• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'He did nothing wrong': Family of Texas entrepreneur fatally shot by police say he was defending his

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Very unlikely that we have the whole story.
That's the trouble with video clips, people think they know what's going on when they don't.
I'm not making any judgments at this time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, it only provides a minimum amount of information.
We see the cop fail to identify himself,
provide no opportunity to put the rifle down,
& then pump several rounds into the guy.
No de-escalation.
The cop isn't fresh out of his 3 month training
program...he's been on the force for 3 years,
& is presumably trained & trusted with this
SWAT type function. Yet his behavior was
completely out of line, despite what his pals
in blue claim (fellow corrupt cops).
If that isn't murder, what is.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I looked at the footage, and it appears that the officer said "drop the gun" and then immediately fired. It didn't appear he was allowing enough time for the person to drop the gun. I didn't hear him identify himself as a police officer either.
It also didn’t show what the victim did. Maybe as the officer gave the command, the deceased raised the rifle towards the officer. The video is inconclusive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unless it's their property, which gives them a green light to go after us with malicious intent.
If that becomes their attitude, then it will be
up to civilian jurors in civil court to send a
very spendy message of disapproval.
The only real change we're seeing is due
to individual civilian actions, eg, recording
interactions, filing civil suits.
Government won't change anything on its own.

Watchmen

Premium Member
We see the cop fail to identify himself,
provide no opportunity to put the rifle down,
& then pump several rounds into the guy.
No de-escalation. The cop has been on
the force for 3 years, is presumably trained,
& was trusted with this SWAT type function.
Yet his behavior was completely out of line.
If that isn't murder, what is.
And you don’t see the other guy in the video so hard to say if the cop was justified or not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If that becomes their attitude, then it will be
up to civilian jurors in civil court to send a
very spendy message of disapproval.
The only real change we're seeing is due
to individual civilian actions, eg, recording
interactions, filing civil suits.
Government won't change anything on its own.
That's my thoughts. Except most cases wont see a juror or charges because the pigs will continue to decide their fellow pigs did nothing wrong.
Civilian cameras seem to be the only real thing that has offered anything resembling a shield from the pigs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And you don’t see the other guy in the video so hard to say if the cop was justified or not.
If he thought it useful to order the victim to put
down the rifle, then there should've been an
opportunity to do so. There wasn't.
This points to the order being merely perfunctory.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's my thoughts. Except most cases wont see a juror or charges because the pigs will continue to decide their fellow pigs did nothing wrong.
Criminal charges are harder to file, because
that's one government entity prosecuting
another. Much corruption there.
But civil court is another matter. And Qualified
Immunity is being regularly pierced these days.
Civilian cameras seem to be the only real thing that has offered anything resembling a shield from the pigs.
Cops will often mute their cams, turn them off,
delete recordings, & charge exorbitant fees for
access to them. So it's best if civilians do their
own recording. Many are now live streaming
because cops have taken phones, & deleted
videos. They're like organized crime, eh.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, the police knew that it was a live shooter incident. In the ring video in the linked article you can see the police pull up right as the man fires his shot. Worse yet the earlier video released by the ABC affiliate appears to have been edited. After he fired that first shot, which occurred right as the police pull up you can hear him shoot a second one but he is off camera. Six seconds later he is shot by the police:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/apd-releases-video-from-fatal-south-austin-police-shooting/

Watchmen

Premium Member
If he thought it useful to order the victim to put
down the rifle, then there should've been an
opportunity to do so. There wasn't.
This points to the order being merely perfunctory.
While the cop gave the order, the victim simultaneously raised his rifle toward the cop in a threatening matter.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes, the police knew that it was a live shooter incident. In the ring video in the linked article you can see the police pull up right as the man fires his shot. Worse yet the earlier video released by the ABC affiliate appears to have been edited. After he fired that first shot, which occurred right as the police pull up you can hear him shoot a second one but he is off camera. Six seconds later he is shot by the police:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/apd-releases-video-from-fatal-south-austin-police-shooting/
I appreciate the honest reporting. Will you start a news network?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I appreciate the honest reporting. Will you start a news network?
All it takes is a bit of patience. Flying off the handle at the first reports is never a good idea. The police heard the shots when they pulled up. You can hear at least one of them in the audio from one of the cops body cams.

Police treat active shooter events quite differently than they do cases where the only reports are of a person with a weapon. Was there even a burglar in the house? I have my doubts. We will find out more as time goes on.

Watchmen

Premium Member
How is this known?
But that makes the issue of not identifying
themselves as cops more important.
It’s not known. That’s the point. The video doesn’t show everything but you’re making a judgment anyway based on personal experience and bias. Subduction Zone has, so far, provided the most fact-based account of the incident.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It’s not known. That’s the point. The video doesn’t show everything but you’re making a judgment anyway based on personal experience and bias. Subduction Zone has, so far, provided the most fact-based account of the incident.
I judge based upon what I've seen.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I judge based upon what I've seen.
Which is the wrong thing to do at times. At the start you totally ignored the possibility of police reacting to an active shooter event. Then when it was shown that the homeowner shot into his own house, for what now appears to be no reason, you still appeared to discount that possibility. Finally the latest videos that I posted demonstrated that the cops definitely heard the second shot fired (that we know of) by the home owner. Being anti-cop can make someone too ready to blame the cops. I remember when the Kyle Rittenhouse event was being discussed here. I was one of the few that called it right. I did not rush to judgement in that case either.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which is the wrong thing to do at times.
A discussion by internet denizens is
the right time to form opinions without
a full court hearing.
At the start you totally ignored the possibility of police reacting to an active shooter event.
Based upon the news report I saw,
which had cops alerted merely to
an armed man. No shots fired.
Then when it was shown that the homeowner shot into his own house, for what now appears to be no reason, you still appeared to discount that possibility.
It appeared that the cops didn't know that.
Speaking of ignoring things....
You've ignored the cop giving no time to
drop the rifle. Just opening fire.
Finally the latest videos that I posted demonstrated that the cops definitely heard the second shot fired (that we know of) by the home owner.
I didn't see the cops hearing a shot...until their own.
Being anti-cop can make someone too ready to blame the cops.
Perhaps you're too "support the blue"?
Kill first, investigate later, eh.

Last edited: