• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health is contageous and moves from a healthy body to an ill one

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Good God I found another Quote. Abdu'l-Baha believes that cancer is contagious, he also contradicts the aforementioned quote and states you can't become healthy from other healthy people. So much for his superhuman knowledge:

"… Thou hadst asked some questions; that why the blessed and spiritual souls, who are firm and steadfast, shun the company of degenerate persons. This is because, that just as the bodily diseases like consumption and cancer are contagious, likewise the spiritual diseases are also infectious. If a consumptive should associate with a thousand safe and healthy persons, the safety and health of these thousand persons would not affect the consumptive and would not cure him of his consumption. But when this consumptive associates with those thousand souls, in a short time the disease of consumption will infect a number of those healthy persons. This is a clear and self-evident question." (‘Abdu’l-Bahá: Tablet to an individual believer, October 1921: Star of the West, Vol. XII, No. 14, p. 233)​

There is a well established link between tuberculosis (consumption) and lung cancer.

Briefly, it is assumed that TB is one of the risk factors for cancer. Numerous studies have been conducted in this regard throughout the world and it has been observed that there is a significant relationship between previous TB infection and lung cancer.

The Relationship between Tuberculosis and Lung Cancer

spirit_of_dawn

There is a well established link between tuberculosis (consumption) and lung cancer.

Briefly, it is assumed that TB is one of the risk factors for cancer. Numerous studies have been conducted in this regard throughout the world and it has been observed that there is a significant relationship between previous TB infection and lung cancer.

The Relationship between Tuberculosis and Lung Cancer

There is also a relationship between smoking and lung cancer. If you want to speak about these you can start another thread.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
We can only follow what we know now but that doesn’t mean future research will not change our current understanding.

Shad

Veteran Member
How should we judge a religious leader that on one hand states that if religion is not in conformance with science it is superstition:

"Religion must be in harmony with science and reason. If it does not conform to science and reconcile with reason, it is superstition."

and on the other hand tells us that health is contagious and a healthy person can contagiously heal an ill person but it occurs at a slower pace than causing illness:

"... in reality both health and sickness are contagious. The contagiousness of disease is rapid and violent, whereas that of health is exceedingly slow and weak. If two bodies are brought into contact with each other, it is certain that microbial particles will be transmitted from one to the other. In the same way that disease is rapidly and violently transmitted from one body to another, the strong health of a healthy person may also alleviate a very slight condition in a sick person. Our meaning is that the contagiousness of disease is rapid and violent, while that of health is very slow and of limited effect, and it is only in minor ills that this modest effect can be felt. In such cases, the strength of the healthy body overcomes the slight weakness of the sick body and brings about its health. This is one kind of healing."
?

A fraud. Which he is due to the linked blunder.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
How should we judge a religious leader that on one hand states that if religion is not in conformance with science it is superstition:

"Religion must be in harmony with science and reason. If it does not conform to science and reconcile with reason, it is superstition."

and on the other hand tells us that health is contagious and a healthy person can contagiously heal an ill person but it occurs at a slower pace than causing illness:

"... in reality both health and sickness are contagious. The contagiousness of disease is rapid and violent, whereas that of health is exceedingly slow and weak. If two bodies are brought into contact with each other, it is certain that microbial particles will be transmitted from one to the other. In the same way that disease is rapidly and violently transmitted from one body to another, the strong health of a healthy person may also alleviate a very slight condition in a sick person. Our meaning is that the contagiousness of disease is rapid and violent, while that of health is very slow and of limited effect, and it is only in minor ills that this modest effect can be felt. In such cases, the strength of the healthy body overcomes the slight weakness of the sick body and brings about its health. This is one kind of healing."
?

Things and science change and often things that were previously thought to be true have been discarded such as the earth was flat and so on. Can we say with any certainty that science won’t at a later date find the words of Abdul-Baha to be true?

I believe to keep an open mind on matters such as this would be the best way to go because what if it turns out to be true?

Those who in the beginning were hasty to prejudge the Bahai Faith have found that over time this Faith has grown into a world community capable of uniting east and west, white and black and bringing together in unity people from all religions and none.

As you seem to be so critical of this Faith what would you replace it with that is positive and doesn’t include any of its laws, teachings and institutions but can unite humanity?

Shad

Veteran Member
Things and science change and often things that were previously thought to be true have been discarded such as the earth was flat and so on. Can we say with any certainty that science won’t at a later date find the words of Abdul-Baha to be true?

Ad hoc rescue.

I believe to keep an open mind on matters such as this would be the best way to go because what if it turns out to be true?

It wouldn't matter as the claim was not backed by the person making it themselves.More so it's a 50/50 chance and contained to a specific type. Ergo random luck.

There is a level of reality beyond the Quantum. Some time in the future if this is discovered remember I said it. I must be a prophet.....

Those who in the beginning were hasty to prejudge the Bahai Faith have found that over time this Faith has grown into a world community capable of uniting east and west, white and black and bringing together in unity people from all religions and none.

Let me know when your 8 million members with no government nor power unite the world....

As you seem to be so critical of this Faith what would you replace it with that is positive and doesn’t include any of its laws, teachings and institutions but can unite humanity?

Heretical Xenos!

spirit_of_dawn

We can only follow what we know now but that doesn’t mean future research will not change our current understanding.

Added Rule 18: All unscientific statements of the leaders will be proven to be in conformity with science in the future.

