• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halachic Implications

Tumah

Veteran Member
Besides for Pesach, I can't really think of anything. I mean, it says that the wheat is pressed into the form, so I guess no problem of pas akum if its not cooked or backed. Although it doesn't look like you're supposed to eat it anyway. They don't really provide a lot of info about the production, so its hard to know what needs to be known about general production things like milk or other non-kosher products added to it.

What else are you thinking?

rosends

In a non-halachic sense I worried about gluten leeching into food but I was worried about whether the plates would be considered cooked in any sense and whether one would ever have to worry about yoshon or the like. Shmitta?

rosends

Back to the question of cooking it, would one take challah fro mthe challah plate? Also, it must be held together with something, but something that decomposes within a month which leads me to think of a plant or animal derivative.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Sorry for the delay my mother arrive from the US.
In a non-halachic sense I worried about gluten leeching into food but I was worried about whether the plates would be considered cooked in any sense and whether one would ever have to worry about yoshon or the like. Shmitta?
It said something about it using pressure to make them. Is that like pressure cooking? I really don't know and they didn't provide a lot of information about how its made.

Back to the question of cooking it, would one take challah fro mthe challah plate? Also, it must be held together with something, but something that decomposes within a month which leads me to think of a plant or animal derivative.
Since its made in a non-Jewish owned factory, its not chayav in challah. I don't think the chiyuv comes on after you own it. And anyway its not being prepared for food, so I don't think it would even need hafrashas challah even if a Jew owned it. The Rambam says that עיסת כלבים is not chayav in challah so long as the shepherd isn't going to eat from it. It can't be any worse than that.

rosends

Sorry for the delay my mother arrive from the US.

It said something about it using pressure to make them. Is that like pressure cooking? I really don't know and they didn't provide a lot of information about how its made.

Since its made in a non-Jewish owned factory, its not chayav in challah. I don't think the chiyuv comes on after you own it. And anyway its not being prepared for food, so I don't think it would even need hafrashas challah even if a Jew owned it. The Rambam says that עיסת כלבים is not chayav in challah so long as the shepherd isn't going to eat from it. It can't be any worse than that.
I was thinking about it and the cooking, but there is another question -- is it edible in whatever form it takes?

Tumah

Veteran Member
I was thinking about it and the cooking, but there is another question -- is it edible in whatever form it takes?
It doesn't sound like its meant to be edible, but its hard to tell from the video because they don't provide a lot of info. Sorry for the delayed response, I had a baby a couple weeks ago and things are still a little off kilter here.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Thanks!

Assuming the question hasn't passed the statute of limitations and I'm still entitled to answer this question, it was a boy.

May you and Mrs. T, with love, wisdom and patience, lead him to the study of Torah, to a life of good deeds, and to the chuppah and a marriage filled with G-d's blessings