• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good News

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Because it's viewed as the good news of Salvation. It's really only the New Testament that's called that because "gospel" means "good news".

Sees

Dragonslayer
Good news of realizing you were already saved before you knew there was something to be saved from. Early Christianity the god-spell was the Kingdom of Heaven is already here in your hearts. Something at least some Jews would understand... salvation of Christianity that won survival and became prolific isn't even related one bit to Jewish understanding. It's more related to Greek spiritual thought and mystery traditions around the Mediterranean and surrounding regions of the time.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why is the Bible often referred to as good news from God?

Because people tend to be self-centered, I guess. The Bible describes SOME people being saved but most not. It seems to me that this would only be "good news" to someone with a mentality of "I've got mine, screw everyone else."

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Christian writings, as packaged as a whole, seem to be negative to me, not positive.

The older writings have a lot of violence in them, just as much if not more by the protagonists compared to the antagonists. Some really genocidal stuff in there.

Then later there's this idea that the world is ending (although they seemed to be under the impression that it was happening shortly, 2000 years ago), and if you don't agree with this new religion before the world ends, you suffer, so you better agree with it. :areyoucra

Basically it's like, before you present the good news, you have to make them believe the bad news, because the good news itself is still terrible compared to the status quo of there not being any of this news to begin with.

starlite

Texasgirl
Early Christianity the god-spell was the Kingdom of Heaven is already here in your hearts.

Thank you for your perspective...interesting. But, according to Luke 1:31,32 Jesus would be the appointed as ruler of God's Kingdom...so wouldn't that indicate that it isn't something in our hearts? Also, Daniel 2:44 indicates that God's Kingdom will crush and put an end to all other kingdoms...can that be done in our hearts?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for your perspective...interesting. But, according to Luke 1:31,32 Jesus would be the appointed as ruler of God's Kingdom...so wouldn't that indicate that it isn't something in our hearts?

Actually, it says this:

Luke 1:31-32
New International Version (NIV)
31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,

Also, Daniel 2:44 indicates that God's Kingdom will crush and put an end to all other kingdoms...can that be done in our hearts?

Sure. It just means that once someone's gotten a glimpse of "the Kingdom" they'll no longer be subservient to whatever they'd heretofore been subservient to.