• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hated Food Trends

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Restaurants rated by snooty NYC food critics....pbbbtttt!
They don't know good food. They're slaves to fashion & pretense, like.....
deconstructed fusion artisanal gluten-free non-GMO free-range kale appletinis.

But they are doing very well.

Have you read the menus?

And kale is nice, you should try it

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
hamburgers that are bigger than your head are ridiculous....

Never+Eat+Anything+Bigger+Than+Your+Head+2

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hated food trends.....surprisingly, even though I do not eat them, I agree with the original post.....hamburgers that are bigger than your head are ridiculous....

A restaurant near my office decided that everything needs chili powder......including chicken soup, tomato soup, and every sandwich they sold.....didn't like that either

I like to taste the food, if a want chili i will make or order chili.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The best NYC restaurants are the ones not on the critics' lists.
I eat kale regularly...it's spinach's evil twin.

The best restaurants anywhere are the ones the locals use, its a trick i use no matter where i am and have never been disappointed.

But good restaurants have their niche too.

Spinach doesnt work, no matter what popeye says

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I like to taste the food, if a want chili i will make or order chili.
Sometimes it can be a fun exercise,but I would not make a regular practice of it. A local radio show on cooking has a part where a hypothetical meal is formed using one specific ingredient in every course. In other words it might be interesting to try out that restaurant, but I can't see it as an everyday event.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Chili is far from a single thing.
But there's a related fad I hate....putting Sriracha on everything.
It's best put on a compost pile as possum repellent.

What? You dont use it to hide the bitter, crispy taste of your burnt steak?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The best restaurants anywhere are the ones the locals use, its a trick i use no matter where i am and have never been disappointed.

But good restaurants have their niche too.

Spinach doesnt work, no matter what popeye says
Lamb saagwala! It won't make you strong, but it is good.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sometimes it can be a fun exercise,but I would not make a regular practice of it. A local radio show on cooking has a part where a hypothetical meal is formed using one specific ingredient in every course. In other words it might be interesting to try out that restaurant, but I can't see it as an everyday event.

Chili ice cream sounds interesting

ChristineM

Premium Member
Lamb saagwala! It won't make you strong, but it is good.

Nice but I prefer korai (many different spellings) its what an indian chef recommend to me many moons ago.

If you want a laugh (or get thrown out) ask for a beef curry (any type) in a restaurant in india

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
True dat.
I have a bottle in my fridge right now. Perhaps I will dig through it and see if I still have a "habanero" sauce from Costa Rica . I use the scare quotes because even though it lists habanero peppers as its number one ingredient, it was quite mild. If you like hot salsas I can recommend Mrs. Renfrow's ghost pepper salsa. Its claim of "scary hot" is fairly accurate.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That or pork.

I might have to check out korai.

Do, its a balti style thing in that there are many ways to cook the same thing in a korai pot but the flavours are so yum, so clean, each spice can be detected (if cooked property, and ive never had a bad one).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have a bottle in my fridge right now. Perhaps I will dig through it and see if I still have a "habanero" sauce from Costa Rica . I use the scare quotes because even though it lists habanero peppers as its number one ingredient, it was quite mild. If you like hot salsas I can recommend Mrs. Renfrow's ghost pepper salsa. Its claim of "scary hot" is fairly accurate.
I dislike really hot sauces, preferring the mild ones like Marie Sharps, Melindas (both habenero).
(I consider their "extra hot" to be mild.)
Other kinds of peppers make good sauces too.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think I have looked at lamb korai recipes in the past. The problem is that they are British and some of their terms need translating. For example they use the term "green pepper". I can go to my local Safeway and find at least six different green peppers, from extremely mild to moderately hot. I need a specific type of green pepper.