• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Growing concerns that protests could cause spike in coronavirus

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The protests are raising fears of a spike in coronavirus cases - CNN

Cases rising in some areas
Sunday alone saw an increase of almost 20,000 cases nationwide, according to the CNN count compiled with data from John's Hopkins.
In Washington DC, the health department on Monday reported a new peak in cases meaning a delay to moving from phase one of the District's reopening program to a less restrictive phase.
In California, cases jumped 11% in days, from 98,980 reported Wednesday to 110,583 cases Sunday, according to the health department's data.
In the past week, 18 states had an increase of cases of at least 10%; cases decreased in 21 states, and 11 were holding steady, according to a CNN analysis of the seven-day average of new cases between Memorial Day and Sunday.
As of Monday evening, at least 1,809,109 Americans have contracted the virus and 105,099 have died.

Spike in cases expected

With large groups of people out in hoards close together during the protests, Minnesota Governor Walz said he expects a sharp increase in cases of Covid-19 in his state
"I am deeply concerned about a super-spreader type of incident," Walz said. "We're going to see a spike in Covid-19. It's inevitable."
Minnesota has been "seeing an uptick in cases to begin with. Even before these protests started, we saw rising hospitalizations in that state," Gottlieb said.
Officials in New York shared the governor's worry about a potential for rise in coronavirus among protesters.
"I would still wish that everyone would realize that when people gather it's inherently dangerous in the context of this pandemic, and I'm going to keep urging people not to use that approach and if they do they focus on social distancing and wearing face coverings," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Saturday.

Doctors are offering helpful tips to protesters on how to minimize the risk: Doctors have tips to reduce the risk of catching the coronavirus during George Floyd protests

Also, I saw another article that the use of tear gas could increase the risk of respiratory infections and could also contribute to an increase in coronavirus infections: Corrosive Effects of Tear Gas Could Intensify Coronavirus Pandemic

SEATTLE — The billowing clouds of tear gas that the authorities are sending through protest crowds across the United States may increase the risk that the coronavirus could spread through the gatherings.

Along with the immediate pain that can cause watering eyes and burning throats, tear gas may cause damage to people’s lungs and make them more susceptible to getting a respiratory illness, according to studies on the risks of exposure. The gas can also incite coughing, which can further spread the virus from an infected person.

Sven-Eric Jordt, a researcher at Duke University who has studied the effects of tear gas agents, said he had been shocked to watch how much the authorities had turned to the control method in recent days.

“I’m really concerned that this might catalyze a new wave of Covid-19,” Mr. Jordt said. The virus has been linked to more than 106,000 deaths in the United States.

Oklahoma State linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga has coronavirus after attending George Floyd rally

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a very serious concern. From what I have seen, many protesters are not keeping good social distancing. They are seen hugging, and many don't wear masks.

THIS IS DANGEROUS.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
open the economy and relax personal hygiene, masks, social distancing...

start having large rallies where only part of the people are trying to use personal hygiene, masks and distancing...

not sure you can tell which will be a bigger contributor...and who knows, maybe it will be like a miracle and it will all go away...

Wandering Monk

The protests are raising fears of a spike in coronavirus cases - CNN

Doctors are offering helpful tips to protesters on how to minimize the risk: Doctors have tips to reduce the risk of catching the coronavirus during George Floyd protests

Also, I saw another article that the use of tear gas could increase the risk of respiratory infections and could also contribute to an increase in coronavirus infections: Corrosive Effects of Tear Gas Could Intensify Coronavirus Pandemic

Oklahoma State linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga has coronavirus after attending George Floyd rally

That genie is already out of the bottle. Now we wait for the fallout.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is the number one reason why I have not participated in any of the local protests. I live with someone in a high risk category. Police brutality and the pandemic are both very important concerns and I won't say that one is more important than the other, but I understand both those who are willing to go out and those who wish to stay in. I know protest organizers around here have all reminded everyone to observe distancing and wear masks when possible, hopefully it's taken to heart.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Something for Trump to latch onto as an excuse for any further deaths from the virus.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Panic buyers, spring breakers, chruch goers, Memorial Day partiers, reopenings, fewer mask wearers, protesters, when will people learn? Covid hasn't went away, there is no real way to safely do such things now. It doesn't matter, getting together spreads the virus. We had 100 new cases here yesterday. Thats before protest cases have a chance to get counted.

Rational Agnostic

That is the number one reason why I have not participated in any of the local protests. I live with someone in a high risk category. Police brutality and the pandemic are both very important concerns and I won't say that one is more important than the other, but I understand both those who are willing to go out and those who wish to stay in. I know protest organizers around here have all reminded everyone to observe distancing and wear masks when possible, hopefully it's taken to heart.

The biggest concern is the size of the gatherings. One infected person yelling could end up infecting dozens who could each infect dozens more, leading to thousands of new cases. Masks aren't 100% protective. Large gatherings with masks are more dangerous than small gatherings without masks by far.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think it's a real problem and will cause a spike in illness. But there's nothing we can do at this point outside of protecting ourselves and hoping for the best.

At least outdoors the danger is less than indoors. When trump holds the trump party national convention indoors with a horde of his followers and no masks, that will cause an immense spike in illness unless something changes between now and then.