• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heathenry?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I have a friend who is a heathen (not the same thing as pagan). I haven't seen any threads in this forum about heathenry. )apparently, it's the religion that has as its gods the Norse [and possibly Celtic] pantheons, such as Thor, Balder, Loki, etc.) Does anyone know anything about this religion? i'd be interested to know.

M

Majikthise

sojourner said:
I have a friend who is a heathen (not the same thing as pagan). I haven't seen any threads in this forum about heathenry. )apparently, it's the religion that has as its gods the Norse [and possibly Celtic] pantheons, such as Thor, Balder, Loki, etc.) Does anyone know anything about this religion? i'd be interested to know.
Ask Darkdale, he can tell you all about it.:)

If you notice in the European Religions area here, I just asked if they could start an area for the Norse religion....which is Heathen. I have followed the Norse Way for well over a decade now, and am a Priest of Thor. I am also a Skald, and tell stories of Norse Mythology at some local libraries and schools. Feel free to ask away!

Here are some good websites on the Norse path....

www.friggaswebb.org

www.thetroth.org

www.irmnisul.org

www.northvegr.org

There are many names for the Heathen path.....Asatru, Odinism, The North Way, Heathenry......just to name a few. It is a path that was re-jump-started back in the 1970's here in the USA, over in England, and in Iceland....by three seperate groups.....at least according to Edred Thorrson. He is one of the leading authors, as well as Diania Paxon(SP)......she also writes some GREAT fantasy novels based on both Norse and Celtic mythology. The Celts were the ones in Central Europe, while the Norse were their neighbors to the North and East....Germany and the former Soviet Union were settled by them, as well as Iceland and Greenland.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Thorin the Skald said:
If you notice in the European Religions area here, I just asked if they could start an area for the Norse religion....which is Heathen. I have followed the Norse Way for well over a decade now, and am a Priest of Thor. I am also a Skald, and tell stories of Norse Mythology at some local libraries and schools. Feel free to ask away!

Here are some good websites on the Norse path....

www.friggaswebb.org

www.thetroth.org

www.irmnisul.org

www.northvegr.org

There are many names for the Heathen path.....Asatru, Odinism, The North Way, Heathenry......just to name a few. It is a path that was re-jump-started back in the 1970's here in the USA, over in England, and in Iceland....by three seperate groups.....at least according to Edred Thorrson. He is one of the leading authors, as well as Diania Paxon(SP)......she also writes some GREAT fantasy novels based on both Norse and Celtic mythology. The Celts were the ones in Central Europe, while the Norse were their neighbors to the North and East....Germany and the former Soviet Union were settled by them, as well as Iceland and Greenland.
This friend of mine worshiped Thor. In fact, he had a huge Thor's hammer tattoo on his forearm. I don't really want to know anything about it...he pretty much filled me in on the basics of heathenry. I read a pamphlet that I think Thorrson wrote on heathenry. I really was just interested to know if heathens were active on this site, since I hadn't seen anything mentioned.

Volhv

No, "Paganism" and "Heathenry" have the same meaning nowadays, they are synonymous. The only thing which differentiates them is their etymology.

"Pagan", "heathen", "gentile", "infidel" - all of these words were used as insults, mostly by the Christian Church against non-Christians. Nowadays, however, they are used as a general term for indigenous pre-Chritian religious traditions. I also should mention, that "Pagan" is more associated nowadays with the modern New-Age movement, then "Heathen" (which is most probably the reason why this friend of yours prefers to refer to him/herself as "Heathen", rather then "Pagan").

The etymology of "pagan":
"late 14c., from L.L. paganus "pagan," in classical L. "villager, rustic, civilian," from pagus "rural district," originally "district limited by markers," thus related to pangere "to fix, fasten," from PIE base *pag- "to fix". Religious sense is often said to derive from conservative rural adherence to the old Traditions after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word in this sense predates that period in Church history, and it is more likely derived from the use of paganus in Roman military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which Christians (Tertullian, c.202; Augustine) picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (e.g. milites "soldier of Christ," etc.)."
The etymology of "heathen": "Heathen" was used as a translation of the Hebrew word "goy", which means either "nation" or "non-Jew". But of course that they were not satisfied with such a translation as "non-Jew", because it obviously has an offensive shade to all other nations and ethnicity groups. Instead, they used the word "heathen".
"Old English hæðen "not Christian or Jewish," merged with Old Norse heiðinn. Historically assumed to be from Gothic haiþno "gentile, heathen woman," used by Ulfilas in the first translation of the Bible into a Gmc. language (cf. Mark 7:26, for "Greek"); if so it could be a derivative of Goth. haiþi "dwelling on the heath", but this sense is not recorded."
The etymology of "gentile":
"Gentile derives from Latin 'gens' (from which, together with forms of the cognate Greek word 'genos', also derive 'gene', general, 'genus' and 'genesis'). The original meaning of 'clan' or 'family' was extended in post-Augustan Latin to acquire the wider meaning of belonging to a distinct nation or ethnicity. Later still the word came to mean 'foreign', i.e. non-Roman. After the Christianization of the empire it could also be used of pagan or barbarian cultures."
The etymology of "infidel":
"Infidel was first used in Middle Enlgish circa 1460 (adjective, noun), from the Middle French infidèle, and from Latin infidelis "unfaithful". Later meanings in the 15th century include "unbelieving", "a non-Christian" (especially a Saracen), and "one who does not believe in religion" (1527)."

