• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, What is it?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Hmm. I never heard it put that way before. How would you define universe?

The "not-Self" and "Self" defining each other. Every "thing" and no "thing" without definition. Christ on the cross, Buddha under the tree, Odin on Ygdrassil.

Plainly, it is the environment the individual finds itself in--which it is inextricably a part of.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe what the Bible tells and according to it, God is spirit and love.
But what does this mean? This tells us practically nothing about god as a personage.
I think He can be observed from those who are one with Him.
But love and spirit are insubstantial. What is it that would be observed?
God is the relationship of the individual to the Universe.
God is a relationship? God as natural law or mathematical principle? That's even less substantial than love and spirit.
The inverse square law is a relationship.

A newly arrived Martian, told that god is a relationship, would have no idea about how god is incorporated into human history and culture. He'd have no inkling that god is conceived of as a conscious being or that it has the ability to do anything.[/QUOTE]

Bird123

What is god? how is it observed? realized? is it necessarily a who? is it limited to space? time?

God is actually Someone. In this time-based causal universe God's actions can be seen. This is the best way to Discover God because It does not rely on Beliefs. I honestly do not know God's limits. That is beyond my current capabilities, however God is not limited by time or space.

That's what I see. It's very clear.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
God is a relationship? God as natural law or mathematical principle? That's even less substantial than love and spirit.
The inverse square law is a relationship.

A newly arrived Martian, told that god is a relationship, would have no idea about how god is incorporated into human history and culture. He'd have no inkling that god is conceived of as a conscious being or that it has the ability to do anything.

Everything is relationship. Even love and spirit.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The "not-Self" and "Self" defining each other. Every "thing" and no "thing" without definition. Christ on the cross, Buddha under the tree, Odin on Ygdrassil.

Plainly, it is the environment the individual finds itself in--which it is inextricably a part of.

That's too complicated. Why does "god" need to be complicated and mystic?

Why use the word universe?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

and you catch glimpse?......walking past your reflection

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

The OT doesn't show a loving god though. Did he change in the NT?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
A God in simplest terms, is the eternal summation of all that is created.

When an artist paints a painting, he stands beyond his work. The paint is simple streaks of pigment that he's smeared in such a way to represent a mountain or a tree or a woman.

Hand-Painted-Modern-Wall-Art-Knife-Oil-Painting-Feminine-Romantic-Woman-Figure-Red-Roses-Impressionist-Canvas.jpg

And yet this painting cannot move about, pretty as it is. Likewise, God dwells among things so real in comparison to us that it is difficult to imagine without getting into psychedelic imagery.

The webcomic Unsounded echoes Plato's theory of forms, having objects made from First Material. These materials are the true versions of the gross matter we typically see. That matter, by comparison is only a pretty painting, even something like a woman or cat.

7QN57.jpg

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Those who know say "God exists. Believe in god to be saved"
I see it still the other way around.
To believe in God is not equal to know God. And to evangelize neither means real knowing. Most have bookish knowledge. It's a start, not the end.

The Wise declared something like "God can't be known by words, only experienced in Silence"

Those who don't know say "What in the world are you guys talking about? Next."
I would categorize them under "Those who are not interested to know more about God"

What is god? how is it observed? realized? is it necessarily a who? is it limited to space? time?
Surah Al Ikhlas verse: 1-4

Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,

Allah, the Eternal Refuge.

He neither begets nor is born,

Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

PearlSeeker

"God has made different religions to suit different aspirants, times, and countries. All doctrines are only so many paths; but a path is by no means God himself. Indeed, one can reach God if one follows any of the paths with whole-hearted devotion...One may eat a cake with icing either straight or sidewise. It will taste sweet either way." (Ramakrishna)

"God has made different religions to suit different aspirants, times, and countries. All doctrines are only so many paths; but a path is by no means God himself. Indeed, one can reach God if one follows any of the paths with whole-hearted devotion...One may eat a cake with icing either straight or sidewise. It will taste sweet either way." (Ramakrishna)
God didn't made different religions to suit different aspirants, times, and countries.
God ordered us to believe there is nog god except him, and we need to believe that he sent messengers with books to get us back to the right path, it's pretty much like a gps in life.

InChrist

Free4ever
Your answers or guesses to these questions is as good as mine or anyone’s. People have made assumptions about God throughout time, like ... god is a carved image, a king, or lightening and thunder, or an impersonal force, or oneself, and the list goes on.
I believe no one could possibly know a Being like God unless this Being chose to reveal information about Himself, which I believe He did through the chosen people of Israel, the prophets, the written word of the biblical scriptures, and ultimately in the Person of Jesus Christ.