• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hebrew language

Tumah

Veteran Member
שלום

Anyone able to recommend a good, affordable, program to learn modern Hebrew?
What do you need to learn already? You can read and write שלום! What more do you need?

I don't have any experience with this, but I heard that the Yiddish version was supposed to be a good way to get the basics.

Edit: I just realized that I don't know if you need to be able to read Hebrew letters in order to start with that.

Levite

Higher and Higher
שלום

Anyone able to recommend a good, affordable, program to learn modern Hebrew?

I know a couple of people who got a decent start on basic modern Hebrew with Rosetta Stone. But in the end, if you really want to learn it, nothing will replace an ulpan (immersion course), preferably in Israel....

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I can read Hebrew, not perfectly and slowly. But I lack comprehension. I want to learn and be fluent.

Im not really religious. But I use my copy of סדור שים שהלום to practice (plus I love the prayers).

The book looks great. I will make sure to look for it at the library. I'd. Need to check ot out before buying

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I know a couple of people who got a decent start on basic modern Hebrew with Rosetta Stone. But in the end, if you really want to learn it, nothing will replace an ulpan (immersion course), preferably in Israel....
I was thinking of Rosetta stone. But it's a bit pricey. Same with going to Israel, though. I doubt I could anyway.

But I have read that full immersion is the easiest way to learn. Though i could just imagine how silly to the natives you wll sound.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I was thinking of Rosetta stone. But it's a bit pricey. Same with going to Israel, though. I doubt I could anyway.

But I have read that full immersion is the easiest way to learn. Though i could just imagine how silly to the natives you wll sound.
That's true with any language. Although to be honest, doing that here won't be so effective as most people you run into here will speak English.
I don't know anything about Rosetta stone or any of those things though, sorry.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
That's true with any language. Although to be honest, doing that here won't be so effective as most people you run into here will speak English.
I don't know anything about Rosetta stone or any of those things though, sorry.
I didn't know most Israelis can speak English. That would make the idea of visiting less filled with anxiety.

Flankerl

I didn't know most Israelis can speak English. That would make the idea of visiting less filled with anxiety.

Well I guess it depends who you run into. But how would you know without going?

Small Anecdote: I often hear about people coming to Austria or Germany to get more fluent in German. And then they realise that the people they encounter use them to practice their English. :D

Tumah

Veteran Member
Well I guess it depends who you run into. But how would you know without going?

Small Anecdote: I often hear about people coming to Austria or Germany to get more fluent in German. And then they realise that the people they encounter use them to practice their English. :D
Not so small. Its happen really often, when someone will hear me talking English and all of a sudden start dropping English words in their conversations.