• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hark, the Herald Angels...Sing?

In the Bible, angels never sing. They say things, proclaim things, I think they even shout things....but they never are seen singing in Scripture. If you'd like to prove me wrong, I invite Scripture citations.
In the meantime, does anyone know where the idea that angels sing came from? We see the idea all the time, especially in Christian music, but I don't know where it originated.

FerventGodSeeker

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, we all know they're issued harps along with their robes, sandals, &c. Surely not all their playing is purely instrumental.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I can't help you in providing anything historical (like you've requested...sorry)...

I think the concept of angels singing is something that's been assumed based upon what we have been taught via the Bible about angels.

One definiton that I've come across of the verb "sing" is "to recount or celebrate" and we know from the bible that angels do worship and praise.

I don't think it unlikely that they are in constant celebration of our Heavenly Father.

As Seyorni mentioned instruments...I think it likely that it's been assumed that along with playing instruments in praise...angels also sing praises.

dawny0826 said:
One definiton that I've come across of the verb "sing" is "to recount or celebrate" and we know from the bible that angels do worship and praise.

I don't think it unlikely that they are in constant celebration of our Heavenly Father.

As Seyorni mentioned instruments...I think it likely that it's been assumed that along with playing instruments in praise...angels also sing praises.
While this is potentially possible, I do not believe that worship and praise are confined to music. We can worship and praise God in a number of ways, and I don't think there's a reason to assume that when angels priase God that they sing. As Seyorni also mentioned them having a harp to sing along with, I have never seen a Bible verse where any angels are seen with harps.

FerventGodSeeker

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Revelations 5:11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they sang:
"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!"
NIV

And that's the rest of the story... :D BTW, this is part of Handel's Messiah: a most beautiful piece of music.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FerventGodSeeker said:
While this is potentially possible, I do not believe that worship and praise are confined to music. We can worship and praise God in a number of ways, and I don't think there's a reason to assume that when angels priase God that they sing. As Seyorni also mentioned them having a harp to sing along with, I have never seen a Bible verse where any angels are seen with harps.

FerventGodSeeker

I agree with you completely. I don't think that worship and praise are confined to music either.

And I didn't mention harps...I simply noted that Seyorni mentioned instruments. :)

I think it can go either way. Based upon what we have in scripture...I'd say because it isn't directly mentioned...the concept of angels singing may be a man made notion.

I can also see how people could assume that they DO sing because one can "celebrate" God in many ways...singing being one of those ways.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
Revelations 5:11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they sang:
NIV

And that's the rest of the story... :D BTW, this is part of Handel's Messiah: a most beautiful piece of music.

My NKJV uses "saying" in the place of "sang" but my gut feeling is that they're interchangeable.

Thanks for the scriptural references. :)

NetDoc said:
NIV

Unfortunately, you'll find that the NIV isn't the greatest translation. The New King James that I use says, "saying with a loud voice..." The Greek word there is lego, and it is translated quite consistently throughout the New Testament as "say". If we were to assume that this word actually meant "sing" the New Testament would become a musical;) . But I almost thought you had me for a second!:D

FerventGodSeeker

dawny0826 said:
I agree with you completely. I don't think that worship and praise are confined to music either.

And I didn't mention harps...I simply noted that Seyorni mentioned instruments. :)

I think it can go either way. Based upon what we have in scripture...I'd say because it isn't directly mentioned...the concept of angels singing may be a man made notion.

I can also see how people could assume that they DO sing because one can "celebrate" God in many ways...singing being one of those ways.
That's a good point, it may have just been a natural assumption, but I just find it odd that we hear it so often but it's never in Scripture, and I don't think that there's a reason to assume it. Honestly, it doesn't make that big of a difference in the long run, but I just think its interesting to study, and I am wondering when the concept entered Christian history.

