• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guns.. for the one millionth time

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Violence is a sociological and psychological issue, and demonizing inanimate objects and urinating on the rights and freedoms of those not guilty of such violence is not a solution. There are families who've owned guns for generations, and who've never been guilty of any sort of violent crime, and who live in communities where every household owns a firearms, yet where violent crime is unheard of. Disarming a law abiding citizen in a small, quiet rural community isn't going to magically reduce gun related crime in inner-city ghettos, for example.

Roadrider

I doubt most of the "responsible citizens" are even remotely as responsible as claimed. Everyone thinks they are special. I bet no one ever has said they are too irresponsible to own a gun.

I have worked in the gun industry for years and am fully aware of the ATF requirements, fill me in on your insights

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Guns ownership should be severely controlled, as a matter of course.

Unless the zombie apocalypse begins. THEN all bets are off.

freethinker44

Guns ownership should be severely controlled, as a matter of course.

Unless the zombie apocalypse begins. THEN all bets are off.

Even then, guns should only be used in an absolute emergency, worst case scenario. In a zombie apocalypse, given the choice of a variety of different weapon types, guns would be my last choice.

freethinker44

Then no one should be trusted with anything, ever.

Or there should just be some order of magnitude applied to things. Not all or nothing. Maybe for the higher level of responsibility something requires, a higher degree of scrutiny and restriction should be applied to it. We actually already do this to some degree in society, but for some reason gun ownership is exempt.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What are your thoughts on the private ownership of guns by responsible citizens
proper training and safe handling is a plus. People should be held accountable for their own actions, and not penalizing a group for the actions of of individuals.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
The fact is that one of the real problems behind a lot of gun violence is mental health. So ideally, as a society we'd be addressing that issue - taking mental health seriously and providing easily accessible and affordable care for those who need it. But no one wants to do that, so the alternative is that people have to be treated like children and get their toys taken away.

Then again, even if mental health were addressed, you can't force someone to get help if they don't want it or don't think they have a problem.

I can't really comment on whether responsible people would have guns or not because the whole desire to own a gun is a mystery to me. I simply don't see the need.

Shanti :camp:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Or there should just be some order of magnitude applied to things. Not all or nothing. Maybe for the higher level of responsibility something requires, a higher degree of scrutiny and restriction should be applied to it. We actually already do this to some degree in society, but for some reason gun ownership is exempt.

Not true. That magnitude is already demonstrated by pre-existing licencing, restrictions and regulations (fully automatic weapons are illegal, for example.)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Therefore any sort of notion regarding responsibility is an illusion?
Responsibility is predicated on the assumption that the person exercising that responsibility is reasonable. When a person makes unreasonable decisions (e.g. when an average citizen gets a handgun based on the idea that it will make his family safer), I think we should re-evaluate that assumption.

freethinker44

Not true. That magnitude is already demonstrated by pre-existing licencing, restrictions and regulations (fully automatic weapons are illegal, for example.)

My apologies, I didn't realize that every person, in every state, must be licensed to own and register each and every firearm they own. I was going under the assumption that any homicidal maniac could buy a shotgun at Walmart any time they wanted, no questions asked. My bad.

freethinker44

No way. Training & proper handling will keep one far safer than depending upon luck.

Assuming people are responsible until proven otherwise seems pretty irresponsible to me. I was in the military for 9 years, I have met quite a few people who were well trained to handle weaponsand probably shouldn't own weapons. In fact, private gun ownership is somewhat of a problem for the military. Turns out a lot of military personnel buy weapons after a deployment and accidentally hurt or kill other or themselves. You would think with all the training and practice carrying firearms that there would be fewer problems, when in fact it is worse.