• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, Verb or Noun?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're explaining what it meant by using a modern English version. Maybe, the original has God and says as one. Like we capitalize I when referring to the self. Maybe the ancients had forms of verbs used only for The Is.
Wait... so when you said that God is a "verb," you really meant that it might be a verb in a language you don't speak?

Really?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No, "I am" is a phrase. A phrase consisting of a noun and a verb. A phrase that is used as a proper noun in the sentence you just gave.
its a verb, 1st person singular because it has no otherness, it is empty of attributes. there is actually no present tense because it implies constant change, or indefinite form, formless, or unconditional form.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
its a verb, 1st person singular because it has no otherness, it is empty of attributes. there is actually no present tense because it implies constant change, or indefinite form, formless, or unconditional form.
"Am" is a verb. "I am" contains a verb, but is not a verb. Do you understand the difference?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Wait... so when you said that God is a "verb," you really meant that it might be a verb in a language you don't speak?

Really?
the language itself is barely a 140 years old. prior to that it was parsed together and barely used.

This week in history: Revival of the Hebrew language

there isn't necessarily a one to one transliteration from one language to another; especially when their are cultural difference because of the environment.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
a noun. What do you mean?

is love a noun or a verb? its both but

its first recognized as a verb, then given a name; which is a noun. they are called verb nouns

example

to love is a verb
i love, you love, he/she loves.

the action is identified by the noun love.

example 2

to run
i run, you run, they run.

the action of run, or running, is identified/named by the noun run

Verbs Used as Nouns

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is god a noun, a thing? or a verb?
'God' can be a common noun: Hollywood has many gods.

A proper noun: When you're God you can do what you like.

An adjective: She has a god complex.

An expletive: God!

And at a stretch a verb: Joan was godded to the papacy.

After that we're in Wonderland country:

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that’s all.'
So as a pronoun: Open the box and put the egg in god.

An adverb: They ran very god.

A preposition: We will run god the hill.

An intensifier: I run god fast.

A conjunction: One god one is two.

And the article: God woman, god dog and god walnut tree.

And so on.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
is love a noun or a verb? its both but

its first recognized as a verb, then given a name; which is a noun. they are called verb nouns

example

to love is a verb
i love, you love, he/she loves.

the action is identified by the noun love.

example 2

to run
i run, you run, they run.

the action of run, or running, is identified/named by the noun run

Verbs Used as Nouns
a noun; you don't God something, but God can create something. I still don't understand.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
so can you show me an image of your noun?
When I was starting to go back to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this was my first model of God (it has since improved):

Something has to decide which Universes exist. That is God.
In the Universes, tracing them back to the creation reveals the Creator. That is God and logically they are the same God.
A supreme being is also God. It is the thing on which everything else hinges. That is God and logically they are the same God.
When the Universe is allowing us to gain enlightenment, that is God. And logically they are all 4 the same God together.

Also, God seems to be telling me I'm going to get in trouble for my post. Oh well.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
As a representation.
i can show you what god is. love fights for the right, for all sentient beings to have life, liberty, and justice for all. not some but all.

volunteering-large_600x400.jpg

and here too

USNC-18-10049-JA_557893-1-960x365.jpg

and here too

Tlumacki_womensmarchcambridge_metro183.jpg