• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Government by Artificial Intelligence?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why not listen to wise men/women instead of relying on a "alive" computer?
I honestly do not understand the fascination of computer and AI :confused:
The computer itself could listen to what wise men/women have to say

It could better understand their wisdom than humans would, and be programmed to pay more attention to what they say than they dot to less wise people

The testimony of wise men/women is I think one thing

Taking that testimony into account when solving a problem is I think another. Also, the testimony of wise people may conflict, and require some degree of judgment.

And, at the end of the day, government by AI is simply problem solving

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The computer itself could listen to what wise men/women have to say

It could better understand their wisdom than humans would, and be programmed to pay more attention to what they say than they dot to less wise people

The testimony of wise men/women is I think one thing

Taking that testimony into account when solving a problem is I think another. Also, the testimony of wise people may conflict, and require some degree of judgment.

And, at the end of the day, government by AI is simply problem solving
I hope I am dead before that happens, it sounds horrible to live like that

ecco

Veteran Member
However, given the correct parameters and free of religious dogma and emotion then an AI would have little problem solving such a problem?
What would "the correct parameters" be? Who decides what is correct?

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?​

Heyo

Veteran Member
Question: Should human affairs be governed by Artificial Intelligence?
[...]
But of course, its decisions would need to be signed-off by an organisation of humans, just in case...
I thought the idea was to eliminate the problem?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I am not designing the AI or running the world, ask someone who knows... Oh right

Tambourine

AI is created by human programmers, and tends to share their faults and prejudices.

Further, the data it would rely on would be supplied by humans, and the data would share these people's faults and prejudices.

So on two levels, AI would be influenced by human faults and prejudices.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Gotta love the Moody's.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
AI is created by human programmers, and tends to share their faults and prejudices.

Further, the data it would rely on would be supplied by humans, and the data would share these people's faults and prejudices.

So on two levels, AI would be influenced by human faults and prejudices.

I'm not sure that is true. We are discussing something that most of us will have little expertise in (I did dabble in expert systems some decades back, which were allied to the development of AI, but simple in comparison, and have tried to follow the progress of AI), such that one has to rely on those who are the best in their field for predictions. According to some of these, it is highly likely that advanced AI will be designed by the previous most advanced AI, and as such, might be out of our hands and possibly our understanding. The days of garbage in, garbage out would be long gone by then when such an AI would be able to gather as much information as necessary, and from wherever needed.

We do though have the problem of any aims of such advanced systems coinciding with what would be best for humans, especially if such conflicted with what was better for the planet or for the AI itself. Which then raises the question of how much autonomy one gives such AI, and trust, but where such might be out of our hands if we wanted the best answers. Constraining such systems might seem as the only way but we can't be sure that such would happen. And all this plays out against the competition between nations let alone the world views (including religions) that might shape such AI systems. One question to end with - what might happens if we get different AI systems (developed by different nations perhaps) with different overall aims?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It is worth bearing in mind that a large proportion of our lives are run by AI right now.

From utility bills to internet searches from shopping to medical procedures, from traffic management to security, from agriculture to warehousing, from... to ...
And look at the grief it has caused people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can you give an example because i hardly notice it
There were far more mistakes when accounts, packaging, logistics etc was all done by humans
Try getting through to a live talking human being for exchanges or refunds for example.

Another one is the court system sentencing ai. Its been touted as the reason why so many blacks and minorities disapportionly serve lengthy and draconian stays in federal and state prisons.