• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you "known" people before?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FFH made a kind comment about me and my wife (and he has never met either of us).

Yet, I truly believe that we have known each other before; I can see people and realise that I "know" them, even if we have only just met. It would be "impossible" for my wife and I not to be together, I knew that the second I met her.

I had this feeling when introduced to my Younger son's girlfriend; the best way to describe it is that she was a piece of the jig-saw puzzle. Of course, they may go their separate ways, but that would be a divergence step in his fate .

Does this facet of lives mean anything to anyone else here ? Have you experienced this?

BFD_Zayl

well, yes, every once and awhile i'll meet someone who i have never met in person... yet we get along great, and I feel like I have known them all my life, even after a few minutes. its odd, ithink its called "clicking" heh heh... not too sure if this is what you meant or not though.

FatMan

I've often thought I've known someone before, and after minutes, hours or sometimes days, I make the connection of how I think I "know" them, and inevitably, it comes from a likeness in eyes, facial expressions, or voice inflections of another person I know.

It has always been in the visual sense.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I feel as though I knew my husband from previous births and my best girlfriend who I think was my sister in a previous birth.

Anyway, as you know I call you my RF daddy, I don't know if I knew you from a previous birth but I feel a strong spiritual connection you. :)

There was one time years ago when I went to Barbados with my parents and late in the evening we went for a sea bath. There were two other ladies in the sea and one of them was holding a baby girl. The baby had emerald green eyes and she held my gaze. I couldn't stop staring at her and she kept staring at me. I felt such an overwhelming love for this baby who I saw for only a couple minutes and I almost felt like crying. There was something behind her eyes, besides that lovely colour. I heard that we can see wisdom in children's eyes and we can tell if they are old souls. To me, I saw wisdom in that baby's eyes and I felt such a strong connection with her. Afterwards I wondered if I knew her from a different birth. The woman who was holding her said that she's an angel. I thought to myself, "Yes, she is."

ayani

Hema- that is a beautiful story! :flower2:

yes, i have felt this way, too. it is like recognizing someone very suddenly, and feeling very blessed to have made that contact. i'm trying to open myself less self-consciously to others, and i find this happens more and more.

for me FatMan, it's not so much visual, but is kind of like an 'aura', something i notice around the person before i really register their features clearly. loving the other and one's self to the degree of being brave enough to approach and talk to them is awesome.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I've had that happen with one person. We only knew each other for two days, but in that time I felt close enough for us to be siblings.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The only person whom I've had a definite feeling of knowing before was my husband Rick when I first met him. I had an electrical shock come from out of nowhere and course through my body from head to toe that left me stunned. I immediately liked him...without even having talked to him for more than for 3 minutes. I had a strong feeling of "knowing" him before. It was strange.

Random

Does anyone ever truly know another? We can only know how to relate to another @ best, that is all. The depth and complexity of each human soul is beyond our finite lifespans to realize in full. But this is good! For in the absence of knowing certainties, love can reign. Not otherwise...

Nanda

Polyanna
My best friend. Within five minutes of meeting him, I knew. It was like finding a missing peice - I couldn't believe that such a person could exist, especially considering that I'd thought my life was full already.

Aqualung

Tasty
I think it would be weird if, for all the thousands, perhaps millions of people I've ever come into contact with in my entire life (both physically and through television and other media), not ONE of them was similar enough to somebody else that I felt like I knew them already.

Runt

I've never felt as though I knew someone the moment I saw them. I have, however, fallen into a very close and comfortable relationship with friends in the past within a matter of hours. Although at the moment I met them it did not feel as though I'd known them already, after a few hours it did indeed come to feel that way.

I'm inclined to ascribe this phenomenon to chemistry rather than destiny.

Hope

Princesinha
I know this "knowing" feeling quite well. I have had two especially vivid experiences that I will never forget.

One was while sitting in a Starbucks in Edinburgh, Scotland, a few years ago.

It was a cloudy, nippy day in February, and I remember distinctly the coziness I felt and the wonderful atmosphere----hot chocolate at my elbow, soft jazz playing, warm red and golden hues in the room, and a huge bay window across from me, providing a stunning vista of the Edinburgh Castle. I was there all afternoon, studying.

