• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anything shaken your choice of atheism?

Sententia

Has anyone ever presented an argument that forced you to question your choice of being an atheist?

In the four horsemen this was asked and it was presented that perhaps it is because of the way the west has respected faith and religion that you dont see what is happening on the other side of the pond. That is interesting if you support a milatant or more active atheist argument but has anything ever caused you pause in your beliefs?

Seven

six plus one
Since I reasoned myself out of my faith I've never looked back. The more I learn and the more I question the further I am taken from a belief in god.

Having said that, If it wasn't for my understanding of evolution I don't think I would have been an atheist.

As far as militant atheism goes, I don't think it's a good idea. I think the world would be a much better place without faith, but trying to eradicate faith from the world will only cause division and suffering.

Without meaning to sound condescending, I think humanity will grow out of faith in it's own good time.

Not yet, but then again... I think the questioning might happen more amongst those who were true believers, than for those who were lukewarm or borderline agnostic from birth. I put myself in the second category.

When you have had a catechism drilled into you in your formative years, I have seen in others how it effects them, how powerful it can be. For instance, despite all the reason in the world, one does not as easily dismiss hell when one was truly fearful of it through most of life, especially when your entire family and community reinforce this concept to you.

There has never been a reason for me to believe, and there has never been a reason to shake my "choice" of atheism in any serious way. I speculate about things, and ask a lot of questions, but it does not bring me closer to any religion, only hopefully closer to the people in religion.

Smoke

Done here.
It seems like more of a realization than a choice. I was surprised to realize I didn't believe in god anymore. To start believing in god again, I'd need new data about god -- and a life spent studying and practicing religion hasn't given me the slightest reason to think that data will ever be forthcoming.

If I started believing in god again, it would be much more surprising than my not believing. It would be like realizing in middle age that you really did believe in Santa Claus after all.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Pondering that God may not be as I have imagined certainly causes me to consider that my atheism is not as much of a certainty as others'.

The realisation that people who are more intelligent, insightful and honest than me believe passionately in some form of God makes me imagine I may know what they seem to some day.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I analyze everything before accepting it. If some produces a new statement that may set me back(very rare there almost always old cliches). I look at there life and how they live it. There religion and what it says and does and of course it does't stand up to its own standards.

Someday if someone actually meet the critera they set they may make me change my mind.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Has anyone ever presented an argument that forced you to question your choice of being an atheist?

In the four horsemen this was asked and it was presented that perhaps it is because of the way the west has respected faith and religion that you dont see what is happening on the other side of the pond. That is interesting if you support a milatant or more active atheist argument but has anything ever caused you pause in your beliefs?

I don't really see atheism as a choice. As I grew, developed, and learned more and more about the world, I came to see how truth provided through a rationalist perspective resonated with me. Atheism was an inevitable conclusion as a result, along with many other conclusions.

That being the case, in order to question my atheism, I would have to question the underlying validity of logic, reason, and knowledge. However, if it came to that, then there would be no objective, consistent, or meaningful basis for forming any beliefs, opinions, or perspectives on anything. I guess that's what faith is though.

So, somebody would have to provide an argument which would make me think faith was better than reason in order for me to question being an atheist.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't really see atheism as a choice. As I grew, developed, and learned more and more about the world, I came to see how truth provided through a rationalist perspective resonated with me. Atheism was an inevitable conclusion as a result, along with many other conclusions.

That being the case, in order to question my atheism, I would have to question the underlying validity of logic, reason, and knowledge. However, if it came to that, then there would be no objective, consistent, or meaningful basis for forming any beliefs, opinions, or perspectives on anything. I guess that's what faith is though.

So, somebody would have to provide an argument which would make me think faith was better than reason in order for me to question being an atheist.
Please forgive the intrusion, I just had to remark on this.

I find it fascinating that our stances are so similar while being diametrically opposed.

Sententia

I think me becoming an extian was a long time coming but I don't think anything or anyone has shaken my choice of becoming an atheist since I actively made that choice.

Honestly my friends and family don't really care that I'm an atheist. Most of them are atheists. There are a few pagans... Close, Close friends are atheists or agnostics. And 1 Roman Catholic and 1 or 2 Pagans... whatever. They are Extian or Formons but some are just nothing... They grew up without religion and dont want one.

What strikes me as scary is that its Millions of atheists and BILLIONS of theists. And there are many Millions of those billions and billions theists that will kill you, me and the whole world if possible to prove how devout they are or to get their rewards.

If you havent seen religulous I recommend it. Traitor I watched recently and reminded me of the same thing.

If I am shaken its not because of my choice to be an atheist... (Choice is a bad word here... I dont feel I really had a choice... its just the next step and in no way am I arguing the final step)

If I am shaken it is because of how easily someone who is just like me physically... blood, bones, organs etc... can so easily not only be different... different is fine... but so polar opposite.

