• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Staff Fired for Protesting Israel Ties

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
1713450201785.jpeg
Google has fired 28 employees over their participation in a 10-hour sit-in at the search giant’s offices in New York and Sunnyvale, California, to protest the company’s business ties with the Israel government, The Post has learned.

The pro-Palestinian staffers — who wore traditional Arab headscarves as they stormed and occupied the office of a top executive in California on Tuesday — were terminated late Wednesday after an internal investigation, Google vice president of global security Chris Rackow said in a companywide memo.

“They took over office spaces, defaced our property, and physically impeded the work of other Googlers,” Rackow wrote in the memo obtained by The Post. “Their behavior was unacceptable, extremely disruptive, and made co-workers feel threatened.”

Google fires 28 employees involved in sit-in protest over $1.2B Israel contract

Do you think Google was right for firing them?

esmith

Veteran Member
I have no problem with people voicing their opinion; however if you feel strongly enough about your opinion then in this case they should have quit their job.

libre

Skylark
I dislike the ambiguousness of the memo indicating that the protesters 'made co-workers feel threatened.'

I understand that there may be liability reasons for not indicating whether the protestors actually did engage in threats for Google, but the reality is that many Americans 'feel threatened' by anyone expressing solidarity with Palestinians.

libre

Skylark
I'd say I generally support protests relating to AI development and use by/for military across the board, but there is particular concern for Israel right now for obvious reasons.

HonestJoe

On the face of it, it doesn't sound unreasonable. In fact, I'd suggest it'd be stranger for the employees to engage in such a determined protest against the company but then turn up to work the next day as if nothing happened.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On the face of it, it doesn't sound unreasonable. In fact, I'd suggest it'd be stranger for the employees to engage in such a determined protest against the company but then turn up to work the next day as if nothing happened.
It's good that Google is receiving loud
feedback for its support of genocide.
**** Google.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Google has fired 28 employees over their participation in a 10-hour sit-in at the search giant’s offices in New York and Sunnyvale, California, to protest the company’s business ties with the Israel government, The Post has learned.

The pro-Palestinian staffers — who wore traditional Arab headscarves as they stormed and occupied the office of a top executive in California on Tuesday — were terminated late Wednesday after an internal investigation, Google vice president of global security Chris Rackow said in a companywide memo.

“They took over office spaces, defaced our property, and physically impeded the work of other Googlers,” Rackow wrote in the memo obtained by The Post. “Their behavior was unacceptable, extremely disruptive, and made co-workers feel threatened.”

Yes I do.
And for the record
They were not fired for their stance on the conflict.
They were fired because they took over office spaces, defaced our property, and physically impeded the work of other Googlers.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'd fire them myself.

Defacing property? Not allowing others to work? Not working themselves?

Yea, I'd say definitely justified grounds for termination of employment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My hat (were I wearing one) is off to them
for calling attention to Google's support
for apartheid & genocide.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
For storming and occupying an executive's office? Its an opportunity to fire when you are already trying to shed workers. You let them go, and its their own fault. Your only liability is your unemployment insurance. They could have stayed, protested continually in some other way. They could have put in notice and protested. Instead they chose to storm an office and get fired. Google wins.

Another way to protest is to write letters. That is sometimes effective.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
More workers fired.

Google fires more workers after CEO says workplace isn’t for politics​

The workplace shouldn't be for enabling apartheid & genocide either.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have no problem with people voicing their opinion; however if you feel strongly enough about your opinion then in this case they should have quit their job.
Seems to me that this was their way of quitting and bringing attention to an important issue at the same time.