• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hadith says yawning is from Shaitan

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
From the linked article:

"The name "Sunni" is derived from the phrase "Ahl al-Sunnah", or "People of the Tradition". The tradition in this case refers to practices based on what the Prophet Muhammad said, did, agreed to or condemned. All Muslims are guided by the Sunnah, but Sunnis stress its primacy."

A completely different Sunnah.

@SugarOcean : Regarding the difference in between Sunni and Shia:

"
One of the major differences between Shia and Sunni is in their definition of Sunnah and Hadith. There is a vital difference in the nature of acceptable Sunnah for both groups.

The Sunnis accept all the ahadith said to be genuine and reported by any of the Prophet’s companions.

The Shias accept only those ahadith that have been reported by or attributed to the Ahl al-Bait or direct descendents of the Prophet,or the supporters of Ali, may Allah be pleased with him."

Ahadith: Sunni Hadith Verses Shia Hadith

I don't think the Shia follow bukahri...

Correction: from the linked article above:

"Bukhari, in particular, is a Sunni scholar who compiled the ahadith, thus forming what we today know as the Sahih Bukhari. The fact is that Shias do not reject Bukhari. There are many ahadith in Sahih Bukhari that have been accepted by Shias, but Shias do not hold that whatever is in Sahih Bukhari is always true."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What could be the reason for this?

Could there be a scientific explanation?

Is there a specific scientific reason found for yawning?

"The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him.""

"The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Allah loves sneezing but dislikes yawning; so if anyone of you sneezes and then praises Allah, every Muslim who hears him (praising Allah) has to say Tashmit to him. But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so if one of you yawns, he should try his best to stop it, for when anyone of you yawns, Satan laughs at him.""

"When one of you yawns, he should keep his mouth shut with the help of his hand, for it is the devil that enters therein."

Search Results - Yawning (page 1) - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)

Yawning actually has numerous health benefits; brain cooling, social empathy, and even ear pressure regulation. Sounds like this hadith is merely considering it as impolite and an indicator of boredom/sleepiness (which is not the only reason we yawn).

Yawning and its physiological significance

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS

"
One of the major differences between Shia and Sunni is in their definition of Sunnah and Hadith. There is a vital difference in the nature of acceptable Sunnah for both groups.

The Sunnis accept all the ahadith said to be genuine and reported by any of the Prophet’s companions.

The Shias accept only those ahadith that have been reported by or attributed to the Ahl al-Bait or direct descendents of the Prophet,or the supporters of Ali, may Allah be pleased with him."

"Bukhari, in particular, is a Sunni scholar who compiled the ahadith, thus forming what we today know as the Sahih Bukhari. The fact is that Shias do not reject Bukhari. There are many ahadith in Sahih Bukhari that have been accepted by Shias, but Shias do not hold that whatever is in Sahih Bukhari is always true."
From my prior link: Sunnis and Shia: Islam's ancient schism
..."All Muslims are guided by the Sunnah, but Sunnis stress its primacy. Shia are also guided by the wisdom of Muhammad's descendants through his son-in-law and cousin, Ali.

Sunni life is guided by four schools of legal thought, each of which strives to develop practical applications of the Sunnah...."

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What could be the reason for this?

Could there be a scientific explanation?

Is there a specific scientific reason found for yawning?

"The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him.""

"The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Allah loves sneezing but dislikes yawning; so if anyone of you sneezes and then praises Allah, every Muslim who hears him (praising Allah) has to say Tashmit to him. But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so if one of you yawns, he should try his best to stop it, for when anyone of you yawns, Satan laughs at him.""

"When one of you yawns, he should keep his mouth shut with the help of his hand, for it is the devil that enters therein."

Search Results - Yawning (page 1) - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)
The greek word for repent includes changing one's breathing, and like many Eastern religions will tell you breathing is important to one's chi.

Wasp

..."All Muslims are guided by the Sunnah, but Sunnis stress its primacy. Shia are also guided by the wisdom of Muhammad's descendants through his son-in-law and cousin, Ali.

Sunni life is guided by four schools of legal thought, each of which strives to develop practical applications of the Sunnah...."
Your link is BBC. You do know it doesn't qualify? Since much of the sources of the Sunnah of the prophet are rejected by Shias and new ones invented to replace the inconvenient ones, it may be concluded they follow a different Sunnah.

Wasp

From the linked article:

"The name "Sunni" is derived from the phrase "Ahl al-Sunnah", or "People of the Tradition". The tradition in this case refers to practices based on what the Prophet Muhammad said, did, agreed to or condemned. All Muslims are guided by the Sunnah, but Sunnis stress its primacy."