Suicide terrorists are bad sure... Thats great but Im not talking about them. Im talking about the guy that sent them. (And will continue to send them) The guy that sent the terrorists to the hotel in india... Etc Etc.

When I hear War on Religion these days I feel that religion is just the tool. Lack of Education is another tool. But what makes someone want to send these terrorists? Is it pride? Is it shame?

To say its just religion I think gives way too much importance to the misguided ramblings of really what amounts to hocus pocus and superstition.

Anyways...

I guess since I became an atheist I stopped thinking about how to please god and save my soul and how to truly save others. Telling them about fake jesus and buying them a subscription to the Awake and Watchtower or handing them a BoM might make you feel good and might even help them live a better a life but ultimately its not helping humanity.

Perhaps a subscription to Seed? SciAm? Hmmm....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Not an argument, no.

What is "the four horsemen"? What/where is the "other side of the pond"? (In Canada that phrase refers to the U.K.)

Sententia

Not an argument, no.

What is "the four horsemen"? What/where is the "other side of the pond"? (In Canada that phrase refers to the U.K.)

The four horse men normally refers to Conquest, War, Famine, and Death. Oddly Dawkins, Denett, Hitchens and Harris put together a video called the four horsemen.

Its on Youtube here: YouTube - The Four Horsemen: Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens (1/12)
I guess you can buy it here: THE FOUR HORSEMEN - Discussions with Richard Dawkins: Episode 1 [14] - $20.00 : The RichardDawkins.net Online Store, DVDs, apparel, accessories and more

Dawkins Links Hour 1 and hour 2 here:
http://media.richarddawkins.net/video/4h/4H_Hour1_web.mov
http://media.richarddawkins.net/video/4h/4H_Hour2_web.mov

Its not earth shaking. Quite interesting though.

Across the pond is used by my friends to mean the other side of the atlantic. I have no idea why they call the atlantic a pond. I think its a military thing. Nonetheless it would seem that if I didnt misuse the slang it doesnt actually convey what was said. Here is the portion of the four horse men in context.

