1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hark, the Herald Angels...Sing?

Discussion in 'Christianity DIR' started by FerventGodSeeker, May 22, 2006.

1. FerventGodSeeker

FerventGodSeeker Believer

Ratings:
    +148

2. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,191
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Or not singing. :D

3. FerventGodSeeker

Ratings:
    +148
    Nor playing the bagpipes while hopping on one foot, sticking their tongue out while cross-eyed, or jumping small buildings in a single bound...Do we really have to go through this again?;) :p

FerventGodSeeker

4. SunMessenger

SunMessenger Catholic

Ratings:
    +86
    According to revelations they can certainly play one mean trumpet even if they don't sing ... Be Well and God Bless...

5. Jay Snell

Jay Snell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting but the Received Text, both Stephanus 1550 and Elzevir 1624, use the word "lego" which means to say.
    Jay

6. Scuba Pete

Ratings:
    +3,191
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Just clarifying what it DOESN'T say. :D But feel free to take umbrage at my clarifications! I just wanted to point out that MY opinion is just as valid as YOUR opinion on this: God didn't make it all that clear, one way or the other, now did he?

BTW, won't YOU be surprised when you see that angel playing the bagpipes while hopping on one foot, sticking their tongue out while cross-eyed at the pearly gates! :D

7. FerventGodSeeker

Ratings:
    +148
    Well that's the thing...opinions are just opinions. Your opinion and my opinion aren't really relevant in the big scheme of things. The issue is, does Scripture or Tradition indicate that angels sing? No, they don't. Unless you automatically assume that someone who plays an instrument also sings (I think a lot of professional musicians would take exception to that), then you can't assume it (or at least I see no reason why you should). I think you have formed your opinion that angels sing based on the fact that you've heard about angels singing in Christian music (lots of Christmas songs mention it) or art, and thus the thought of singing just comes naturally to your mind when you think of angels. While it's obviously not a major point of doctrine and not something to get one's knickers in a twist about, I am simply pointing out that I think that is a faulty assumption (or at least, that's the way it seems at this point) since the idea is not stated in Scripture nor has it been taught by Holy Tradition (although since you're not Catholic, you don't even accept that).

Yes, I would be quite surprised:angel2: . I just hope God doesn't give us a quiz on the nature of angels before He lets us in: "So, Nick, do angels or do angels not sing? By the way, this question could determine the fate of your soul.":D

FerventGodSeeker

8. Scuba Pete

Ratings:
    +3,191
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Dude... you are missing the BIG POINT. Does scripture or tradition indicate OTHERWISE??? No, it doesn't indicate it EITHER WAY. WHY??? It's not that important, now is it? Yours is a legalistic rendition while mine is by grace. YOU want to make a LAW out of whether angels sing or not, and I am pointing out that there are far bigger issues to determine your salvation.

Don't draw lines in the sand that God doesn't specifically draw. Just because YOU believe something does not make it so. Let's look at what Paul had to say about those who want to put burdens on others:

Galations 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
    2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. NIV

Jesus DIED to free us from the Mosaic laws... why are you trying to make any more?

9. FerventGodSeeker

Ratings:
    +148

10. SunMessenger

SunMessenger Catholic

Ratings:
    +86
    This was a harmless question. If anyone is creating a burden perhaps you are in your own mind. What law is this person writing. It was a simple interesting question. Perhaps you misunderstood the concept of this thread. It would not hurt to read the original post again. Relax . Why cant people discuss the simplest of topics without someone making it an issue? :faint: Be Well and God Bless ...

11. James the Persian

James the Persian Dreptcredincios Crestin

Ratings:
    +654
    Just a minor point, but you don't have to be a Roman Catholic to accept Holy Tradition. Both the Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox communions have much the same attitude to Holy Tradition that Roman Catholics do.

