• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello I have a question about churches!

luzianne

Hello I'm new here and I hope I'm in the right place. At the beginning of this year I used to belong to a very domineering church. They claimed to believe in the bible but they practiced discipling which means they assigned you a person to dictate how to live your life what the bible REALLY says and how often you are to attend meetings.If you don't do what your discipler says or what to believe in you are not a christian They also believe the are the true church of Christ. I left the church and now I'm looking for another church. Any suggestions would be helpful. I believe in God and that the bible is the true word of God. God is a loving God and through His Spirit will help us through everything, also He doesn't condemn us if we are true believers and if our sins are forgiven. Thank you.:angel2:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Are you after a denomination, or a church church? :)
I'm going to suggest a Non-Denominational church, or Evangelical/Pentecostal church, or an Anglican one? :D

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
You could always try a new one each week. You could attend without being a member of the parish. If any churches object to that they are not the ones for you either.

Onkara

God is a loving God and through His Spirit will help us through everything, also He doesn't condemn us if we are true believers and if our sins are forgiven

Sounds as if you already have a strong foundation. Why not consider a more liberal church which does not demand too much of you and see if you blossom best in fresh light with lots of space. :flower:

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

I would suggest you investigate far and wide, and check into many different churches!

This includes a very wide spectrum: various Christian groups, Hindus, Jews, Zoroastrians, Buddhists, Muslims, and Baha'is, to name a few! Be sure to do all this with an open mind free of prejudice ("pre-judging").

Then you can evaluate them intelligently and choose the one that you conclude is the best choice!

Not a trivial exercise, but (I suggest) a highly beneficial one--and indeed, one that ideally, EVERYONE should go through!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We are all likely to recommend our own churches.
If you are looking for a broad undogmatic church that puts a higher value on Worship than dogma.

And is happy to accept for a heretic like me to think for myself.

Then The Anglican / Episcopal church, might be near your mark.

But not to worry, it has taken me over 70 years to understand what I believe.
And all that time God has loved me anyway.

look3467

Premium Member
My experience is that you will not find the church without the experience.
Let me explain, you have already experienced your dissatisfaction with one church, meaning that you are in a quest for a deeper relationship with God.

God knows your hearts intent, and if you continue to pursue your quest, God will lead you through some hoops in the truth seeking OJT if you will, meaning that different tries at different church may be the trial in your quest.

You see, the good thing about seeking truth is that God will make Himself to be found at His determination based on your desire, your willingness to make changes in your life and getting a good coverage of knowledge of the bible.

The foundation which no man can lay that has been laid is Jesus Christ.

As long as you stand on that foundation, and let not the world dissuade you from it, you are safe, secure and unafraid to continue seeking.

So, my answer to you is to continue in prayer asking for wisdom in understanding, exercising patience as God works with you, continue to seek a place of worship.

May God continue to bless your search, AJ

Metalic Wings

I have to agree with what everyone has said.

Strict rules aren't for everyone. I'm in the same kind of situation. Really, the best route is probably finding a church that focuses more on the spiritual than the religion (if that makes any sense).

look3467

Premium Member
I have to agree with what everyone has said.

Strict rules aren't for everyone. I'm in the same kind of situation. Really, the best route is probably finding a church that focuses more on the spiritual than the religion (if that makes any sense).
Non-denominational churches are a variety.
Pick one that has a good number of people attending.

Blessings, AJ

Amigo

Hello I'm new here and I hope I'm in the right place. At the beginning of this year I used to belong to a very domineering church. They claimed to believe in the bible but they practiced discipling which means they assigned you a person to dictate how to live your life what the bible REALLY says and how often you are to attend meetings.If you don't do what your discipler says or what to believe in you are not a christian They also believe the are the true church of Christ. I left the church and now I'm looking for another church. Any suggestions would be helpful. I believe in God and that the bible is the true word of God. God is a loving God and through His Spirit will help us through everything, also He doesn't condemn us if we are true believers and if our sins are forgiven. Thank you.:angel2:

Allow to give you some councils:
1. Do not search for that Church which representatives are amazed by self-conceit and which doctrine is a fabrication human, created for Gratifications to people, and acquisitions of new members.
2. Do not search for that Church which promises to you of automatic rescue. After all such Church, looks in the heart of the Hearts on you as on a thing. This Church will not love you on the present. As the love is impossible without freedom.
And having freedom, nobody can guarantee to anybody rescue.
3. Do not search for Church for idle prodriving time. Church it not theatre, not a circle on Bible studying.
4. Do not search for Church which have arisen recently. From which doctrine follows that the Christ whom God is - Has not managed to base invincible Church, and here the person Grem or Luther by name Beat or still somebody has managed …
I.e. do not listen to those who puts the person above God. The church cannot be created, it is possible to join it only.
5. Remember that if you search for God it is necessary to search its all heart, and to be ready to leaving
With the passions. All who to you will indulge, and to say that without change of heart and participation in the Christ
It is possible to have rescue – all lie to you, and wish your death. The Christ has told that if who will not have
With me of a part will not have a life eternal.
6. Pray to God that it has resulted you in true Church. But know: without a feat it is impossible to come to Church.
You should struggle with yourselves, and with temptations. Because when the Satan sees that the person is on a right way to God - He tries to turn on in every possible way it from it. Therefore be typed determination to pass a way up to the end.
7. The true Church does not speak about a happy life on the earth. The Christ does not say that if will go with me, at you
Affairs on work or in relations with associates will better go. No, the Christ promises only one: illnesses, sufferings, griefs
– «Many griefs should enter you into the Kingdom of God». Not one any grief will be with you, and very many …
But the Christ promises that that who will resist up to the end - will escape from a hell.

yogidog

I go to the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. I believe they try to follow the Bible. You must realize though that all men are imperfect. That means that within any organization, sometimes indivivuals will get under your skin. But as far as someone else being assigned to oversee your every step, we do not practice anything like that. I have been attending for 37 years, and people have not nit picked at my way of life. Here is a general rule that should be followed:

(Matthew 23:9-12) . . .Moreover, do not call anyone YOUR father on earth, for one is YOUR Father, the heavenly One. 10 Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one, the Christ. 11 But the greatest one among YOU must be YOUR minister. 12 Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Finding the church is like finding a life partner. So much to consider. IMO, I think, you would want to look at the traditions and belief that the denomination is trying to teach. You going to have to get some input on the church from other churches. People often "love 'their' church" so asking paritioners isnt always going to give you the information you might want to have about the church. But judging by your remarks, YOU NEED TO KNOW. "Cultic behaviour" (I use the word cultic in mostly the sociological definition) is found in every every movement. F00D-FOR-THOUGHT ....... People dont always make decisions using a purely rational "thoughtful" approach. Emotions play a role, we all have them and sometimes they can color an experience (I cannot say if they do with you). You can always do what the Youth often do which is to go to various churches and if a 'believer' invites you to come along. Sure, go twice. Might be a neat experience for you. I hope that is both helpful and useful 'approach' :angel2:

Last edited: