• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haunting

David1967

Premium Member
Haunting verses demonic activity in a house. What are the differences and evidence of each? Anyone here have any experience?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Haunting verses demonic activity in a house. What are the differences and evidence of each? Anyone here have any experience?

As I do not believe in life after death, there are no "souls" haunting anything. Demons can masquerade as spirits of the dead, as in the case of King Saul supposedly asking a medium to conjure up the dead prophet Samuel. He should have known that if God forbids attempted communication with the dead, it is for a good reason. (Deut 18:9-12)

I have had personal experience with demonic activity and it elicits a natural "fight or flight" response. "Fear" is the natural feeling with the hair on your body standing up, telling you this isn't a good experience.

A Catholic friend with whom I was studying the Bible was constantly feeling a sense of unease when around certain religious objects that were left to her mother who had passed away. She also noticed a distinct coldness in that part of the house that wasn't anywhere else. Upon learning more about the Bible, she wondered about those objects and asked if she should get rid of them? Of course I said that it was her decision to make.....so she made it and destroyed the objects. The sense of unease left and the coldness disappeared, so she felt that she had made the right decision.

Demons have but one agenda......to deceive and to entrap.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My mother, brother, and I experienced spirits (I rather say than ghosts). We used to have one spirit in our home. He (as I imagine him since I was so small) was a tall white guy with blue jeans and a white shirt. My mother told me as an adult that he used to walk from the bathroom to the bedroom. The real estate lady came because, being my grandmother's home, she was about to sell it. So the real estate lady went upstairs, then asked my mother "is there someone else living here?" (As you have to put how many people live at a home that wasn't yet paid off) and my mother says, "oh, him. That's just the ghost upstairs." The lady took off out the door and never came back. Likewise, my father saw him and thought my mother was cheating on him. He did return, though.

Latter on I used to sleep in a room by myself. Red carpet and one window facing woods. No neighbors on either side in a fenced in back yard. Whether it was spirits or not, I can't say. What I could say and know is that there was someone throwing pebbles and mini rocks on the window. Some breaking the window and ended up on my floor. My family believe that spirits sometimes travel with someone or maybe a family kind of like becoming attached to them after awhile.

Years later, we moved every two or three years, my mother reported she was held down by a spirit. I had an "outer body experience" which isn't haunting but maybe I was the ghost herself, who knows, right? (You could be talking to a ghost. :eek:) One way you can tell the difference between dreams and "out of your body experiences" is there are no distortions like in the dreams. I literally crawled slowly to get the door and swooshed back into my body. Translate that as you will.

Nowadays, experiences come less often-at least the vibrant ones. The feelings, sensations, and synchronicity happen a lot. I think many people attribute it to spirits or ghosts is because maybe that was how they were raised or taught that spirits are part of reality just as you and I.

Other times "evidence" is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As I do not believe in life after death, there are no "souls" haunting anything. Demons can masquerade as spirits of the dead, as in the case of King Saul supposedly asking a medium to conjure up the dead prophet Samuel. He should have known that if God forbids attempted communication with the dead, it is for a good reason. (Deut 18:9-12)

I have had personal experience with demonic activity and it elicits a natural "fight or flight" response. "Fear" is the natural feeling with the hair on your body standing up, telling you this isn't a good experience.

A Catholic friend with whom I was studying the Bible was constantly feeling an sense of unease when around certain religious objects that were left to her mother who had passed away. She also noticed a distinct coldness in that part of the house that wasn't anywhere else. Upon learning more about the Bible, she wondered about those objects and asked if she should get rid of them? Of course I said that it was her decision to make.....so she made it and destroyed the objects. The sense of unease left and the coldness disappeared, so she felt that she had made the right decision.

Demons have but one agenda......to deceive and to entrap.

I would say @allfoak this is a good explanation of how I feel being around certain people, places, and sometimes objects. For example, I went to camp in college (not high school). It was for a school group of some sort. The park we went to was a county one (larger than a local park but smaller than Yellow Stone) and had different cabins we slept in. Well, there was one cabin me and three other people shared. I was supposed to sleep in one room but as soon as I went in, it felt lead pushed me down or something heavy hovering over me. The lady I spoke with had an uneasy aura around her (like my brother.) So, being around her drained my energy. I told her as we were talking, and she said "people tell me that all the time." I told her a bit about my family and she explained about her experiences and so forth. I never slept in the room.

I would not attribute spirits to demons. If I were to, I'd say these spirits were restless not ones that hurt or bring any pain unless that's that person's personal believe. Sometimes it could just be they are hanging around but since we are not around it all the time (or first time experience) we relate it to something we know well or define it by something we believe in.

I don't have that luxery, so a lot of the spirit-ual experiences I have are just that without any black or white. I'd liken them to family because of the situation at hand and the circumstances during which the event or their presence happened. As for evidence, well.... some people it's the Bible, some generational stories from their family, some I don't know experience without attribution to labels, while others shrug it off as "Same ol' same ol'".

It depends.

allfoak

Alchemist
I would say @allfoak this is a good explanation of how I feel being around certain people, places, and sometimes objects. For example, I went to camp in college (not high school). It was for a school group of some sort. The park we went to was a county one (larger than a local park but smaller than Yellow Stone) and had different cabins we slept in. Well, there was one cabin me and three other people shared. I was supposed to sleep in one room but as soon as I went in, it felt lead pushed me down or something heavy hovering over me. The lady I spoke with had an uneasy aura around her (like my brother.) So, being around her drained my energy. I told her as we were talking, and she said "people tell me that all the time." I told her a bit about my family and she explained about her experiences and so forth. I never slept in the room.