But what made the experience especially memorable was a young man who sat only a couple chairs away from me at the same table. (It was a big table, one that could seat about six or so people.) Anyway, this young man, a dark-haired, good-looking fellow, sat near me, and stayed with me at the same table the whole afternoon. Everyone else sitting at the table eventually left, just leaving the two of us alone. We never said a word to each other, but something about his presence was immensely comforting, and I felt as if we knew each other somehow. I couldn't explain it at all.

Even without words, even though we were complete strangers, I felt as if our souls were connected in some way. But maybe it was just because were fellow partakers of a magical afternoon in a Starbucks in Edinburgh. And it only became more magical when the view outside the big bay window turned into a literal "snow globe." The castle was soon nearly obscured by a driving flurry of white. However, the magic of everything couldn't prevent my sleepiness, and so I put my head down and took a brief nap....when I awoke, my "friend" had vanished. Sometimes I wonder if he was an angel.

The other experience I had was somewhat similar to Hema's story. I used to work at a salad bar, and one night while I was working, this elderly couple and two little children, who I assume were their grandchildren, came to get some salad. What struck me immediately about this couple and the children was the joy they seemed to possess. They were laughing together, and seemed so full of genuine happiness.

Then, as I'm standing there, observing them discreetly while I continue my work, the little boy, who couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old, suddenly turns to look up at me. I will never, for as long as I live, forget the way he looked at me. He smiled in the most tender way at me, and his big, beautiful, blue eyes just latched onto mine. I felt as if he were looking straight through me. I felt, all at once, with that brief stare, that he knew everything about me, that he could see into my soul, and yet was smiling up at me in love and compassion. It just left me stunned for a while. I was going through a rough patch in my life at that point, and it was like God comforted my heart through that little boy. When I looked into his eyes, I felt I encountered God.

I really and truly wonder sometimes if certain people we encounter are actually angels. And maybe that is why, at least in my case, I often feel as if I know, or am known, by complete strangers.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I really and truly wonder sometimes if certain people we encounter are actually angels. And maybe that is why, at least in my case, I often feel as if I know, or am known, by complete strangers.
Interesting stories, April.

I met this little old lady once who had to have been at least in her mid 80's. After talking to her for less than 5 minutes she said, "You know Jesus don't you?". Needless to say I was kind of shocked.

arthra

Baha'i
When I first met my wife to be... I felt as if I knew her and as we decided to marry we learned latter that our ancestry was quite similar (German Swiss) as well as the past religious denomination (United Brethren or Unitas Fratrum) was held by both families.. We were already both Baha'is.

- Art

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Interesting stories, all of them. For those of you who have felt this "connection", how do you account for it? Is it something that you have tried to "explain" to yourself, or do you just "accept" it?

I tend to be empathic; there are about four members here whom I am certain I have "met" before. It is even stranger when the feeling comes over me and I haven't met the person; just reading some posts is enough to set my "Antennae"
all of a tremble.

Hope

Princesinha
Interesting stories, all of them. For those of you who have felt this "connection", how do you account for it? Is it something that you have tried to "explain" to yourself, or do you just "accept" it?

I tend to be empathic; there are about four members here whom I am certain I have "met" before. It is even stranger when the feeling comes over me and I haven't met the person; just reading some posts is enough to set my "Antennae"
all of a tremble.

You hit on a very interesting point, michel. I too am a very empathetic person, and I wonder if that has anything to do with that connection I feel sometimes. Perhaps those of us that are empathetic have some sort of "sixth sense" that allows us to pick up underlying emotions and thoughts in people. And we immediately feel a connection to those people whose temperaments, emotions, personalities, life experiences, etc. are similar to our own. Just an idea to throw out there.:)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Because the experience upon meeting my husband to be was so strange and powerful, I definitely tried to explain it to myself for a long time. I thought about reincarnation more during that time that I ever have before. I still don't know what to make of it.

I tend to be empathic; there are about four members here whom I am certain I have "met" before.
Oh do spill the beans and tell us who!! I'm going to take a guess to see if I'm correct.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the expression "soul mate" -- which is being bandied about everywhere in the media thase days as a synonym of "really close friend/lover."

