• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you read the entire Bible?

Have you read the entire Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

Nehustan

I have read the books over the years including the apocrypha and Barnabus, and obviously done the 'let the book fall open ploy' far more often, then reading on from where it 'happened' to open, but I voted no as I have not read it from cover to cover if we mean the whole. I recently bought a beautiful calf leather bound KJV from the book shop at Church House (near Westminster Abbey, which is just around the corner...literally), once more owning a copy of the bible. The last time I read through the bible was when a visiting JW family popped into our home to discuss the word, whereupon we all sat around discussing God's kingdom, ended unfortunately as my wife was very upset, telling me 'why don't you just go back and worship with them then', she obviously felt that just by talking to Christians about the bible meant I had become murtad, which I thought was a bit harsh. She also looked a little annoyed when I bought a copy of the bible. I now have the intention of reading through it, and having read about the comment on approaching it as a book report/paper, I think I might approach it from this perspective, sounds very good advice. My last bible I left in a Mosque as a gift, and although at our church while at school used the KJV, in theology lessons we sometimes used 'the good news' bible....:eek:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have never read it cover to cover.
I have read the new testament that way, but it is actually not as useful as reading by subject matter.
I may have read all the old testament, but I could not be sure. I do not give it the same importance.
But I have read back into it to follow up references in the New Testament.
I do not understand why some Christians, like Creationists, give it more importance than their new Testament.
It's rather like reading the manual of a steam car you sold years ago,Interesting but not apposite.

Terry_________________________-
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
michel said:
No. when I got to the ...begat...who begat...I lost the plot.:D

I actually loved the genealogies! (we heathens have that kind of stuff in our mythology, and like Bible, most of these people most likely existed). I think stuff like that is cool. I've read the New Testiment four or five times and the old testiment twice. It's a good read and an interesting scripture. I prefer Hindu and Heathen scripture, but still, worth the read.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i've read much of my tanach. But right now i've been investigating the Gospel's and Paul's writing more closely. I had read it before many moons ago but now that i feel like i have a better understanding of my own relationship w/ G-d i am approaching it w/ a new light.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have read it several times, and have forgotten more that what alot of people will ever know. I was the only person in my government class, which was full of Christians, that could recite the Lord's Prayer, which really p.o.ed my teacher. I still remember the look he gave the students he expected to know that.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
michel said:
No. when I got to the ...begat...who begat...I lost the plot.:D
Yep, 3 times plus some bible study (mostly NIV and King James).

By the way, I know what you mean Michel, Numbers (and a few others) is a difficult book to get through. This person begat this person who begat 7 people, one of which begat this person, etc. Although I fought through it.