• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
What would heaven be like if everything you most enjoy in life isn't part of it? As a unique individual with personal tastes and preferences, the realization that these are not predominately shared by my root system, which stem from the bible is concerning. At least, they are sometimes shunned. Things such as sexual attraction to the opposite sex, and having an alcoholic beverage from time to time, and things like expressive sexuality. I thought these were the basics of human continuation and happiness. Why would I choose the opposite for myself?

cataway

What would heaven be like if everything you most enjoy in life isn't part of it? As a unique individual with personal tastes and preferences, the realization that these are not predominately shared by my root system, which stem from the bible is concerning. At least, they are sometimes shunned. Things such as sexual attraction to the opposite sex, and having an alcoholic beverage from time to time, and things like expressive sexuality. I thought these were the basics of human continuation and happiness. Why would I choose the opposite for myself?
you need not worry. Heaven was not promised . the thing promised can be found a John 3:16

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
What would heaven be like if everything you most enjoy in life isn't part of it?

What would Heaven be like if it’s full of people who want one sensual gratification after another?

As a unique individual with personal tastes and preferences, the realization that these are not predominately shared by my root system, which stem from the bible is concerning.

Throughout Revelation, there are scenes of liturgical worship in Heaven. Perhaps you might ask yourself what it is that you need for everlasting fulfillment rather than everlasting gratification.

I thought these were the basics of human continuation and happiness. Why would I choose the opposite for myself?

These things come with their pains.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yea, living forever in church for all eternity dosent sound too appealing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you assume you will carry the same attachments and desires you have now past your death?

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It goes beyond sexual gratification. We're created a certain way, we grow into what we are inherently, and as we grow and develop, we are influenced by the many variables present in life. All this adds to our unique individuality. There are a few constants, one of which is and has always been of preservation and continuance of our kind. This isn't isolated to humans, but rather extends to all things that live. Besides, variety is typically a good thing as is being unique as individuals. I'd hate to think I'd be satisfied with myself if I didn't stand out to some extent from every one else. The point is, I have no idea why the things i listed are sometimes shunned as being things to be ashamed of. We don't see this play out in other types of life forms. Humans are weird. I don't understand them. In the end, I guess we get what we choose in life, and the things we shun fade.

King Phenomenon

Heaven is here. There is no other “realm”.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I don't believe that the spiritual world is a static place that is limited to only heaven and hell and is subject to the laws of space and time. In fact, I don't believe in the biblical teaching of heaven or hell or what the Bible teaches about the afterlife and its claims about what happens to people after they die and crossover. I don't want to derail your thread with a long explanation of what I believe and why I have these beliefs, so in case you're interested, I've discussed what I believe about the afterlife and what happens to people after they die in other threads, such as these two here and here. And, in case you read these posts, I'd like for you to know that I won't debate with you about what I wrote in them, and I explained why I don't debate in my previous post here. To be honest, it doesn't matter to me whether you accept what I wrote in these posts. You have to decide for yourself whether you believe me or not.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I don't believe that the spiritual world is a static place that is limited to only heaven and hell and is subject to the laws of space and time. In fact, I don't believe in the biblical teaching of heaven or hell or what the Bible teaches about the afterlife and its claims about what happens to people after they die and crossover. I don't want to derail your thread with a long explanation of what I believe and why I have these beliefs, so in case you're interested, I've discussed what I believe about the afterlife and what happens to people after they die in other threads, such as these two here and here. And, in case you read these posts, I'd like for you to know that I won't debate with you about what I wrote in them, and I explained why I don't debate in my previous post here. To be honest, it doesn't matter to me whether you accept what I wrote in these posts. You have to decide for yourself whether you believe me or not.

I have no reason to argue over what you view the afterlife to consist of. The purpose for starting this thread was based on how others who are different than myself think I should be, and these opinions are typically based on their own povs, which more often than not are dominated by larger groups. Individuality is an important aspect of being human, as is self acknowledgement of how we are. We're not going to ever be satisfactory to some types of people, but it is in this reality that we discover where we belong. I think it's great to be able to understand this about ourselves and others. I view heaven in a similar fashion. Values are magnetic after all.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What would heaven be like if everything you most enjoy in life isn't part of it?
In that case it would not feel like heaven to me. It might feel like hell.
As a unique individual with personal tastes and preferences, the realization that these are not predominately shared by my root system, which stem from the bible is concerning. At least, they are sometimes shunned. Things such as sexual attraction to the opposite sex, and having an alcoholic beverage from time to time, and things like expressive sexuality. I thought these were the basics of human continuation and happiness. Why would I choose the opposite for myself?
Do you believe you are going to be able to choose what heaven will be like?
Logically speaking, if God created heaven, heaven will be what God created.

I think it is important to know what we can know about heaven for two reasons:

1) So we won't have any false expectations
2) so we can prepare for heaven while we are still on earth

cataway

According to your preferred religious beliefs, of course, but I'm sure you realize that even if you didn't explicitly state it in your post.
from the bible, John 6:68 Simon Peter answered him: “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life."
He did not say you have sayings ''of going off to heaven'' your life is the thing being lost, you will in time or by an unforeseen occurrence end up dead.

what hope for the dead ? John 11:25

Jesus said to her: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life;

cataway

ok, you may think you know something .what do you know about what the Bible teaches about the afterlife and its claims about what happens to people after they die?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
you need not worry. Heaven was not promised . the thing promised can be found a John 3:16
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What does the Bible mean by life everlasting?

It means "forever". It means when life ends here, it continues somewhere else. The Bible uses the phrase in a positive sense. It is a quality of life that begins on earth and continues in heaven (Romans 6:4). It's something Jesus gives next to which all other life just isn't quite life at all.

What is Eternal Life? - Community Grace Brethren Church

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'd rather be master and commander of my own feelings, than to be constantly subjected to desires for which I have little control. Being a slave to desire isn't heaven at all. Heaven is knowing best about what to go for and what to not go for. Sometimes attractions lead astray. Sometimes they are a mirage of something better than what is. It's best to know better than to fall into the wrong hands.

Heaven for me is defaulting to peace, joy, and fulfillment with love with full wisdom. If I had to start all over and be subjected to the falls of what seems to be, I'd rather not go through that again. Without wisdom comes divorcement. There's the love a person falls for vs. the ones they'd choose outright.

Others feel differently I'm sure. Perhaps for some youth is bliss.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

It means "forever". It means when life ends here, it continues somewhere else. The Bible uses the phrase in a positive sense. It is a quality of life that begins on earth and continues in heaven (Romans 6:4). It's something Jesus gives next to which all other life just isn't quite life at all.

I think it's unfortunate that so many people believe the Bible's teachings about the afterlife, which are erroneous and misleading. You know why I believe this to be true. Sadly, not many of these poor souls realize that the Bible's claims about the afterlife are wrong until it's too late, and they now need help.

Last edited:

cataway

"What does the Bible mean by life everlasting?" right now you are living .if you never died , that would be life everlasting. man dies now because of the inheritance of sin. death is the end of man nothing about you go's floating off , mankind's death is the same as it is for a cow a cat or a dog . dead means dead . there is how ever a way out of death .John 3:16

cataway

I think it's unfortunate that so many people believe the Bible's teachings about the afterlife, which are very erroneous and misleading. You know why I believe this to be true. Sadly, not many of these poor souls realize that the Bible's claims about the afterlife are wrong and misleading until it's too late.
you say afterlife ,what it really is , is continued life.