[SH] I have a question for the three of you. Is there any argument for faith, any challenge to your atheism that has given you pause, that has set you back on your heels where you felt you didn’t have a ready answer, etc?
[DD] Actually I can’t think of anything.
[RD] I mean, I think the closest is the idea that the fundamental constants of the universe are too good to be true. And that does seem to me to need some kind of explanation. If it’s true. I mean, Victor Stenger doesn’t think it is true but many physicists do. I mean, it certainly doesn’t in any way suggest to me creative intelligence because you're still left with the problem of explaining where that came from. And a creative intelligence who is sufficiently creative and intelligent enough to fine-tune the constants of the universe to give rise to us has, to got to be a lot more fine-tuned himself than …
[CH] Yeah, why create all the other planets in our solar system dead?
[RD] Well, that’s a separate question.
[CH] Well say we think he was that good. Bishop Montefiore was very good at this; he was a former friend of mine. He’d say that you have to marvel at the conditions of life and the knife-edge on which they are. And I'd say well, it is a knife edge. Yes, a lot of our planet is too hot or too cold.
[SH] Right. Riddled with parasites.
[CH] The other planets are completely too hot or too cold to support it. And that’s just one solar system, the only one we know about where there is life. Not much of a designer. And of course you can’t get out of the infinite regress. But I’ve not come across a single persuasive argument of that kind. But I wouldn’t have expected to because, as I realised when I thought one evening, they never come up with anything new. Well, why would they? Their arguments are very old by definition. And they were all evolved when we knew very, very little about the natural order. The only argument that I find at all attractive, and this is for faith you asked as well as for theism, is what I would, I suppose I’d call the apotropaic. When people say all praise belongs to God for this, He's to be thanked for all this. That is actually a form of modesty. It’s a superstitious one, that’s why I say apotropaic, but it's avoiding hubris. It’s also for that reason, obviously pre-monotheistic. But, religion does, or can, help people to avoid hubris, I think, morally and intellectually and that might be a …
[RD] But that’s not an argument that it’s true.
[CH] Oh, for heaven’s sake! No. There are and cannot be any such arguments, I think.
[SH] Well maybe I should broaden this question.
[DD] Well, no, no. Wait a minute! I think …
[SH] Before you answer Dan, I want …
[DD] I could give you several discoveries which would shake my faith right to the ground.
[SH] No, no! Let me just broaden the question.
[DD] Yep, yep.
[SH] Not only …
[CH] (inaudible) and the Precambrian?
[RD] No, no, no. That won’t work!
(laughter)
[SH] Not only in argument for the plausibility of religious belief, but an argument that suggests that what we’re up to, criticising faith, is a bad thing.
[RD] Oh, that’s much easier.
[SH] That we shouldn’t be, so let's exclude that.
[CH] Ah! Okay, yes, by all means.
[SH] We shouldn’t be doing what we’re doing.
[RD] That's much easier.
[SH] Okay.
[DD] It’s easier to think of a good reason?
[RD] Oh, I mean, if somebody could come up with an argument that says that the world is a better place and everybody believes the falsehood, is there any context though, in your work or in dialogue with your critics, where you feel that that argument has given you pause?
[DD] Oh, yes. Oh, yes! Not so much in ‘Breaking The Spell’ but when I was working on my book on free will,, ‘Freedom Evolves’. I kept running into critics who were basically expressing something very close to a religious few, namely free will is such an important idea, if we gave up the idea of free will, people would lose their sense of responsibility and we would have chaos. And, you really don’t wanna look too closely, just avert your eyes. Do not look too closely at this issue of free will and determinism. And I thought about that explicitly in the environmental impact category. Okay, could I imagine that my irrepressible curiosity could lead me to articulate something true or false …
[SH] That’s dangerous.
[DD] which would have such devastating effects on the world, that I should just shut up and change the subject?
[SH] Right.
[DD] And I think that’s a good question that we all should ask.
[RD] Yeah, it's good.
[DD] Absolutely! And I spent a lot of time thinking hard about that and I wouldn't have published either of those two books if I hadn’t come to the conclusion that it was not only, as it were, environmentally safe to proceed this way, but obligatory. But I think you should ask that question. I do.
[SH] Right.
[RD] Before publishing a book, but not before deciding for yourself do I think that this is true or not? One should never do what some politically motivated critics do, which is to say this is so politically obnoxious that it cannot be true, and which is a different …
[DD] Which is a different thing entirely. No. No.
[CH] No, it would be like discovering that you thought that the bell on white and black intelligence was a correct interpretation of IQ.
[RD] Yes, and you could well suppress publication of …
[CH] You see (inaudible) And now I’ve looked at all this stuff again, I’m absolutely (inaudible) … so you could say, “now what am I gonna do?”
[SH] Right.
[CH] Fortunately these questions don’t, in fact, present themselves in that way.
[SH] I’ll tell you one place where it’s presented itself to me, I think it was an op-ed in the LA times, I could be mistaken, but someone argued that the reason why the Muslim population in the US is not radicalised the way it is in Western Europe, is largely the result of the fact that we honour faith so much in our discourse that the community has not become as insular and as grievance-ridden as it has …
[DD] As in Western Europe?
[SH] in Western Europe. Now, I don’t know if this is true, but if it were true that gave me a moment’s pause.

jrbogie

yep, and that someone was albert einstein. though with me his argument was presented in a somewhat round about manner which did not envolve a direct conversation with the great one. when talking about his agnosticism, he would often say that the human mind was incapable of knowing about gods, the afterlife and supernatural phenomena. when i called myself an atheist i use to ask myself, "how can anybody know about god either way?" einstein made sense to me in this as he does in many things. though some of those many things i'll just credit him with knowing far more than i do. anyway, i've referred to myself as an agnostic ever since. but i prefer the term humanist but hey, why confuse the issue further huh?

Sententia

yep, and that someone was albert einstein. though with me his argument was presented in a somewhat round about manner which did not envolve a direct conversation with the great one. when talking about his agnosticism, he would often say that the human mind was incapable of knowing about gods, the afterlife and supernatural phenomena. when i called myself an atheist i use to ask myself, "how can anybody know about god either way?" einstein made sense to me in this as he does in many things. though some of those many things i'll just credit him with knowing far more than i do. anyway, i've referred to myself as an agnostic ever since. but i prefer the term humanist but hey, why confuse the issue further huh?

Atheism shouldn't even be in our vocabulary. You are agnostic about a great many things I would imagine... Fairies, Leprechauns, Hydras, Unicorns, Efreeti, Djinn, Daemons, Demons, Angels etc etc

But none of those things if you disbelieve would ever get your tongue ripped out. People who devoutly believe in unicorns don't fly planes into our buildings to prove how devoutly they believe in horses with horns and magic powers.

I call myself an atheist to make the distinction clear. I dont believe in god, gods or anything of the sort. I am not agnostic about it. Any evidence I have seen for god is in short - ridiculous. The evidence against god seems overwhelmingly convincing that there is no god.

Einstein was against the term atheism because of the stigmatism attached to it and what it represented. Most atheists he had known of were angry people hell bent on destroying religion and he wanted not to be associated with that.

But to my original point, calling myself an atheist is like calling myself an afairist or an aunicornist. ;)

Last edited: