing I've ever done, personally, is to surround myself with people who understand or are willing to try to understand. That alone has lifted a lot of my burden.

Yes. Life is very tough without proper emotional support!

Wishing you all the best

Thanks for sharing!