• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been in a car crash?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To the OP. Once I was sitting in a line of stopped cars and someone smashed into the car behind me who smashed into me and my car smashed the one ahead. No one was seriously injured.

Once someone pulled far to the right and slowed down. As I was passing the apparently stopping car on the right he suddenly swung left and smash. I was not injured.

Once I was driving over to a friends house with some photos in the front seat and the windows open. The photos started blowing around. When I reached over to grab them, I hit a very sturdy tree. The car was totaled but I was not seriously injured. I was young and very foolish at the time.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Was there any injury to you or the other person?

I have but it wasn't that bad.

My mom's second husband died in a car crash just a few days after he had his daughter. It was sad.

One of the few potentially serious accidents I had with motor vehicles happened when I owned a Morris Minor van. Whilst at college, I used to regularly drive out to Derbyshire for the weekend in order to go caving. We would often drive to a pub on the Saturday evening, and it was whilst returning to our club base after an evening’s drinking that an accident occurred. I had had a few pints but not that many (such laws not as strict then), and it had been raining earlier so the roads were a bit slippery. My tyres were perhaps not exactly new either, being a student, so, rounding a fast bend, I lost the back end and, over-correcting, I found myself sliding sideways at speed towards a dry stone wall. The skid had sent me off towards the inside of the bend, and as (bad) luck would have it, there was an entrance to a field there, such that there was a dry stone wall at right angles to the road. I found myself hurtling sideways towards the wall doing about 60 mph. Seeing the inevitability of the situation, I had the presence of mind to dive for the passenger seat with my hands protecting my head, since I knew I was completely out of control - no seatbelts or air-bags then. Luckily, the subsequent demolishing of the wall cushioned the impact somewhat and I escaped with shock and some bruising. The car was smashed all along the driver’s side. My friends soon came along and I managed to drive it back to our club base. Apart from the damage to the side (requiring a new body, door, and front wing - all obtained from a scrapyard, and the body replaced at the scrapyard), it only needed the steering to be repaired and a new battery to be purchased, since that too had been damaged.

I was run down on my bike once - the car driver coming from a side-turning on to the main road without seeing me - with the bike ending under the back wheels and me in front of the front wheels before he stopped, fortunately just sustaining a few cuts and bruises. Got a better bike out of it though. :rolleyes:

I've had a few misses and been injured on my bike (the usual broken collar-bone) but not been involved with others (apart from very minor ones) or caused any injuries in a car.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
I only ask because i take the bus, bike, and train because I've come too close to causing multiple accidents.

It is good to know our limitations. I have bad depth perception, night blindness and difficulty judging speed and distance. So I avoid night driving as I can and absolutely refuse to pass another vehicle on a 2 lane highway; and I never, ever drive at night on a poorly lit 2 lane. As I get older, these issues worsen, so I know that my time of safely operating a motor vehicle is limited. I will eventually have to hang up my keys and use the bus, bike and train.

Got T-boned in a large van as a teenager running Mom's carpool. The impact was hard enough that it snapped the engine mounts and shoved the van 37' sliding sideways. We were all very fortunate that there were no serious injuries or deaths. I think what saved us was (1) The van slid and didn't roll; and (2) The impact was as near center of the van's center of gravity as was possible in such a chaotic event.

I was driving home a few years ago in a compact. I had the right away across a 1 way street that I had passed many times before. There was a car driving one way down the 1 way and I locked the brakes to avoid the accident. The anti-clock kicked in, slowing my rate of deceleration. When we came to a stop, the oncoming vehicle was about 6" away from my driver's side door. I drove home, rather sobered, and after I got into my house, I thought, "I should be dead".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am fortunate that I take a hit fairly well. At least in my younger days. Now days, I am starting to get pains and palpitations just from our discussion.

These days, I would rather expend my energy "hitting" something else, but that is something that age has an effect on too.
Old age beats the alternative.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder at the level of suffering I can take and still stick to that answer. But I agree.
That's why some friends & I formed the Shovel Club.
If anyone's life becomes not worth living, another
member will perform the coup de gras with a shovel
upside the head. (Pardon me French.)

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
That's why some friends & I formed the Shovel Club.
If anyone's life becomes not worth living, another
member will perform the coup de gras with a shovel
upside the head. (Pardon me French.)
That sort of puts a heavy burden on the shovel wielder and could make his or her life not worth living as well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At least you have a plan. I don't have a group, so I will have to consider the development of a shovel-swinging machine.
And you can have fun with it to the very end!
th