• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gravity and the Expanding Universe

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'll just stick with your advice and refute your arguments with a big ol' "so what?" Just kidding. :)

Seriously, I think we've run this thread at least as dry as the Sahara. Probably a while ago. It's always a good thing to make one's self think and argue with logic and reason. You've made a good case from the scientific point of view. I'd be a fool to deny that. But I personally have seen enough evidence of scriptural reliability that I'll stake my claim therein.

I'll be around, so undoubtedly we'll get into some other discussion down the road. Take care...
People believe scripture only because they want to believe it. It is hardly reliable. When asked how you would test your beliefs you have no answer. That is not a good sign. That indicates that one has no evidence for one's beliefs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, here's what God says about humans:

Ps 8:4-5,

4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.​

That word angels in verse 5 is the Hebrew word elohiym which means "supreme ones" "gods." In other words humans are just a tad below being a god. Apes, while wonderful creatures in themselves, are not.

Of the 2,600 times "elohiym" is used, Ps 8:5 is the only place where it is translated "angels." Every other time it is translated as "god" or "lord." I guess the KJV translators, in an effort at humility, just couldn't bring themselves to say man is just below god. Bias like that is not infrequent, but with a bit of work one can always get back to God's intended meaning. Besides, there are several other Bible versions where the translators stayed with the Hebrew text and translated it correctly as "gods."

In any case, I guess you might find better company with those KJV translators. Me? I'll stick with the scriptures and know I'm just a tad below the creator of the universe.

In reading this post, I trust you understand exactly what the word "god" (elohiym) means in the Hebrew scriptures. The scriptures say there are many gods (1 Cor 8:5), or might ones. However, there is only one Yahweh, the god who created everything and gave us the scriptures. It is not at all unusual for people to confuse tradition with the scriptures. God gave us the scriptures, man gave us tradition.

Now, I'd change my whole world view if you could get an orangutan to join our conversation with some intelligent input.
No, that is what the Bible says. As a Christian it is an error to treat the Bible as God. Not even the Bible makes the error of claiming that it is inerrant. And like it or not you are still an ape. Your post needs some rewording. For you it is an ego trip to hold the beliefs that you have. It is only self gratification as you indicated in this post. In other words, you are practicing mental masturbation.

rrobs

No, that is what the Bible says. As a Christian it is an error to treat the Bible as God. Not even the Bible makes the error of claiming that it is inerrant. And like it or not you are still an ape. Your post needs some rewording. For you it is an ego trip to hold the beliefs that you have. It is only self gratification as you indicated in this post. In other words, you are practicing mental masturbation.
So much for trying to be a nice guy with you. Let me try this; you're a bigoted idiot.

There, now we're talking the same language.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So much for trying to be a nice guy with you. Let me try this; you're a bigoted idiot.

There, now we're talking the same language.
No, not at all. You should not be angry just because you cannot defend either your false beliefs in science or the bad theology of biblical literalism. Christianity can work as a religion if people do not make the same errors that literalists do.

Bear Wild

For some odd reason he does not like that answer.

You are right about that. After all the early nation of the Jew's had such incredible technology and scientific knowledge that we are not aware of. It is like ancient aliens story. Remember it as ancient aliens that created the pyramids. The original nomads that became the nation of Israel hand knowledge beyond what we have today. How condiment.

Bear Wild

Bear Wild

So now you are giving a self description of yourself. This is good for you to recognize. Maybe this is a starting place for you to really learn.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is that what god told you or just your imagination?

It is rather amazing how Christians will go out of their way to defend a clearly evil God and try to call him a God of love. One of the "strengths" of the Bible appears to be in convincing people that they are worthless and deserve the worst treatment possible. Once they buy this lie even the slightest hint at redemption seems to be a gift that they are not worthy of. They will do almost any act to earn the redemption and excuse the bad acts of their God because they are afraid of losing that false promise.