"

They accept it like Muslims accept the Bible.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!

Do you deny that the Shia and the Sunni follow different customs ( aka Sunnah )?

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Do you deny that the Shia and the Sunni follow different customs ( aka Sunnah )?
I think I've made two posts that talk about the differences in what they hold about the Sunnah. That should satisfy your question.

Editing to add:
This may help in the question.

https://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/major-difference-between-shia-and-sunni

بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ

All the Muslims agree that Allah is One, Muhammad (S) is His last Prophet, the Qur’an is His last Book for mankind, and that one day

Allah will resurrect all human beings, and they will be questioned about their beliefs and actions. There are, however, disagreements between the two schools in the following two areas:

1. The Caliphate (successorship/leadership) which the Shi’a believe is the right of the Imams of Ahlul-Bayt.

2. The Islamic rule when there is no clear Qur’anic statement, nor is there a Hadith upon which Muslim schools have agreed.

The second issue has root into the first one. The Shi’a bound themselves to refer to Ahlul-Bayt for deriving the Sunnah of Prophet (S). They do this in conformity with the order of Prophet reported in the authentic Sunni and Shi’i collections of traditions beside what the Qur’an attests to their perfect purity.

The disagreement about the caliphate should not be a source of division between the two schools. Muslims agree that the caliphate of Abu Bakr came through election by a limited number of people and was a surprise for all other companions. By limited number, I mean, the majority of the prominent companions of prophet had no knowledge of this election. ‘Ali, Ibn Abbas,

Uthman, Talha, Zubair, Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqqas, Salman al-Farsi, Abu Dharr,

Ammar Ibn Yasir, Miqdad, Abdurrahman Ibn Owf were among those who were not consulted nor even informed of. Even Umar confessed to the fact that the election of Abu Bakr was without consultation of Muslims. (See sahih al-

Bukhari, Arabic-English, Tradition 8.817)

On the other hand, election implies choice and freedom, and that every

Muslim has the right to elect the nominee. Whoever refuses to elect him does not oppose God or His Messenger because neither God nor His Messenger appointed the nominated person by people.

Election, by its nature, does not compel any Muslim to elect a specific nominee. Otherwise, the election would be coercion. This means that the election would lose its own nature and it would be a dictatorial operation.

It is well known that the Prophet said: "There is no validity for any allegiance given by force."

Imam ‘Ali refused to give his allegiance to Abu Bakr for six months. He gave his allegiance to Abu Bakr only after the martyrdom of his wife [Continues @ link: The Major Difference Between the Shi’a and the Sunni )

Conspiracy Against Imam Ali (as)

Last edited:

Wasp

I think I've made two posts that talk about the differences in what they hold about the Sunnah. That should satisfy your question.
I think it's difficult for you to answer the simple question because as usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

Al-Islam is full of misinformation.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As I understand it there is no scientific agreement on what causes yawning. This would be one theory.

The hadith doesn't claim yawning isn't natural. That it "is from Shaitan" doesn't mean Shaitan causes it. It refers to that yawning is like a moment of weakness for man.

Do you honestly need me to provide scientific literature to show you
yawnings use? There is universal consensus via FMRI studies.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
This thread has me yawning.
And yet you're here. And shall be again. Why not take advantage of the time and learn something from your thread visit?
yawning.gif
Bet you yawned. ;)

Wasp

Do you honestly need me to provide scientific literature to show you
yawnings use? There is universal consensus via FMRI studies.
"The question of why we yawn evokes a surprising amount of controversy for what is a relatively minor field of study. We don’t have evidence that can point us to the exact purpose of yawning.

But there are several theories about the purpose of yawning. These include increasing alertness, cooling the brain, and the evolutionary theory of alerting others in your group that you’re too tired to keep watch, and someone else should take over."

Health Check: why do we yawn and why is it contagious?

"All humans yawn. So do most vertebrate animals. Surely it serves some useful function. But what that might be has puzzled scientists throughout the ages.

Yawn theorists split into two camps. Like Gallup, one side says yawning must have a physiological cause, and a physical benefit. The other side says yawning is a form of communication that offers various social benefits."

Why We Yawn

"The study of yawning is anything but boring. It boasts a rich history of theories that go back to Antiquity, but thus far the biological function of yawning remains a mystery."

Why do we yawn? (Everyday Mysteries: Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress)

"A number of hypotheses exist to explain why we yawn, but scientists have yet to come to a consensus about the phenomenon."

Why Do We Yawn?

Still looks like a theory to me.