I would not attribute spirits to demons. If I were to, I'd say these spirits were restless not ones that hurt or bring any pain unless that's that person's personal believe. Sometimes it could just be they are hanging around but since we are not around it all the time (or first time experience) we relate it to something we know well or define it by something we believe in.

I don't have that luxery, so a lot of the spirit-ual experiences I have are just that without any black or white. I'd liken them to family because of the situation at hand and the circumstances during which the event or their presence happened. As for evidence, well.... some people it's the Bible, some generational stories from their family, some I don't know experience without attribution to labels, while others shrug it off as "Same ol' same ol'".

It depends.
Your sensitivity is impressive.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I think there are other categories than "ghosts," and "demons." I reject outright the Good/Angels, Bad/Demons dichotomy that seems to pervade both Christianity and American culture. I just can't accept the metaphysical construction of the universe that's attached to these terms.

I have encountered what seem to be the spirits of humans who have passed, but I am reluctant to use the term "ghost" because this also carries a LOT of cultural baggage and metaphysical assumptions that I just can't quite accept.

I experience spirits. Most of them are associated with some material form, but not all are. The vast majority don't seem to have much to do with me and my house and household...some seem to like us, others not so much...but we try to respect them and do things to honor them and acknowledge their presence and their wants/needs...but frankly, for most, there's almost nothing I can do to affect them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It depends.

@David1967

Meant to page you too.

allfoak

Alchemist
Thank you. Believe me. It has its drawbacks. My brother attempted suicide because of it and other things.
The only drawbacks i ever see with anyone with your sensitivity is a lack of knowledge of what is happening, why it is happening and how to use the ability to make it work for them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The only drawbacks i ever see with anyone with your sensitivity is a lack of knowledge of what is happening, why it is happening and how to use the ability to make it work for them.

True. Very true. My mother went into witchcraft for that reason. I've been trying to figure how it can work out without needing to stick to the name "witch" or anything for that matter. Down to earth techniques would probably be those that monitor how you handle emotions and the emotions of others. My brother had it bad but then he was going through a lot of things in addition to being sensitive to people's energies and auras. Sometimes just it sounding like "supernatural stuff" because of the Christianized-area can make people see stuff like this more than what it is.

Of course, it affects people differently. I know personally I wouldn't say it's a demon. Uncomfortable sometimes, yes; but, a bit too fancy of a term for being uncomfortable around a specific energy one can't put a name to. :shrug: Just saying in general. Even my friends have this type of view.

allfoak

Alchemist
True. Very true. My mother went into witchcraft for that reason. I've been trying to figure how it can work out without needing to stick to the name "witch" or anything for that matter. Down to earth techniques would probably be those that monitor how you handle emotions and the emotions of others. My brother had it bad but then he was going through a lot of things in addition to being sensitive to people's energies and auras. Sometimes just it sounding like "supernatural stuff" because of the Christianized-area can make people see stuff like this more than what it is.

Of course, it affects people differently. I know personally I wouldn't say it's a demon. Uncomfortable sometimes, yes; but, a bit too fancy of a term for being uncomfortable around a specific energy one can't put a name to. :shrug: Just saying in general. Even my friends have this type of view.

I don't see a need to adopt any labels, just do what you please and call it your life.
I use the label alchemist when i am here because we need labels to identify people and things.
What i usually tell people when asked if i go to church or if i am religious, is that my whole life is my religion.
Then they usually start with the spiritual not religious thing and i make an attempt to change the subject.
What i do with my private time is just that, private.
How i conduct myself in public is the only thing that should be of concern to others.
If my religious practices are sound it will be evident in the way i conduct my public life.
Just do what helps you.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Add a bit more if I didn't already. The difference is a haunting is an actual event like my telling you I went to the store yesterday and ran into Jane Doe when I haven't seen her in thirty years.

Demons, from how I hear it, are spirits that does not depend on the environment one is in (haunting a house; haunting someone). It's a noun rather than a verb, rather. So, usually demons are said to hurt people or make people do things they wouldn't ordinarily do. It would be considered a haunting if that demon actually maybe followed the person or stayed in that person's area but in and of itself, demons are basically bad spirits.

As for the technically definition of a demon. The Buddha describes them as personification of our illusions, emotions, and things of that nature that leads us away from enlightenment. Christianity sees it as spirits that are not of god.

I've experienced haunting and "good" spirits from a christian perspective. We all have demons from The Buddha's perspective. We just have to wake up and get out of the illusion of attachment... and so on and so forth....

David1967

Premium Member
Add a bit more if I didn't already. The difference is a haunting is an actual event like my telling you I went to the store yesterday and ran into Jane Doe when I haven't seen her in thirty years.

Demons, from how I hear it, are spirits that does not depend on the environment one is in (haunting a house; haunting someone). It's a noun rather than a verb, rather. So, usually demons are said to hurt people or make people do things they wouldn't ordinarily do. It would be considered a haunting if that demon actually maybe followed the person or stayed in that person's area but in and of itself, demons are basically bad spirits.

As for the technically definition of a demon. The Buddha describes them as personification of our illusions, emotions, and things of that nature that leads us away from enlightenment. Christianity sees it as spirits that are not of god.

I've experienced haunting and "good" spirits from a christian perspective. We all have demons from The Buddha's perspective. We just have to wake up and get out of the illusion of attachment... and so on and so forth....

Thank you Carlita. :)