• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great covers..

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Cat Stevens' cover of Another Saturday Night is the definitve version in my mind. I think the original was by Sam Cooke.

LOL - I grew up listening to both versions. In what has to be as good a case of sitting on the fence, I have to say that I think both versions are excellent. Cat Stevens had the advantage of better backing music, but Sam Cooke is one of the all time classic voices in Soul. He is on a par with Marvin Gaye, and very few others.

I just discovered a really good cover of Janis Ian's At Seventeen. It is done by a girl from New Zealand, by the name of Amber Claire. I don't know many songs that feature an accordian, but this cover does, and the girl has a really sweet voice: YouTube - At 17 - Amber Claire

PS - the girl playing the bass guitar is pretty easy on the eyes, too.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I just discovered a really good cover of Janis Ian's At Seventeen. It is done by a girl from New Zealand, by the name of Amber Claire. I don't know many songs that feature an accordian, but this cover does, and the girl has a really sweet voice: YouTube - At 17 - Amber Claire

PS - the girl playing the bass guitar is pretty easy on the eyes, too.

So...
For the people who just want to see how pretty easy she really is on the eyes.. You can easilly skip the first 2 minutes as she won't be shown anyway.. :D

Hé, I am at work, no sound here. At least I did see the video!

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
So...
For the people who just want to see how pretty easy she really is on the eyes.. You can easilly skip the first 2 minutes as she won't be shown anyway.. :D

Hé, I am at work, no sound here. At least I did see the video!

What did you think, Bouncing Ball? Was I right about the bass player?

When you get home, try it again - I want to know what you think of the song, too.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
What did you think, Bouncing Ball? Was I right about the bass player?

When you get home, try it again - I want to know what you think of the song, too.
Well, I am a bit biased here.. She looks like a friend of mine. And she is an adorable person! But I must add that she is not my taste.
Also, you don't to see her enough in the movie..

About the song, I don't know the original. This version was performed pretty well, although again, not my taste :p

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Well, I am a bit biased here.. She looks like a friend of mine. And she is an adorable person! But I must add that she is not my taste.
Also, you don't to see her enough in the movie..

About the song, I don't know the original. This version was performed pretty well, although again, not my taste :p

LOL - fair enough. I know that most of you are a lot younger than I am. It just goes with the territory. Thanks for giving it a listen, anyway.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Can I get anyone to listen to those Cyndi Lauper covers? Especially any Cyndi Lauper haters?

Also Dionne Warwick made a single soul album in her life, Soulful, including excellent covers of "People Get Ready," and "Do Right Woman Do Right Man." Obscure, but wonderful.

IMO Aretha Franklin is the greatest singer now living, or who has ever lived, or who ever will live, in this universe or any mathematically possible universe, and here is a list of just some of her amazing covers:

Natural Woman (makes Carol King sound like a baby)
Respect (complete transformation of previously obscure song)
Eleanor Rigby, Hey Jude, Let it Be... oh yeah
Bridge Over Troubled Water (gospelized)
Spanish Harlem (love that song her version)
Amazing Grace (hello)
Young, Gifted and Black
People Get Ready
I Say a Little Prayer (take that, Dionne Warwick)
Look to the Rainbow (Have you heard it?)
Jumpin Jack Flash

...well, you get the idea.

And that's not mentioning Nessun Dorma. Please, I beg of you, stop whatever you are doing, blow your mind for 1 minute and 5 seconds, and then contradict me if you dare:

YouTube - Aretha Franklin - Nessun Dorma @ 1998 Grammy's

I won't include any Sam Cooke covers because, as previously mentioned, Sam Cooke is God.

Last edited:

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Can I get anyone to listen to those Cyndi Lauper covers? Especially any Cyndi Lauper haters?

I watched the Cyndi Lauper video last night, after you had posted it. I'm a fan, but I didn't really think her version was a killer. I really liked the brass that was backing her up, and she has a great stage presence (taking off her shoes and getting up on the piano).

To me, the quintessential Lauper is when she was doing songs like She Bop. She has a really unique voice, and there are some songs that are right in her sweet spot.

FWIW - I do like the way she looks. I realize that back in the 80's she was playing to the early MTV audience, but she really is much better now (musically and visually). At least, she is to me.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Harry Connick, Jr. on "We Are in Love."
Beatles -- "Mr. Postman"
Pet Shop Boys -- "Always on my Mind"

Jackytar

Ex-member
Some good tunes mentioned here - mostly new versions to me. I especially liked that all-girl Japanese punk rock band.

Here's mine:

Cake - War Pigs (Black Sabbath) ---> youtube

Jackytar

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I would have to say that I prefer Metallica's cover of "Die, Die My Darling" originally by Misfits, over the original. Although Misfits' version is awesome as well. Metallica was able to add the darker touch that the song needed.

Jackytar

Ex-member
I've always been more fond of the Indigo Girls verison of Romeo and Juliet as opposed to Dire Straits.

Indigo Girls
YouTube - romeo and juliet - indigo girls

Dire Straits
YouTube - Mark Knopfler - Romeo and Juliet - Acoustic live version

I liked that, but I have to stick with the original. And I have a good reason. Every place I've looked has the lyric as "All I do is keep the beat, the bad company." As a Dire Straits fan I've listened to this song quite a bit and have always thought the lyric is "All I do is keep the beat, the band company". The Indigo Girls cover actually puts emphasis on and repeats the word "bad". Arrggg! To me the original sounds like "band" and while both make sense in the context of the other lyrics, "band" makes more sense to me. But hey, I think The Killers got it right! I think.:)

Jackytar

Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics)
Avenged Sevenfold - Walk (Pantera)
Marilyn Manson - This Is Halloween (The Nightmare Before Christmas, Danny Elfman?)
The Network - Teenagers From Mars (Misfits)
My Chemical Romance - Astro Zombies (Misfits)
Avenged Sevenfold - Flash Of The Blade (Iron Maiden)

That's all the good covers I can think of...

.....And the worst cover ever:
Avril Lavigne - Chop Suey (System Of A Down)

I'm sure many people agree with me on the Avril Lavigne one...

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Avenged Sevenfold - Walk (Pantera)

Avenged Sevenfold - Flash Of The Blade (Iron Maiden)

If i was Pantera or Iron Maiden i'd have sued a7x for producing such rubbish. If you're going to cover a song, at least make it worthy. The singer has nothing on Bruce Dickinson, that cover of flash of the blade was terrible, and walk.... who hasn't covered that song?

I'm sure many people agree with me on the Avril Lavigne one...

Her cover of fuel by metallica was also pathetic.