I'd also say that you're remarkably sure that Holy Tradition doesn't teach that angels sing. I certainly couldn't be anywhere near as sure (and in fact suspect the opposite) and yet I'm a member of a church that does cling to Holy Tradition. Could you explain what you think Holy Tradition entails? You see, part of Holy Tradition is Liturgics and Hymnography. I'm pretty sure then that those Protestants who do accept Holy Tradition (Anglicans are it as far as I'm aware) could legitimately say that it does simply by reference to their hymnography. Likewise, given that an important (and difficult to sing) part of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy is the Cherubic Hymn which, quite apart from the name, states that we who are singing are representing in the Church the cherubim, who are angels, in our singing, I would say that Holy Tradition, on balance, does teach the idea that angels sing. In this case specifically, the Thrice Holy hymn, or Trisagion.

James

12. FerventGodSeeker

Ratings:
    +148

• Like Like x 1
  13. James the Persian

Ratings:
    +654

14. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    To my knowledge, the Church does not consider Liturgical hymnography as Holy Tradition. We do consider it tradition (small "t"), but what is to be sung is subject to change. Here is a short snip it of Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical Athenaeum dealing with Protestant hymns in the Mass. It will give you glimpse as to what the Church cares about.

It is to be noted that many (inside and outside the Church, etc.) often voice their objections to the Church allowing such things. They say that the Church is becoming to "Prostestant friendly". But the Church has always stretched the poles (paganism trying to lurk into the Church) as far as she can without deviating from truth.

<snip>

This should be taken into account in the case of Protestant hymns. They may be used in the liturgy provided they conform to Catholic doctrine. Any hymn that contains doctrine contrary to Catholic teachings, or is ambiguous, should not be used.

Liturgical melodies are there to assist prayer and should be distinctive in style and tone from worldly music. Their function is to elevate the spirit — not set the foot tapping or the imagination rolling. Therefore, they should never be baptized versions of current hits — or, as is more common, hits from the previous generation — but should seek to express the religious value of the text for, in Catholic tradition, the text always has priority over the music and in a sense is its soul.

<snip>

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/ZLITURG8.HTM

15. James the Persian

Ratings:
    +654
    Just to be clear, you are referring to Liturgical Hymnography in a different way to what I mean, right? As I understand it you seem to be saying that the sort of protestant style hymns (what the previous poster referred to as everyday hymns) aren't Holy Tradition. On that, I think we can agree. The closest we have to anything like that is perhaps Christmas carols (generally sung outside the Church). That's very different, though, from things like the Cherubic Hymn, the Trisagion etc. These are integral parts of the Liturgy (which like a traditional RC Mass is almost entirely sung) and as such unless you were to say that the Liturgy (or Mass) itself is not Holy Tradition then you cannot possibly regard them as anything other than Holy Tradition, or can you? I'd also point out (as it was mentioned in your quote) that I am talking of the texts and not the music. As I said, the music has evolved over time and differs depending on the specific church. That, then, is clearly a small t tradition.

James

16. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Religion:
    Catholic
    It does sound like I am seeing this differently. The Mass certainly is Holy Tradition. Perhaps if we were to dig further we would agree, but unfortunately I have helped lead us off topic.

17. Snowbear

Snowbear Nita Okhata

Ratings:
    +263
    Really??? Which ones???

Though I occasionally cross-reference the NIV, it's not the one I usually read, so just wondering....

18. Snowbear

Snowbear Nita Okhata

Ratings:
    +263
    Not to mention parking lots or podiums or sound and recording systems :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scuba Pete

Ratings:
    +3,191
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Unfortunately, they just don't see the fallacy of the thinking here.

20. Snowbear

Snowbear Nita Okhata

Ratings:
    +263
    So Doc.... you are a member of your local church of Christ, right??

Is the leadership of your church open to the suggestion that just because a concept (like intrumental music during church services) is not mentioned in scripture means it can't be done? I'm kind of taking this a step farther and wondering if things like a capela music ARE mentioned as a part of formal worshop services? If not, why is music allowed at all during worship services :eek: