• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Gets "Woke", & Wants PC Language

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Despite Google's advice, I'll continue to use "landlord".

Google goes woke! Search engine launches 'inclusive language' function | Daily Mail Online
Excerpted....
Google has launched an ‘inclusive language’ function designed to avoid the use of politically incorrect words.

Users typing ‘landlord’ will see a warning that it ‘may not be inclusive to all readers’ with the suggestion they should try ‘property owner’ or ‘proprietor’ instead.

The word ‘humankind’ is a suggested alternative to what the online giant apparently sees as the controversial term ‘mankind’.

Gender specific terms such as ‘policemen’ or ‘housewife’ should also be replaced by ‘police officers’ and ‘stay-at-home spouse’, according to the new Google Document style programme. It is now being rolled out to what the firm calls enterprise-level users.

Many computer document systems use methods to correct spelling and grammar.

But nudging users towards woke language is being seen by critics as a step too far. Tests on the system have also thrown up major flaws.

A transcribed interview with ex Klu Klux Klan leader David Duke, in which he uses offensive racial slurs and talks about hunting black people, prompted no warnings.

But it suggested President John F Kennedy’s inaugural address should say ‘for all humankind’ instead of ‘for all mankind’.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Google goes woke! Search engine launches 'inclusive language' function | Daily Mail Online
Excerpted....
Google has launched an ‘inclusive language’ function designed to avoid the use of politically incorrect words.

Users typing ‘landlord’ will see a warning that it ‘may not be inclusive to all readers’ with the suggestion they should try ‘property owner’ or ‘proprietor’ instead.

The word ‘humankind’ is a suggested alternative to what the online giant apparently sees as the controversial term ‘mankind’.

Gender specific terms such as ‘policemen’ or ‘housewife’ should also be replaced by ‘police officers’ and ‘stay-at-home spouse’, according to the new Google Document style programme. It is now being rolled out to what the firm calls enterprise-level users.

But nudging users towards woke language is being seen by critics as a step too far. Tests on the system have also thrown up major flaws.

A transcribed interview with ex Klu Klux Klan leader David Duke, in which he uses offensive racial slurs and talks about hunting black people, prompted no warnings.

But it suggested President John F Kennedy’s inaugural address should say ‘for all humankind’ instead of ‘for all mankind’.
As ye wish m’lord.

Orbit

I'm a planet
What's wrong with inclusive language? Every person I've ever seen object to "woke" really just wants the freedom to be rude. Human society has norms for a reason, and norms change as culture changes. Don't be a linguistic Luddite.

Suave

Simulated character

Excerpted....

I sold off my share of Google /Alphabet long ago and bought Twitter shares I am grateful are to be bought by Elon Musk. I have realized most people are now turned off by Woke-ism. I am so looking forward to a non politically correct, open algorithm, unrestricted content, censorship-free, editable, inclusive Muskian Twitter!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Excerpted....

:( My Google ain't woke yet:
landlord - Google Search

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ooh! I see the problem. Google ain't woke yet. I don't rise in importance to the level of big business. From the article:

" It is now being rolled out to what the firm calls enterprise-level users."

They are probably waiting for some feedback. If modern big businesses balk at the changes odds are that they could drive every day users away from Google.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Even if the proprietor :) is a landlady?

Maybe all male references such as "landlord" should automatically be replaced by "landlady" and so forth.

And God said, Let us make woman in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created woman in her own image, in the image of God created she her; female and male created her them.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What's wrong with inclusive language? Every person I've ever seen object to "woke" really just wants the freedom to be rude. Human society has norms for a reason, and norms change as culture changes. Don't be a linguistic Luddite.
My problem is corporate woke isn't woke. It's preformative for the sake of soliciting money from equally preformative neoliberals who want to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Google isn't the good guy, looking to enact social progressivism.

Like the whole DeSantis vs Disney thing. All the 'lefties' rooting for Disney when all Disney did was make the anemic gesture of not funding LGBT hate groups. So DeSantis is using this as an easy ammunition to rally his base around the homophobia they will not name.

I'm all for examining language and culture but tired of leftists praising empty gestures from corporations and tired of right wing apologists framing Google or Disney as 'left' rather than the soulless money hoarders taking whatever spaghetti sticks to the walls.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
For me to form a solid judgment on whether or not this is a step in the right direction, I would need to see evidence concerning its effectiveness in promoting understanding and social awareness.

I think the goal behind this is good, but I'm not sure that having a mega-corporation push users to write in specific language--beyond discouraging usage of slurs and other explicitly problematic language--is the best way to accomplish progress.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Maybe all male references such as "landlord" should automatically be replaced by "landlady" and so forth.

And God said, Let us make woman in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created woman in her own image, in the image of God created she her; female and male created her them.

And God said, Let us make woman... and let them have dominion over... every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth... oh yes, i almost forgot, and men

Sounds good to me

74x12

Excerpted....

I'm not sure what the term "landlord" has to do with offending anybody? Does it offend tenants? Absurd.

At some point people are going to have to stop trusting the goo ghoul as a good source of information on many topics. They're censoring information and trying to sanitize search results. Is that the kind of control that people would like to cede over to a search engine? I mean google is supposed to have one primary job. To find websites based on your search parameters. Now they're manipulating the results based on their own political and social views. Essentially they're trying to shape the online universe after an image of their own making. I find that to be manipulative and a serious breach of trust.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My problem is corporate woke isn't woke. It's preformative for the sake of soliciting money from equally preformative neoliberals who want to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Google isn't the good guy, looking to enact social progressivism.

Like the whole DeSantis vs Disney thing. All the 'lefties' rooting for Disney when all Disney did was make the anemic gesture of not funding LGBT hate groups. So DeSantis is using this as an easy ammunition to rally his base around the homophobia they will not name.

I'm all for examining language and culture but tired of leftists praising empty gestures from corporations and tired of right wing apologists framing Google or Disney as 'left' rather than the soulless money hoarders taking whatever spaghetti sticks to the walls.
Nothing else to add and I couldn't have said it better.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There's probably a fat chick with blue hair and wearing oversized thick framed green glasses with a nose ring and sporting tattoos on her entire arms and neck making the decisions on what words to use.

There, I said it.

Sue me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Excerpted....

Sorry, way, way, way too old -- not gonna change the way I talk for anybody (or anything, not even Google).

Orbit

I'm a planet
There's probably a fat chick with blue hair and wearing oversized thick framed green glasses with a nose ring and sporting tattoos on her entire arms and neck making the decisions on what words to use.

There, I said it.

Sue me.

This says more about you than it does about her.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When I had my store I had a landlady that owned the property. Never used that in a derogatory fashion. There may be such a thing as "too woke". As the French say "Vive le difference" (sorry, can't get the accent over the second e in dfference).

tytlyf

Not Religious
I don't see the problem.

• Embracing inclusive language provides the opportunity for each of us to develop into better communicators while caring for those with whom we communicate (Seiter, 2018).
  • Language has a unique ability to build bridges; it can help all feel less limited by their sociodemographic characteristics and respective philosophies.
  • Language can serve as an equalizer among individuals, resulting in a more equitable distribution of work, which is a game-changer for streamlining costs and social mobility.
  • Inclusive language has the potential to increase individual and team objectivity, leading to stronger decision-making and more goal-oriented perceptions.
  • Language can be personally valuable in the present climate in which one wants to avoid lawsuits, career stagnation, or even dismissal.

Words Matter: How Language Influences Inclusion