• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hallelujah! I have seen the light!

Well, I tried something new. I tried not praying (in any fashion) about my problems and instead acting upon them. The problems have gone away. I looked deep in my little heart and realized all of my philosophizing was nothing more than a hollow attempt to dodge one thing: I Do Not Believe In Any God. I am an athiest. I feel indescribably free and have been grinning like a loon. Dang it feels nice to not be shackled down by The Invisible Pink Unicorn any longer....

My problems do you mean? They were relatively personal and I was feeling pretty powerless and beseeching the empty sky. I fixed them by getting off of my butt and doing something about them.

Sir Monks

Yeah it is amazing what going to the bathroom and taking a dump will do for you. Just wondering why you were asking God to help you out?

Runt

High five Fra. Moralia! I recently came to a similar conclusion. Sometimes it can be hard to admit to yourself that you do not believe in God when you have been taught that such an opinion is at worst immoral and at best dreary and depressing.

Ceridwen018

*wipes away tear of joy* I am so happy for you! Even happier that you find a bright future and endless possibilities in atheism, rather than the closed door that it is often associated with. I felt the same way as you and still do...ah, to be free!

I feel as tho for the first time I can carry my own weight and simply be myself and live for myself. As for why I prayed.... habit. Prayer in one form or another is common. I actually started thinking about it on combat terms (i am a jarhead...) praying in combat is much less effective than doing something. You can pray all you want, but what you are really hoping for is for a hand to come down out of the sky and make your enemy a bad shot. Odds are he isn't. He's a trained killer, same as you. Therefor shooting him first is much more economical than praying...
Here's my thing: Prayer, Magic, Voodoo; they all want to do the same thing. When someone prays for something, odds are they simply do not know the results. The results are in, they are desperately hoping something will make them favorable. Last time I checked... that doesn't happen. Praying for a lottery ticket scratch off to be a winner involves reprinting all of them and putting them in the right order for you to win. Then making sure no one knows it happened. Seems like a lost of work, and science seems to imply that the universe doesn't work in that fashion. An Answered prayer is a favorable roll of the dice, and an unaswered one is not for you to know why.
It was all too convienient, and all seemed to strive to keep you from really living.

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
I tried not praying (in any fashion) about my problems and instead acting upon them. The problems have gone away.

faith, without action, is not in practice and therefor rightfully called absent.

action without faith is impossible.sorry if you need an explanation.

someone told me yoda said 'there is no try, there is only `do` and `do not`'.he was wrong, you cannot `do` without trying.

congrats, sorta, everyone should get off their ***.

but you/i cannot control everything you/i want to.

--S

lousyskater

welcome to atheism! when you are able to blame yourself for your problems and not some evil being that is most likely not even there, things tend to flow a lot smoother and you are able to help yourself through hard times instead of relying on some invisible being that may not be there.

croak

Trickster
I think I know why Allah didn't help you: it's obvious you could help yourself without any help. ;)

Pah

Uber all member
This seems to be a discussion. Might it not be better located in Comparative Religion?

Bob