The original and proper sense of "soul mate" is one whom you've been intimately associated with for thousands of years, through multiple incarnations.
A soul mate is one whom you will merge with in the next one or two incarnations, as a merged soul in a single body.

Using a Hindu expression to mean "real good friend/lover" is a perversion.

Interesting thread!! Since I believe in a choice to become mortal. Let me explain what yall are experiencing. Many names for this such as soul mates, play mates and life mates. Most of us have had past lives. We died and returned to spirit or light or whatever you wish to call it. We only visit earth in physical form, but we do not belong in physical form. We belong in spirit. in the spirit we have close families (lifemates) just as we do here. When we do decide to become mortal our lifemates can also decide to come to help us learn or experience whatever it is we came here to do or vice versa. This explains why you feel a connection to some people the way you do.

Even if you cant grasp reincarnation the same still applies because we are created in spirit and we shall return to spirit.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
You hit on a very interesting point, michel. I too am a very empathetic person, and I wonder if that has anything to do with that connection I feel sometimes. Perhaps those of us that are empathetic have some sort of "sixth sense" that allows us to pick up underlying emotions and thoughts in people. And we immediately feel a connection to those people whose temperaments, emotions, personalities, life experiences, etc. are similar to our own. Just an idea to throw out there.:)

You may well be right.....which would perhaps invalidate the "soul mate" theory; I had never thought to look at it from that perspective.

There is one thing though (of which I am convinced); that Marie and I were destined to meet. Sure we could have passed each other by, but we didn't; the longer we are married, the more I realise that she is my soul mate we are almost like a perfect dovetail joint in carpentry............lol.
Oh do spill the beans and tell us who!! I'm going to take a guess to see if I'm correct.
I wouldn't wish to embarass those; I once "played that game" on the public forum, and felt like a right (or maybe left?) idiot. The person I mentioned then is one of those.

When I saw this thread I immediately thought of the expression "soul mate" -- which is being bandied about everywhere in the media thase days as a synonym of "really close friend/lover."

Using a Hindu expression to mean "real good friend/lover" is a perversion.

I can understand your reaction; it would be an sad devaluation of the concept; on the other hand, I can see that rapidly spreading. It is just "this age".

Interesting thread!! Since I believe in a choice to become mortal. Let me explain what yall are experiencing. Many names for this such as soul mates, play mates and life mates. Most of us have had past lives. We died and returned to spirit or light or whatever you wish to call it. We only visit earth in physical form, but we do not belong in physical form. We belong in spirit. in the spirit we have close families (lifemates) just as we do here. When we do decide to become mortal our lifemates can also decide to come to help us learn or experience whatever it is we came here to do or vice versa. This explains why you feel a connection to some people the way you do.

Even if you cant grasp reincarnation the same still applies because we are created in spirit and we shall return to spirit.

Well, as a reincarnationist (if that exists?.if not, it should do), I can appreciate that concept fully. Surprisingly, I don't feel as though I have ever "met" my sons before; but I immediately recognised james's girfriend as a potential "someone I knew".

One of the measures I use is that I a quite shy, and am not "tactile"; when I met her, it was almost a if a switch was turned on, and I could chat carefree nfrom the word go.

I think both James and Marie may be worried about the obvious way I "clicked" with her; they need have no fear - I just hope that she and james do get together and marry, because I know that it is right for them.

Now that is even stranger, because "I" am totally out of the equation (in my mind) - I am just focussed on them; I haven't asked james how he feels (most likely because he would laughingly call the men in their white coats to come and take me away).

I have even "seen" her pregnant (the image I got, she would have been about six months), looking thoroughly happy, and gazing at James with love in her eyes...........I saw that image (it just flashed into my brain) as I was chatting to her.

I know, it could be "rampant imagination", and yet there is something in me that knows it isnt........The picture was so clear - as if a slide (or photo) quickly passed through my field of vision; and it is one of those things that is so frustrating; it works when it feels like it, and as soon as I try to focus on it, I disturb whatever is happening, and "break the link".