• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate The Government Thread

Duke_Leto

Tyranny, eh.
Did someone abduct you, & force you to come here?
You have my sympathy for being victimized so.

Your thread assaulted my eyeballs. I didn't ask to see it! As per the NAP, I may now shoot you and your dog and claim your property, according to my understanding of Libertarianism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Careful. Once we invoke the divine, we run the risk of discovering a system of morality based elsewise than private property. Is that really a risk you want to take??
Reality will be what it will be.
What I have to say about it matters not.

Duke_Leto

Sometimes I forget that not everyone speaks southern.

Southern Scotland, O thou who claimeth to be Scottish? Lies pile upon lies! Caught in a web of your own making, you can only entrap yourself further! What can save you now but the blood of our lord Jesus Christ? Will you accept the Pantocrator, Revoltingest, or be cast into the fire on the last day?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Southern Scotland, O thou who claimeth to be Scottish? Lies pile upon lies! Caught in a web of your own making, you can only entrap yourself further! What can save you now but the blood of our lord Jesus Christ? Will you accept the Pantocrator, Revoltingest, or be cast into the fire on the last day?
Why is it that people often see me bathing in the Lake Of Fire?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, when capitalists talk about "getting government off our backs," they were lying?
I wouldn't be quick to call every conservative a liar.
I'd wager that most really do want gov "off our backs",
but in the political world we'll also see some who are
sincere but facing political reality, some who give
only lip service, & some who fail.
This is just as not all liberals lie about pursuing progressive
agendas. They too have some diversity in their ranks.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't be quick to call every conservative a liar.
I'd wager that most really do want gov "off our backs",
but in the political world we'll also see some who are
sincere but facing political reality, some who give
only lip service, & some who fail.
This is just as not all liberals lie about pursuing progressive
agendas. They too have some diversity in their ranks.

I see it across the board, with both liberals and conservatives. It's mainly the consequence of political sloganeering and pandering. They say things like "We're going to get government off your backs," and the crowds cheer because it's what they want to hear. Even liberals would agree with the idea in theory, although they might look it from the viewpoint of civil liberties and individual human rights, whereas conservatives tend to focus more on economic and business rights.

Both sides claim to be committed to human rights and freedom, yet these very same politicians are running a government which does the kinds of things being cited in this thread. The voters don't want this, and the politicians from both sides claim they don't want a government which does these things. And yet it still happens. Why?

I think one of the problems is that it's too easy for government officials to hide in a sea of anonymity and enjoy a complete lack of accountability. For example, in the article you linked in post #58, nowhere does it say who the specific agent was who confiscated the money, who made the decision to keep it, who refused to accept the evidence that the money was legit, and why they refused to give it back. Whoever these government officials are, they should be publicly named and called out.

They should have to answer for what they did, and the people should demand an answer. If they don't have a good answer, then lock 'em up. That's the only way to reduce these kinds of thing from happening in the future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see it across the board, with both liberals and conservatives. It's mainly the consequence of political sloganeering and pandering. They say things like "We're going to get government off your backs," and the crowds cheer because it's what they want to hear. Even liberals would agree with the idea in theory, although they might look it from the viewpoint of civil liberties and individual human rights, whereas conservatives tend to focus more on economic and business rights.

Both sides claim to be committed to human rights and freedom, yet these very same politicians are running a government which does the kinds of things being cited in this thread. The voters don't want this, and the politicians from both sides claim they don't want a government which does these things. And yet it still happens. Why?

I think one of the problems is that it's too easy for government officials to hide in a sea of anonymity and enjoy a complete lack of accountability. For example, in the article you linked in post #58, nowhere does it say who the specific agent was who confiscated the money, who made the decision to keep it, who refused to accept the evidence that the money was legit, and why they refused to give it back. Whoever these government officials are, they should be publicly named and called out.

They should have to answer for what they did, and the people should demand an answer. If they don't have a good answer, then lock 'em up. That's the only way to reduce these kinds of thing from happening in the future.
Alas, answering for what they did doesn't seem to be
much of a problem for politicians. Records of their
actions in office are of secondary importance to voters.
As we can see on RF, & in the media, votes are driven
mostly by party affiliation, disdain for the opposing
candidate, personal appeal, & the diversity factor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
D.C. issues record $1 billion in traffic and parking tickets, AAA calls it 'predatory'
Excerpted....
One widely regarded metric for jurisdictions with effective automated traffic
enforcement is that the number of tickets and fines consistently decreases
in traffic camera locations. It indicates drivers are learning and responding
to signs and other indicators to reduce speed or stop. Townsend says D.C.'s
numbers show just the opposite, indicating the presence of speed traps
- designed to surprise motorists and generate revenue, rather than alter
driver behavior.

Milton Platt

D.C. issues record $1 billion in traffic and parking tickets, AAA calls it 'predatory'
Excerpted....
One widely regarded metric for jurisdictions with effective automated traffic
enforcement is that the number of tickets and fines consistently decreases
in traffic camera locations. It indicates drivers are learning and responding
to signs and other indicators to reduce speed or stop. Townsend says D.C.'s
numbers show just the opposite, indicating the presence of speed traps
- designed to surprise motorists and generate revenue, rather than alter
driver behavior.

I always thought that having cameras and radar at intersections to catch those who ran red lights was a great idea...I figured it would free up officers to pursue serious criminals. Then we started getting them here in Houston. An outside company installed them under a contract that gave them a portion of the fines collected. They set the caution (yellow) light very short and then you got a ticket no matter where you were in the intersection when the light changed. There was a revolt and citizens showed up to give the city council an earful. We no longer have them.