• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner?

Is "Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner" a legitimate position?

• Yes, it reflects the true feelings of Christians.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No - it is merely a cover.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
This position (held by Christians) is repeated so often it is almost a Mantra for Christians. My question is this - Does this hold water, or is it merely a cover to allow them to perpetrate hatred toward those that don't agree with their morals (i.e. homosexuals, etc.).

TVOR

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
christians should practice it. but how long? where does fear end and hate start? most christians use the word HATE and ABHOR. you may HATE this sin, but all that time spent in HATING is probably a sin itself!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
"Is "Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner" a legitimate position?"

... er? I think you kinda.. uh.. got it backwards.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Jensa is right...I think the phrase you're thinking of is: 'Hate the sin, love the sinner'. Either way, I think it's crap.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I said it right in my post - but got it backwards in the poll. Unfortunately, I can't edit the poll - maybe one of the moderators can.

TVOR

Lightkeeper

If you are saying hate the sin, love the sinner, you are making a judgement and would not be giving the person full love. I don't think unconditional love would even see the sin.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I can understand the concept. Let's say your kid does something wrong... You can hate what he did, but you don't hate him. So I think the trouble with "love the sinner, but hate the sin" is not in the concept itself, but in how often it's actually applied -- and how often it's merely a mask.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't believe people think this is a cover for hateing people. It blows the mind. All of my friends and myself are sinners, if we hated sinners we would be hating ourselves.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Since Buddhists do not believe in sin as a concept it wouldn't matter. You may find the word "sin" used in translations of some Buddhist works, but the concept being translated is quite different than "sin" as used in any sort of Christian or Biblical context.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Mister Emu said:
I can't believe people think this is a cover for hateing people. It blows the mind. All of my friends and myself are sinners, if we hated sinners we would be hating ourselves.
Emu, my friend -

I think the results of how this poll is going (currently) should indicate to anyone that is paying attention that the message that Christians are sending is not the message that is being received.
What the Christian church will, can, or should do about this (if anything) is up to them. I think there is a clear message being sent here - if anyone is wise enough to get it.

TVOR

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Lightkeeper said:
If you are saying hate the sin, love the sinner, you are making a judgement and would not be giving the person full love. I don't think unconditional love would even see the sin.

As usual, Lightkeeper said what I would have said, only much more eloquently. (Outta my mind, Lightkeeper! :D ) I think it says something about the phrase that so many people were expecting to read 'love the sinner, hate the sin' that they (and I) didn't catch the accidental switch-around. It's an excuse to keep treating a certain group the way you've been treating them, with the much more insiduous (sp?) view that you are doing it in their best interests.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
As usual, Lightkeeper said what I would have said, only much more eloquently. (Outta my mind, Lightkeeper! ) I think it says something about the phrase that so many people were expecting to read 'love the sinner, hate the sin' that they (and I) didn't catch the accidental switch-around. It's an excuse to keep treating a certain group the way you've been treating them, with the much more insiduous (sp?) view that you are doing it in their best interests.

I am very sorry you feel this way Feathers and Lightkeeper, that you truly believe the majority(I'm not talking about those rediculous "chrisitans" in the media) have insidious designs.

Voice,

I don't know how we can change it, we can't go out saying what we know is wrong, isn't. We can't just ignore it, as we are duty bound to spread the gosple. So we are in a bad position we want to help people, but people see our help as us judging or looking down upon others.

I know that some who claim Christianity do judge and look down upon others, and they are the most vociferous, and they like to get in the media and spew. Yet the majority of Christians(as far as I know, which is every Chrisitan I have come in contact with) are niot like that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mister Emu said:
I am very sorry you feel this way Feathers and Lightkeeper, that you truly believe the majority(I'm not talking about those rediculous "chrisitans" in the media) have insidious designs.
It must be a chilly day in hell, because I find myself in substantial agreement with Mr. Emu for once. I think the vast majority of Christians are pretty decent people who certainly do not intend to be hypocritical when they say "love the sinner but hate the sin". What makes that statement sound like crap is its use by the likes of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robinson, and so forth. When they use it, it somehow doesn't seem to me nearly so sincere as when the average decent Christian refers to it as a principle they look to for guidance.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Hehe Sunstone, I saw your name, and my mind went into prepare for arguement mode :)

Then you agreed with me! Snowball fight!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mister Emu said:
Hehe Sunstone, I saw your name, and my mind went into prepare for arguement mode :)

Then you agreed with me! Snowball fight!

*lobs slush-ball* You're on!!

Scott1

You two crack me up!

Sunstone said:
I think the vast majority of Christians are pretty decent people who certainly do not intend to be hypocritical when they say "love the sinner but hate the sin".
Thank you for saying so, Sunstone.

I would like to add that, intentions aside, using a "catch phrase" like this that has the word "hate" in it is contrary to the true message of the Gospel. I don't think God hates sin or sinners.
God is love, not hate.

Peace,
Scott

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*giggles at Sunstone and Mister Emu and gives them a hug* I'm sorry that it came out sounding that way, and I apoligize that it did, since that is not my belief at all. I think the vast majority of Christians are incredibly wonderful, truly righteous, and kind people. As we've discussed about other religions (or groups), it seems like those that have a radical viewpoint are the ones the media focuses on, and thus the ones many others focus on. If I thought I could judge anyone based on their faith (especially when it's a viewpoint that most of those who would be hypothetically judged don't share) or beliefs, I would immeadiately be on par with those I percieved as being judgemental in the first place. Again, I'm sorry that it sounded this way.