• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care Bill covers Faith Healing?

linwood

What`s up with this?

Backed by some of the most powerful members of the Senate, a little-noticed provision in the healthcare overhaul bill would require insurers to consider covering Christian Science prayer treatments as medical expenses.

The provision was inserted by Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) with the support of Democratic Sens. John F. Kerry and the late Edward M. Kennedy, both of Massachusetts, home to the headquarters of the Church of Christ, Scientist.

The measure would put Christian Science prayer treatments -- which substitute for or supplement medical treatments -- on the same footing as clinical medicine. While not mentioning the church by name, it would prohibit discrimination against "religious and spiritual healthcare."

Healthcare provision seeks to embrace prayer treatments -- latimes.com

Edit:

Got to read the whole article.

Down at the bottom it states..

Two committees in the House voted to include the measure in their versions of the overhaul, but Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) stripped it from the consolidated House bill last week after a few members argued it was unconstitutional.

Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the UC Irvine School of Law, said the provision raised serious questions about government support of religion.

"I think when Congress mandates that health companies provide coverage for prayer, it has the effect of the government advancing religion," he said.

So why is this even news ?

Maybe this post is a better OP for debating the intentions of our media outlets.

Last edited:

gnomon

The only thing newsworthy about it is hopefully the constituents of Hatch and Kerry will slam them for it.

But that's not going to happen. Especially for Hatch.

Lot's of crazy ideas never make it out of committee. The only reason to report on them is to show how certain legislators think.

But you are right. Media outlets like to take these and run with them. Gets viewership, sells magazines and reaps ad profits.

linwood

The only thing newsworthy about it is hopefully the constituents of Hatch and Kerry will slam them for it.

But that's not going to happen. Especially for Hatch.

Lot's of crazy ideas never make it out of committee. The only reason to report on them is to show how certain legislators think.

But you are right. Media outlets like to take these and run with them. Gets viewership, sells magazines and reaps ad profits.

Come to think of it you`re right.

I`m glad to have found this bit of info if only because it gives me some insight into how these congressmen think.

What bugs me is that the article seems designed to mislead the way it`s written.

90% of the text is implying that this is in the bill now.
The very last two statements set themselves straight quickly and abruptly.
Almost like an irrelevant afterthought.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well I'm not a big Nancy Pelosi fan, but righton Madame Speaker.
It's all about the power of the Christian Scientists.