• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heaven is a Police State

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
the quote you chose describes heaven.....as beyond description

'Ineffable' compared with anything we can envisage from sense-impressions in this material world or descriptors lifted from things of sense (i.e. 'sight', 'sound', 'touch', 'mental abstraction'), yes; because it is the direct apprehension of the Essence of the One Immaterial Deity who is regarded by us as "Being Itself" - as the Tetragrammaton (the Divine Name revealed to Moses on Mount Sinai according to the Torah) implies: YHWH "I AM THAT I AM / I AM WHO IS":

Catechism of the Catholic Church

206 In revealing his mysterious name, YHWH ("I AM HE WHO IS", "I AM WHO AM" or "I AM WHO I AM"), God says who he is and by what name he is to be called. This divine name is mysterious just as God is mystery. It is at once a name revealed and something like the refusal of a name, and hence it better expresses God as what he is - infinitely above everything that we can understand or say: he is the "hidden God", his name is ineffable

'Heaven' is unmediated communion and absorption of the 'soul' in this 'inexpressible' Reality we generally call "God":

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Our vocation to beatitude

Beatitude makes us "partakers of the divine nature" and of eternal life.21 With beatitude, man enters into the glory of Christ22 and into the joy of the Trinitarian life.

1722 Such beatitude surpasses the understanding and powers of man. It comes from an entirely free gift of God: whence it is called supernatural, as is the grace that disposes man to enter into the divine joy.

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." It is true, because of the greatness and inexpressible glory of God, that "man shall not see me and live," for the Father cannot be grasped. But because of God's love and goodness toward us, and because he can do all things, he goes so far as to grant those who love him the privilege of seeing him. . . . For "what is impossible for men is possible for God." (St. Irenaeus (c. 120- c. 200), Adv. haeres. 4,20,5G 7/1,1034-1035).

are you not assuming …..a playground?

With all due respect, I honestly don't understand what you mean in saying this. How am I assuming a 'playground'?

Last edited:

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
God is in charge
the angels carry swords

and you will show up at the gate.....

expecting freedom?

I've been posting for years.....
the peace of heaven is guarded

and so I agree

they don't let everyone in

There's two different things there.

Night-watchman state - Wikipedia

Police state - Wikipedia

A night-watchman state is the one step above anarchy. Where everyone is free to do as they will, and there are guards against thieves and murderers (who typically attack at night).

A police state, on the other hand, is where the State (capital letters, because they've basically become an entity) has taken over, and people can be arrested for EVERYTHING. This is one step below a Big Brother watching everything, and sometimes not even that.

Yes, I'd be okay with Heaven as a night-watchman state. Not with the police state. Also, I like men and women and androgynous angels in uniform. They're pretty shexy.

89218-cat.jpg

See? Cops are sexy.

If you notice, Hell is described virtually identical to Heaven. At the gates of Hell, there will be demons with pitchforks. Angels with swords, demons with forks, guess what? Angels and demons are both the same species. So the difference is tone. In Heaven, the dead are guarded. In Hell, they are oppressed.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

I've been posting for years.....
Why do you qualify so many of your posts with this little intro? Do you know how little it matters that you have been posting something "for years?" Do you? I don't think you do, because you seem to keep on thinking that this little tidbit means something.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
people can be arrested for EVERYTHING. This is one step below a Big Brother watching everything,
as scripture has it.....

all things shall be made known

I get it
even when I was alone doing whatever I felt like doing
THAT comes forward in mind and heart

God and heaven will be able to see such things

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why do you qualify so many of your posts with this little intro? Do you know how little it matters that you have been posting something "for years?" Do you? I don't think you do, because you seem to keep on thinking that this little tidbit means something.
if it means nothing to you
post as if it doesn't

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
your signature says otherwise

That refers to more earthly-oriented regime change (i.e. overturning 'structures of sin' that imprison and shackle peoples' lives in this world and strip them of dignity, preventing them from living their life to its fullest potential with the necessities of life, such as poverty and institutionalised discrimination from a tyrannical earthly government) :D

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That refers to more earthly-oriented regime change (i.e. overturning 'structures of sin' that imprison and shackle peoples' lives in this world and strip them of dignity, preventing them from living their life to its fullest potential, such as poverty) :D
I cannot agree....

your signature speaks that moment right after the last breath

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so.....are we free to every extent?....
in heaven

no law?
no restrictions?
your heart's desire?

and all things denied to you here in this life
would be yours in abundance?

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot agree....

your signature speaks that moment right after the last breath

An interesting interpretation, what makes you think so?

In the original context of the Greek, the Virgin Mary - in this Lukan passage cited in my signature - is singing an antiphon of praise to the God of Israel in which she highlights his 'subversive' (as she understands it) championing of the lowly, dispossesed and powerless against the caprice of those wielding temporal power (such as tyrant kings and the rich). She pictures a divinely ordained role reversal / social revolution in which those at the bottom rise up to displace those at the top of the hierarchy of power and privilege.

This vision, of course, was very important to Jesus's thinking as well - as modern New Testament scholarship informs us:

"...Jesus' message was controversial and threatening to the established institutions of religious and political power in his society: the message carried with it a fundamental transvaluation of values, an exalting of the humble and a critique of the mighty. The theme of reversal seems to have been pervasive in his thought […] This reversal motif is built into the deep structure of Jesus' message, present in all layers of the tradition […] a foundational element of Jesus' teaching."

- Professor Richard Hays (Moral Vision of the New Testament, p. 164)

But it's a "this-world" focused social dimension to the gospel. It bears no obvious allusions to anything 'after the last breath' or spiritualized that I'm aware of.

A good way of conceptualizing her message:

XCvy1s0FfEBPVIFfWS7kOlcEXheVQak9jTbvFyTUb9BuFnP9nU9wrViI-ri55wAKNBIG6iumuN-a1l4WjR7mfhLZKRdbWG3zGTuAvNvpZEb5Hw0BqhGNVtlesHqyapSd6NOaI6cDn5dloX4qzZaAEnan2fzZiAHeMVCaABqK5WrEn4y6wJRD1hPsDVvkDyQtF6lANjBw45FsH8FUAGSqAA0DOrjRm7sK6387

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
God is in charge
the angels carry swords

and you will show up at the gate.....

expecting freedom?
Let's talk about Jesus Christ!

But anyway, that kind of police state would be good. Heaven is for trying to be like God and we can still improve. The effort to control things is wonderful, and if there is a government it might contain police.