FerventGodSeeker

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FerventGodSeeker said:
Unfortunately, you'll find that the NIV isn't the greatest translation. The New King James that I use says, "saying with a loud voice..." The Greek word there is lego, and it is translated quite consistently throughout the New Testament as "say". If we were to assume that this word actually meant "sing" the New Testament would become a musical;) . But I almost thought you had me for a second!:D

FerventGodSeeker

I think the NIV is very good. And to be honest...truly what would be the difference between saying something with a loud voice and singing..."with a loud voice"...indicates projectory...I don't have a problem accepting that this could mean singing as opposed to screaming. :)

dawny0826 said:
I think the NIV is very good. And to be honest...truly what would be the difference between saying something with a loud voice and singing..."with a loud voice"...indicates projectory...I don't have a problem accepting that this could mean singing as opposed to screaming. :)
I think the NIV is lacking in a lot of ways. On top of being written at an 8th grade reading level (no joke), it actually deletes a number of verses from Scripture.
I think that it is quite possible for angels to project something with a loud voice without singing. They aren't human, they aren't hindered by human vocal chords capacity. I think they can shout or proclaim loudly without singing.

FerventGodSeeker

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FerventGodSeeker said:
That's a good point, it may have just been a natural assumption, but I just find it odd that we hear it so often but it's never in Scripture, and I don't think that there's a reason to assume it. Honestly, it doesn't make that big of a difference in the long run, but I just think its interesting to study, and I am wondering when the concept entered Christian history.

FerventGodSeeker

We sing. We're capable of singing praises.

Angels were created by the very same God...I think God is more than capable of creating beings that would sing his praises as we do! There are angels whose purpose is to constantly praise and worship God. Our kind, gentle and jealous God...whether or not they sing or simply shout...I'm sure it's beautiful...either way.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FerventGodSeeker said:
I think the NIV is lacking in a lot of ways. On top of being written at an 8th grade reading level (no joke), it actually deletes a number of verses from Scripture.
I think that it is quite possible for angels to project something with a loud voice without singing. They aren't human, they aren't hindered by human vocal chords capacity. I think they can shout or proclaim loudly without singing.

FerventGodSeeker

I think they can too but I don't think we'll know until we get there...if you know what I mean. :)

I'm partial to the NKJV but I also refer to the NIV, NLT and NCV and when comparing scripture...the differences really aren't huge. Truly.

dawny0826 said:
We sing. We're capable of singing praises.

Angels were created by the very same God...I think God is more than capable of creating beings that would sing his praises as we do!
Sure, but He's also capable of creating blue weasel ghosts on Pluto....yet the question is, does He?
There are angels whose purpose is to constantly praise and worship God. Our kind, gentle and jealous God...whether or not they sing or simply shout...I'm sure it's beautiful...either way
I'm sure it is.

FerventGodSeeker

dawny0826 said:
I think they can too but I don't think we'll know until we get there...if you know what I mean. :)
Sure

I'm partial to the NKJV but I also refer to the NIV, NLT and NCV and when comparing scripture...the differences really aren't huge. Truly.
Well actually, they are, especially in reference to the NIV. The NIV colloquializes the language so much that it's practically a paraphrase. And again, this is not even considering the fact that the NIV just deletes numerous verses that are contained in all other Bibles.

FerventGodSeeker

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
FerventGodSeeker said:
At least it beats the heck out of the KJV! Who wants to translate a translation? :D Fortunately, no matter what translation we use, it is the Holy Spirit that helps us to understand what is written.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Seyorni said:
Well, we all know they're issued harps along with their robes, sandals, &c. Surely not all their playing is purely instrumental.

I read your post and got a mental picture of this big, Phishlike jam band in heaven.:band:

dawny0826 said:
Which version do you prefer, do you mind me asking?
My personal preference in the New King James, since it is a good solid translation but is easier to read without the "thees" and "thous". However, when I do a Bible study I am spending so much time looking up the Greek or Hebrew of the passage that the English becomes a secondary necesity.

FerventGodSeeker