Added Rule 19: Respectfully asks an irrelevant but seemingly relevant question to divert the discussion to something less problematic.

Baha'i Debating Practices:

1- That quote doesn't exist.
2- If it exists, it's not part of Baha'i writings.
3- If it's part of Baha'i writings it doesn't have an official translation.
4- If it has an official translation, you deliberately cited a thorny quote while ignoring the others.
5- If you weren't citing a thorny quote, you were twisting the statement to build a narrative of falsehood.
6- If you were not building a narrative of falsehood, you were taking it out of context.
7- If it hasn't been taken out of context, it's a statement that refers to the beliefs Islam or Christianity.
8- If it doesn't refer to the beliefs of Islam or Christianity it's a metaphor, allegory, or symbolic.
9- If it's not a metaphor, allegory, or symbolic you have an axe to grind.
10- If you don't have an axe to grind you are a Muslim from Iran and cannot be trusted.
11- If you are not a Muslim from Iran you still refuse to see the light.
12- If you are seeing the light then your beliefs are no better than ours (or whataboutism).
13- If everything else fails, an excuse will be found to somehow divert the discussion to Islam and Iran or blame them for everything.
14- It's all right to say bad things about the Muslim clergy because they refused to believe in Baha'u'llah and stood up against him.
15- Every barbaric act performed by the followers of the Bab was due to Islamic teachings.
16- Don't tell me what Baha'i is. After being a Baha'i for so and so years I would know better.
17- Baha’u’llah can bend his own laws and break them as he pleases because he was sent by God.
18- All unscientific statements of the leaders will be proven to be in conformity with science in the future.
19- Respectfully asks an irrelevant but seemingly relevant question to divert the discussion to something less problematic.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Added Rule 18: All unscientific statements of the leaders will be proven to be in conformity with science in the future.

Added Rule 19: Respectfully asks an irrelevant but seemingly relevant question to divert the discussion to something less problematic.

Baha'i Debating Practices:

1- That quote doesn't exist.
2- If it exists, it's not part of Baha'i writings.
3- If it's part of Baha'i writings it doesn't have an official translation.
4- If it has an official translation, you deliberately cited a thorny quote while ignoring the others.
5- If you weren't citing a thorny quote, you were twisting the statement to build a narrative of falsehood.
6- If you were not building a narrative of falsehood, you were taking it out of context.
7- If it hasn't been taken out of context, it's a statement that refers to the beliefs Islam or Christianity.
8- If it doesn't refer to the beliefs of Islam or Christianity it's a metaphor, allegory, or symbolic.
9- If it's not a metaphor, allegory, or symbolic you have an axe to grind.
10- If you don't have an axe to grind you are a Muslim from Iran and cannot be trusted.
11- If you are not a Muslim from Iran you still refuse to see the light.
12- If you are seeing the light then your beliefs are no better than ours (or whataboutism).
13- If everything else fails, an excuse will be found to somehow divert the discussion to Islam and Iran or blame them for everything.
14- It's all right to say bad things about the Muslim clergy because they refused to believe in Baha'u'llah and stood up against him.
15- Every barbaric act performed by the followers of the Bab was due to Islamic teachings.
16- Don't tell me what Baha'i is. After being a Baha'i for so and so years I would know better.
17- Baha’u’llah can bend his own laws and break them as he pleases because he was sent by God.
18- All unscientific statements of the leaders will be proven to be in conformity with science in the future.
19- Respectfully asks an irrelevant but seemingly relevant question to divert the discussion to something less problematic.

Add rule no.20. You are an equal fellow human being and I respect your right to have your own views. But I’m not in any way more knowledgeable or better than you or anyone else. You might be a much better person than me and probably are.

Rule 21: I’m always happy to try and understand and learn from your points of view. We Baha’is are imperfect so you are right to bring our faults to our attention.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Ad hoc rescue.

It wouldn't matter as the claim was not backed by the person making it themselves.More so it's a 50/50 chance and contained to a specific type. Ergo random luck.

There is a level of reality beyond the Quantum. Some time in the future if this is discovered remember I said it. I must be a prophet.....

Let me know when your 8 million members with no government nor power unite the world....

Heretical Xenos!

I believe there is a higher intelligence in the universe a God that exists and is all good and does bestow His knowledge upon Messengers to help guide and assist us. But we also have the right to ignore Them and choose our own path and we do.

Shad

Veteran Member
I believe there is a higher intelligence in the universe a God that exists and is all good and does bestow His knowledge upon Messengers to help guide and assist us. But we also have the right to ignore Them and choose our own path and we do.

This does not address anything I said.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
This does not address anything I said.

Your dispute is with what God and His Messengers have stated regarding health matters and all I am stating is that we believe whatever knowledge comes from God is always correct even though science may not have discovered it yet.

But I accept that you don’t see it like this.

Shad

Veteran Member
Your dispute is with what God and His Messengers have stated regarding health matters and all I am stating is that we believe whatever knowledge comes from God is always correct even though science may not have discovered it yet.

You replied with your dogma, nothing more.

But I accept that you don’t see it like this.

You are conflating a dislike with rejection of your dogma while dodging my points.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
No you didn't as you never addressed a single point. You just babbled dogma of faith. You believe X as it is a requirement of your religion. Nothing more.

You gave some replies but which points are you referring to? You said things like ‘random luck’ and ‘ad hoc rescue’ but these are hardly points requiring to be addressed. Can you please clarify which point you want addressed as I saw only remarks and comments.