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
As would I.

Interestingly enough the word heathen used to mean simply:
one who dwells on a heath{def 2}:
"WordNet (r) 2.0"
heath
n 1: a low evergreen shrub of the family Ericaceae; has small
bell-shaped pink or purple flowers
2: a tract of level wasteland; uncultivated land with sandy
soil and scrubby vegetation [syn: heathland]

Look the word up now and you get:
An unconverted member of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the god of the Bible.
Heathens - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Last edited by a moderator:

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
If you go under the European Religions DIR, there are sub forums for Asatru and Heathenry. You can look there, unless someone has explained it to you, or if you want someone to personally explain it to you :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was only familiar with the informal definition of 'heathen", which fit me.
This other more specific one is intriguing. I'm glad I don't have your breadth
of knowledge, sojo....I'm running out of brain room as it is.

EyeofOdin

I'm a practicing Germanic Polytheist and I'll tell you some main characteristics among Indigenous Heathens(using this term to refer to anyone practicing a polytheistic faith related to the people of the Northern European Germanic tribes, such as Asatru, Heathenry, Teutonic Animism, Vanatru etc.).

1) We are ancestral. The majority of us revere the ancestors very highly, and in some cases regard them as minor deities. In other cases they play a role similarly to how the Christian saints and angels play a role in the cosmos, as they are the go between among the living and the divine.

2) We honor nature. There are two, sometimes three (if you include The Giants) tribes of gods, one of them being the Vanir, which are gods of nature, fertility and procreation. Some most notable deities are Frey, Freya, Njord and Nerthus. In my personal opinion (some would disagree) they can be compared to as being similar to various gods in the Hellenic pantheon, such as Dionysus, Poseidon, Pan, Apollo and Artemis. There are also various nature and land spirits called Alfar, or in English, elves or elven.

3) We strive to be honorable and strong. The second tribe of gods are the Aesir. These are gods of courage, strength, war, honor, intelligence, and pretty much all things that a human should strive to be. This is where the most famous gods, such as Thor, Odin, Frigga and Tyr, are from. Again in my opinion they can be compared to the Greek Olympians or some Kemetic gods, including Isis, Osiris and Horus.

There are however a few differences and some conflicts within the heathen community, that divides us into a few different communities.

1) Not all of us regard The Giants (or Jotunnar) as gods. Most definitely revere giantesses such as Jord as deities, but some like Ymir, or Hel and Loki (which are in the tribe of Aesir by adoption) are actually viewed negatively by most heathens, because Loki is most known as being a trickster god and Hel is a goddess of death, which can frighten some people. Personally I view them as gods of primordial, and possibly chaotic forces in The Universe, but a necessary part of life and the natural world. Most Giants are widely regarded, at least by anthropologists and archaeologists as being cognate with the Greek Titans.

2) There is an ongoing debate regarding "folkish spirituality" and "universalist". The core Asatru community, especially the Asatru Folk Assembly, believe that just as Native American spiritualities reserve the right to not permit people to practice in their circles who aren't Native American or how Shinto Circles also reserve that right regarding people of non-Japanese ethnicity, Northern Europeans should have that right too. The problem is that whenever white people exclude brown people, no matter what they say, it reminds society of years and years of slavery, genocide and segregation.

The belief behind this is about identity and harkening back to one's roots. You don't choose a religion based on "it makes me feel good", which isn't based on hundreds of years of ancestry, culture, religion and people living, fighting and dying. You don't choose a faith, you HAVE an identity.

Then there are the Universalists who believe that anyone of any race can worship any god from any culture. These groups are groups such as The Troth. You'll find Northern European, West African, and a mix of different ethnicities in these circles.

Personally I find myself somewhere in between. On one hand I do believe that everyone has an indigenous identity and heritage, and you should honor that. On the other hand I do also believe that all ancient indigenous cultures were believing and practicing similar practices, and the only differences were slightly varying lore, different language and cultural practices.

So that's Heathenry summed up in a few paragraphs.