• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns, Guns, Guns...

Would you feel safer living in the UK with strict gun control laws or the US with open carry laws?

• UK

• US

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Would you feel safer living under strict gun control laws?
Or
Do you feel safer armed knowing your neighbor is armed as well?

Why?

I realize I'm likely to get the same responses from the same people, however for myself, as I get older, I'm starting to feel it might be safer with fewer guns about.

Although whilst doing some searching I came across an article talking about a recent increase in gun crime in the UK. If gun crime does/continues to increase, would that change your mind about feeling safe?

wall-armed-women.jpg

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I deeply respect Americans and their 2nd amendment...but I prefer the European approach.

I believe weapons availability creates a vicious circle. But maybe I think so because I live in Europe, so I have always felt relatively safe knowing that weapons are not available to anyone.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IF there would be no guns/nukes THEN there would be no shooting with guns/nukes

Here in Holland we are not "allowed" to have guns, let alone shoot with guns

Holland feels quite safe; I hope they keep it that way

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering I'm far more likely to perish from the fast moving thousand pound objects of death we somehow thought were a good idea to use for basic transportation, I'm really not concerned about guns.

That said, it's objectively true that the presence of lethal force weapons also makes me far more likely to perish from excessive use of force in response to... well... whatever. To my mind, if you carry a firearm, you must be prepared to kill and murder someone or to commit suicide. Are you? No? Then don't carry one, period. There are other, far less lethal means of self-defense.

epronovost

That's a strange question because there is a more objective approach to the problem. The UK is a safer country than the US with a murder rate 5 times inferior to it and a lower criminality too. There is of course, a lower suicide rate and a lower accidental death rates due to firearms. In other words, how you may feel safe can vary tremendously on your personnal situation or even your cognicience of risks, but it's possible to say that, generally speaking, one of those country is far safer than the other. It's also interesting to note that the UK is also more democratic than the US and offer more civil liberties than too meaning that this security doesn't even come at a lost of personnal liberties.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Or

Why?

I realize I'm likely to get the same responses from the same people, however for myself, as I get older, I'm starting to feel it might be safer with fewer guns about.

Although whilst doing some searching I came across an article talking about a recent increase in gun crime in the UK. If gun crime does/continues to increase, would that change your mind about feeling safe?

wall-armed-women.jpg
If my neighbors were armed, especially the waste of life that lives above me, that would be a pressing reason to for me to get a gun to defend myself against them. It's just logic that more guns doesn't equal safer.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Or

Why?

In the US we have a lot of open spaces so for sport and hunting I don't mind gun's but there should be requirements for purchasing and a limit on to what you can purchase. There is no need for automatic weapons to be in the hands of regular citizens.

What I would like the US to do is similar to how we treat cars.

You need to pass a test to get a license. The test will be on operation and safety.
You need to register the guns yearly.
You need to have insurance to cover accidents.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's a strange question because there is a more objective approach to the problem. The UK is a safer country than the US with a murder rate 5 times inferior to it and a lower criminality too. There is of course, a lower suicide rate and a lower accidental death rates due to firearms. In other words, how you may feel safe can vary tremendously on your personnal situation or even your cognicience of risks, but it's possible to say that, generally speaking, one of those country is far safer than the other. It's also interesting to note that the UK is also more democratic than the US and offer more civil liberties than too meaning that this security doesn't even come at a lost of personnal liberties.
^
This.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
In the US we have a lot of open spaces so for sport and hunting I don't mind gun's but there should be requirements for purchasing and a limit on to what you can purchase. There is no need for automatic weapons to be in the hands of regular citizens.

What I would like the US to do is similar to how we treat cars.

You need to pass a test to get a license. The test will be on operation and safety.
You need to register the guns yearly.
You need to have insurance to cover accidents.
That's how I feel. I'm not against gun rights. People can have guns for sport and hunting, and self-defense. But no one needs an AR-15 or any other combat rifle. But even if we didn't ban those, just enforcing checks and requiring licencing would go a huge way.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
UK.
Incidentally when I travelled to California, we tourists were explicitly told by guides and travel agents not to make any sudden moves if a police officer questioned us. And to always be cautious of potential gun violence. Though I’m happy to report my interactions with the Californians were quite pleasant and friendly. Still feared the cops a bit though.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Or

Why?

wall-armed-women.jpg
I would feel safer personally with a firearm if I was around crazy unpredictable people.

Around sane reasonable folks, having a gun wouldn't be such a pressing issue aside from hunting and hobby interests.

I had a neighbor once who collected classic firearms. It was an amazing display. Including a vintage elephant gun which I could barely lift to look down the ironsights.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm not "anti-gun". I don't support a full band, but I do think many of the rules, regulations, and restrictions are far too lax. There needs to be more requirements regarding training, testing, checks, etc.
I also don't like how fetishistic and cavalier gun culture tends to be, along with this wanky Rambo/cowboy hero fantasy many seem to have with their guns.

Let's just allow only muskets and whatever else was available when the 2A was written. ;)

Street gangs can line up in formation and shoot it out old school.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure exactly how UK laws work, but I'm guessing they might be broadly similar to Australia.

So I'd vote UK.

To be fair, it's hard to vote based on the law. Ive lived in a country where a very high proportion of people (men, at least) were armed much of the time. There was also an ineffectual and corrupt police force. So I travelled armed (at least when alone).

It wasn't a gun, since I'd probably blow my own foot off, but a well-trained Rottweiler and a knife. Kinda the same principal I suppose, with less chance of accidents.

So...were I in the US I would be advocating for a more consistent regime of licensing and more control over superfluous weapon types. I wouldn't (in the short term and mid term) be trying to remove gun ownership.