• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy New Year!

Maya3

I never do resolutions exactly, but I´m going to make a point of chanting before I meditate. My meditations have been extremely unfocused of and on the last couple of years, and I have to take the time to chant first. It always make a difference.

Happy New Year!

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh, that's what I figured but I wasn't sure.

It's tough in the west, when the dominant culture does follow a different calendar. Stat holidays are pretty hard not to notice. On the opposite side of the coin, our religious holidays are hard to observe sometimes because of work. It would be tough to petition the govt. too because the vast majority of religious holiday dates vary from year to year on the Gregorian calendar.

But its all good.

Tumah

Veteran Member
It's tough in the west, when the dominant culture does follow a different calendar. Stat holidays are pretty hard not to notice. On the opposite side of the coin, our religious holidays are hard to observe sometimes because of work. It would be tough to petition the govt. too because the vast majority of religious holiday dates vary from year to year on the Gregorian calendar.

But its all good.

Yeah same here.

Maya3

I only use the western one. I never pay attention to the Indian at all.
But I´m not Indian, nor have I been to India.

Maya

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Happy New Year!

I slept a whole 5 hours before getting up again at 6:30am for a special New Year's Laskhmi Abhishekam at the local Temple.

I thought getting up that early after a late night would be awful, but it was kind of nice being up and out the door that early. :D

:camp:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Happy New Year to all people. The Hindu Calendar needs a correction (Well, don't expect anything ordinary from me). :D

The Hindu Calendar was changed around 400 AD because on the day of vernal equinox the sun rose in the asterism of Areitis (Ashwini) instead of the asterism of Pleiadas (Krittika) as it did in around 2,200 BC (that was the time when Taittiriya Samhita was written). Now the sun rises in the asterism of Piscium (Revati). There was also a time when the sun arose in the asterism of Orion (Mrigashiras). That was around 4,000 BC.Consequently, the year should start in Vaishakha instead of Chaitra; otherwise the Yajnas would go fruitless as in 6,000 BC before Aditi found the Yajna - the spirit of Sacrifice, or the Samvatsara - year. This is because of the precession of equinoxes, which recede with the rate of one month is about 2,000 years or 25,000 years for a full cycle. The beginning of the Aryan year has changed successively from Pausha to Magha to Phalgun to Chaitra. A complete sequence which appears in Vedas, Brahmanas, and Aranyakas, a record of 8,000 years of history.

Last edited:

Stormcry

We orthodox hindus don't believe in auch stupid thing .I have given up to follow such fake wastern calendar.

According to vedic dharma, new year starts from 'gudhipadava' . Our hindu calendar is not based on numbers. It is based on nakshatras and planets and we are proud of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The reason I follow the Hindu calendar and Tamil New Year in particular is that that is the community I've integrated into. It has nothing to do with where I live. There is also the jyothish factor. This Jan. 14 (Makar Sankranti) for, example is auspicious. Jyothish wise, Jan. 1 is just another day.

But yes, there was a huge crowd at the temple this AM, maybe 500 people. But it will be equally large for Tamil New Year too.

So look at it this way. We get two New years. Today is also a secular national holiday in most of India.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
jai jai happy new year to eveyone :namaste

that is how the calender is aranged here , so we just took day off and the opertunity to do some things we dont usualy have time for , some extra reading , and I usualy like to rearange my shrine do something special for the deities , ...

namaskaram :namaste

ratikala

Philomath

Sadhaka
274vJwA.jpg

:)

Maya3

hinduism♥krishna;3619719 said:
We orthodox hindus don't believe in auch stupid thing .I have given up to follow such fake wastern calendar.

What a lovely response when someone wishes you a Happy New Year.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What a lovely response when someone wishes you a Happy New Year.

Maya

The nature of duality, us versus them, is rampant. I honestly don't get where people find such negativity. It must be in some deep 'revenge' chakra, or maybe just general immaturity.:)

Instead of saying, 'Great, I now have 2 New Years to celebrate' it becomes like this.

As traditional Hindu as I am, when I meet someone on the street or in a store that says, 'Merry Christmas', I just return it. It's just the human, kind, reasonable thing to do. Two words, and go on with life. Either that or get all wound up about how pitiful it is that I have to live my days in another culture, stay angry for most of the rest of the day, start a big discussion with my wife..blah blah blah.

It just seems like a stupid choice. Quickly move on, or attach yourself negatively to it.

So Happy New Year. (But I'll wish it again on April 14 too.) :)

BTW, have you ever gone to Times Square to celebrate it?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
hinduism♥krishna,

Though what you are saying may be correct, we have a saying:

"Satyam bruyat, priyam bruyat, ma bruyat satyamapriam,
priyam cha nanritam bruyat, esha dharmo sanatanah."

Blessings. :)