• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, What is it?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Your answers or guesses to these questions is as good as mine or anyone’s. People have made assumptions about God throughout time, like ... god is a carved image, a king, or lightening and thunder, or an impersonal force, or oneself, and the list goes on.
I believe no one could possibly know a Being like God unless this Being chose to reveal information about Himself, which I believe He did through the chosen people of Israel, the prophets, the written word of the biblical scriptures, and ultimately in the Person of Jesus Christ.

Jesus was a man and the Israelites are humans. God is not a respecter of person, nor does it show favoritism

Deuteronomy 10:17

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everything is relationship. Even love and spirit.
It doesn't. It can be as simple as knowing you are a part of everything. I just tend to be more poetic.
Because it is a word we use to describe everything.
God is LOVE.
A God in simplest terms, is the eternal summation of all that is created.
God is LOVE.

In the Abrahamic, Aztec, Norse, Greek, Roman, &c religions God is a Personage; a thing; a discrete entity. He has an imagined bodily form. God has intention, He does things, He has emotions, likes, dislikes, &c.

Descriptions of the numinous, our relationship to or experience of the numinous; of feelings; of intangible abstractions, don't convey an actual, measurable being.

Poetic musings will not communicate the Western concept of God to anyone entirely unfamiliar with the idea. They do not explain or describe God.[/QUOTE]

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Those who debate are rarely interested in knowledge
So how do those interested in knowledge discuss things? How do they communicate? Knowledge is an accumulation of facts, discoveries and tests. Wouldn't peer review qualify as debate? Aren't scientific conferences debates?

Maximus

the Confessor
What is god? how is it observed? realized? is it necessarily a who? is it limited to space? time?

God is obviously not just some 'thing', one other contingent being among other contingent beings. He is the source of all being.

Much wisdom here (he adheres to the Eastern Orthodox faith):

Ayjaydee

So how do those interested in knowledge discuss things? How do they communicate? Knowledge is an accumulation of facts, discoveries and tests. Wouldn't peer review qualify as debate? Aren't scientific conferences debates?
No

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
In the Abrahamic, Aztec, Norse, Greek, Roman, &c religions God is a Personage; a thing; a discrete entity. He has an imagined bodily form. God has intention, He does things, He has emotions, likes, dislikes, &c.

Descriptions of the numinous, our relationship to or experience of the numinous; of feelings; of intangible abstractions, don't convey an actual, measurable being.

Poetic musings will not communicate the Western concept of God to anyone entirely unfamiliar with the idea. They do not explain or describe God.

Is the point of the thread to communicate the Western concept of God? Or of God as a personage?

Since there are many differing views of God--even among those cultures that view God as a personage--shouldn't it be useful to muse poetically and attempt an understanding of God that can be universal and personal?

dfnj

What is god? how is it observed? realized? is it necessarily a who? is it limited to space? time?

For over 300 years now science has been dispelling silly superstitions as nonsense. This has taken its toll with regards to the popularity of religion and belief in God. It's not that big of an interpolation to just assume the existence of God is just another silly superstition.

However, I will try to prove to you God exists and what God is. Here is my proof for the existence of God: God is just a word. What the word God means is defined by every sentence it has ever been used in. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. The word God exists right here in this sentence. This paragraph is your evidence for the existence of God.

It is useful to categorize the different types of sentences people use the word God in as way of defining what the word God means. One of the more interesting categories I find people using the word God is the idea God is the alpha and the omega. God is a word that represents every possible thing that has occurred and everything that will ever occur.

I'd like to put a new wrinkle on this alpha-omega idea and state God is a word that means everything that has ever happened along with every possible possibility realized in the future. God is the alpha and omega of thought. No other word represents the sum of all the meanings of every other word, thought, idea, experience, and imagination that is possible. God represents every possible thought that has occurred, can occur, and will ever occur. God also represents the idea of everything beyond our comprehension as well.

So there you have it. God exists and the evidence is right here in this sentence. You have transcendence and immanence of language semantics. God is the source of all our thoughts (immanence-alpha). And at the same time God is everything outside of our thoughts (transcendence-omega).

God is an envelop of meaning wrapped around our minds. Ideas sprout and grow like plants in our minds. God is the seed and the boundary of the garden. God is the physical boundary between our minds and reality.

Ayjaydee

For over 300 years now science has been dispelling silly superstitions as nonsense. This has taken its toll with regards to the popularity of religion and belief in God. It's not that big of an interpolation to just assume the existence of God is just another silly superstition.

However, I will try to prove to you God exists and what God is. Here is my proof for the existence of God: God is just a word. What the word God means is defined by every sentence it has ever been used in. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. The word God exists right here in this sentence. This paragraph is your evidence for the existence of God.

It is useful to categorize the different types of sentences people use the word God in as way of defining what the word God means. One of the more interesting categories I find people using the word God is the idea God is the alpha and the omega. God is a word that represents every possible thing that has occurred and everything that will ever occur.

I'd like to put a new wrinkle on this alpha-omega idea and state God is a word that means everything that has ever happened along with every possible possibility realized in the future. God is the alpha and omega of thought. No other word represents the sum of all the meanings of every other word, thought, idea, experience, and imagination that is possible. God represents every possible thought that has occurred, can occur, and will ever occur. God also represents the idea of everything beyond our comprehension as well.

So there you have it. God exists and the evidence is right here in this sentence. You have transcendence and immanence of language semantics. God is the source of all our thoughts (immanence-alpha). And at the same time God is everything outside of our thoughts (transcendence-omega).

God is an envelop of meaning wrapped around our minds. Ideas sprout and grow like plants in our minds. God is the seed and the boundary of the garden. God is the physical boundary between our minds and reality.
A word for something is not the thing. Unicorns dont exist

SaintUriah

Hmm. I never heard it put that way before. How would you define universe

Maybe holy Spirit Who created the universe by order of the Lord becouse He can

universe Built on pressure

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Poetic musings will not communicate the Western concept of God to anyone entirely unfamiliar with the idea. They do not explain or describe God.

The Western concept of God is something of a "You keep using that word." To borrow an expression from Princess Bride.

What do we actually know about the Hebraic God (as opposed to many tribal gods of their rivals which were typically fixed to a location, and as opposed to Roman gods which were split into concept)?

We know this God takes forms, some of which are plant forms and some which are human. We know this God appears to his people, despite them getting pushed from place to place, that he follows them on their journey. We know this God is not a single mortal person, and can speak through mortals. We know this God is most expressed when people are together. "God is love," check. "Everything is relationship, " check. We know that all people (or at least all followers) are described as the Body of Christ. Pretty much part of everything, so everyone who said that, check. Then there's what I said about God basically being more real than the rest of us.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is the point of the thread to communicate the Western concept of God? Or of God as a personage?

Since there are many differing views of God--even among those cultures that view God as a personage--shouldn't it be useful to muse poetically and attempt an understanding of God that can be universal and personal?
Those cultures with a different concept of The Sacred have terms for it other than God or cognates thereof. Hinduism, for example, has both gods and the abstract, intangible concept of Brahman

The OP specifies God, specifying a powerful supernatural personage.