• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have a question about Druidry?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Have a question about Druidry? Go ahead, ask it! All questions welcome, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people (who are afraid their questions are stupid).

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
What drew you to your religion? I know my wife, Evenstar has some knowledge of it, and we both would like to learn more.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I'm not exactly sure what drew me to it. I was at a very confused and disillusioned point in my life, when I realized I didn't want to be a Christian anymore. I searched and searched but nothing seemed to "fit" until I found Druidry. It could be the immense personal freedom Druidry allows in forming your own philosophical opinions and ideas, especially since I was feeling very repressed at that point in my life. It could also have been the "mystique" of the religion.

I'll PM you a few good sources for further information on Druidry.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Druidus said:
I'm not exactly sure what drew me to it. I was at a very confused and disillusioned point in my life, when I realized I didn't want to be a Christian anymore. I searched and searched but nothing seemed to "fit" until I found Druidry. It could be the immense personal freedom Druidry allows in forming your own philosophical opinions and ideas, especially since I was feeling very repressed at that point in my life. It could also have been the "mystique" of the religion.

I'll PM you a few good sources for further information on Druidry.
Cool! I'd like that. We'll have our pc up and running tomorrow.

M

Majikthise

From what I understand druidry is a nature based religion, that is to say one of it's aspects is the knowledge of plants and animals and how they interact in the Earths life cycle. Does druidry adress survival techniques that would be useful if you were to ,say, be lost out in the wild?:confused:

Bishadi

What is the basis of the sect?
How does it address human associations?
God?
Creation?
The End?
Are there promises or is there something to fear? "Enquiring Minds Want to Know!"

I will do a google, but I am interested in key points that created your belief as well. Is it freedom, reasoning, or give up a snap shot to help, thanks

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Yes, as a nature based religion, there is a lot to learn about plants and other aspects of nature. But you don't need to learn it. I want to, and I am, slowly, but it's not a core part of Druidry.

Survival training can be a part of Druidry, but it is not required.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
what is the druid belief about the death and the afterlife? sorry, i don't mean to imply all druids believe the same thing, i didn't know how else to phrase the questions

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I believe that when I die, I will reincarnate in the "Otherworld". The Otherworld is a reflection of this world. The laws of the universe are highly varied when in the Otherworld, and time can pass much faster than here. When I die there, I am judged. Depending on the knowledge I have gathered, I will be reincarnated in one of three different realms. Earth is in a realm. If I have used my knowledge justly, and I have gathered much knowledge, then I will reincarnate into a higher realm, where knowledge is harder to incorporate but life is easier. If I have not learned enough, I will reincarnate into this realm, as a plant or animal (though it could be on another planet somewhere, meaning I wouldn't be a plant or an animal). If I have abused or ignored knowledge, I will go down to a lower realm, where opportunities for the incorporation of knowledge are more common but life is harder. It can take many incarnations to learn enough to pass through a realm. The most common judgement is the middle one. The point of moving up in the Realms is to one day rejoin the Source, the highest realm.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Most Druids are accepting of most any God their fellow Druids worship.

For the vast majority of Druids (I'd even say nearly all), the "Source" is considered the key "deity", though not in the sense of most religions. The Source in Druidic thought is more akin to the Tao than it is to, say, the Christian God.

But there are other Gods and Goddesses who are below the Source but above us in the Realms. They are mortals who have learned enough to reach Realms in which they can manipulate ours, if they so choose. Of course, they are not deities in the traditional sense either. They do die of age, disease, and other causes, though much less likely are they to die of disease than us. Deaths by age are infrequent because their lifespans are long.

The deities I am closest to are Cernunnos (God of the Woods, Animals, Plants, and the Hunt), Oghma (God of Wisdom and Knowledge), and Dannu (similar to the Gaia or Gaea). I'd like to get closer to Brighid and Morrighun, Brighid for her to bestow her Fire (creative frenzy) more often, and Morrighun for an intensification of the Warrior's Will.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I know very little about Druidry so please forgive my ignorance. I would however like to know more as study of other religions is a hobby of mine. Can you post links to more information?

Also, where did Druidism get its start and who is its founder if there is one?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Dru - Why Druidism over Asatru? Were your ancestors Celtic? Were they Irish? Are you just more of a mystic?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Dru - Why Druidism over Asatru? Were your ancestors Celtic? Were they Irish? Are you just more of a mystic?
My ancestors include the Irish, the Scottish, the French, the English, the German, the Scandinavian, and the Amerindian. But just because my ancestors believed in something doesn't make it true.

Druidry just seemed to "fit" more. I never actually read much into Asatru when I was researching a religion for myself either, so that may have been part of it.
Also, where did Druidism get its start and who is its founder if there is one?
Druidry was likely founded by a group of peoples over time. The people of modern day Ireland, England, Scotland, and France all contained peoples who practiced forms of Druidry.

I know very little about Druidry so please forgive my ignorance. I would however like to know more as study of other religions is a hobby of mine. Can you post links to more information?
I will, in roughly two hours.

Smoke

Done here.
I've never learned much about the Celtic gods and goddesses. I've picked up a little about Cernunnos and Brigid, but not much. Can you give a brief account of the Celtic pantheon?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Links:

http://www.druidnetwork.org/index.html
http://www.adf.org/core/
http://groups.msn.com/CromansGrove/varieties.msnw
http://www.keltria.org/
http://orgs.carleton.edu/Druids/

There will be some conflicting information due to varieties in Druidic philosophy.
I've never learned much about the Celtic gods and goddesses. I've picked up a little about Cernunnos and Brigid, but not much. Can you give a brief account of the Celtic pantheon?
Some good resources, although not all encompassing:

http://www.paralumun.com/celticgod.htm
http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/celtic-mythology.phphttp://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/celtic-mythology.php?deity=AYWELL

Nehustan

What is the historical basis for the grades i.e. Bards, Ovates, and Druids? Does the colouration of the robes have any significance? What was the political hierarchy/hegemony that the druids figured within and what was their role, specifically in regard to the three mentioned 'grades'? Do you think it is fair to consider Druids prototypical scientists rather than just priests?

Nehustan

Druidus said:
I'd like to get closer to Brighid and Morrighun, Brighid for her to bestow her Fire (creative frenzy) more often, and Morrighun for an intensification of the Warrior's Will.
Aha...my regional Celtic tribe is 'Brigant' and I often describe my ethnicity as that on forms ;)

Last year I popped into a church called St.Brides (near the Temple in London) on St.Brides day which is of course Imbolc, the 1st of February. Don't you just love Christian Syncretism.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Druidus said:
My ancestors include the Irish, the Scottish, the French, the English, the German, the Scandinavian, and the Amerindian. But just because my ancestors believed in something doesn't make it true.

Druidry just seemed to "fit" more. I never actually read much into Asatru when I was researching a religion for myself either, so that may have been part of it.

That's cool. It's not that different from my brand of Asatru, which is Anglo-Saxon Heathenry, except that it is much more spiritual/theological. You might find Heathenry to be a bit too.... dry and simple.