• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, Verb or Noun?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I understood that the question, noun or verb, isn't about the word God but is about the God attributes.

First of all, is God a thing or action. Like the wind. It isn't wind if it is not blowing. God is what operates (a verb) the universe.
The way you used it, "wind" is also a noun.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The way you used it, "wind" is also a noun.
Yes, I understand. I really do! But, I have to settle with being alone about what I think he meant by the question. Is God a thing or actions? I believe that God is what God DOES. I have not come to the conclusion that there is a thing that is God doing nothing. But, I am certain that many things have happened that I attribute to the NOUN God. OK? So first, a verb. I think the verb came first, then people gave the actions a name. GOD.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, I understand. I really do!
You say that, but your posts in the thread suggest otherwise.

But, I have to settle with being alone about what I think he meant by the question.
I generally don't try to infer intent from @Fool . I can't relate to their point of view, so I just respond to their posts as written without trying to read between the lines.

Is God a thing or actions? I believe that God is what God DOES.
In this sentence, you used the term "what God DOES" as a noun.

I have not come to the conclusion that there is a thing that is God doing nothing. But, I am certain that many things have happened that I attribute to the NOUN God. OK? So first, a verb. I think the verb came first, then people gave the actions a name. GOD.
Sorry - this seems incoherent to me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You say that, but your posts in the thread suggest otherwise.

I generally don't try to infer intent from @Fool . I can't relate to their point of view, so I just respond to their posts as written without trying to read between the lines.

In this sentence, you used the term "what God DOES" as a noun.

Sorry - this seems incoherent to me.
I just can't imagine that there was someone before time who thought, "I think I'll make something". In the beginning, something happened. The word beginning is a noun. The beginning wasn't God because what God (a noun) does is still happening. I think that The Happening is God. When anything happens a verb is present. Right?

So, for me, God is a VERB. Because a god doing nothing doesn't exist in my imagination. I suppose I am a hybrid of a believer (first) and an atheist lesser so.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And, (an aside here), for that reason I sympathize with the Hindu religions because they attribute gods to happenings. But, I think there is really only one.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I just can't imagine that there was someone before time who thought, "I think I'll make something". In the beginning, something happened. The word beginning is a noun. The beginning wasn't God because what God (a noun) does is still happening. I think that The Happening is God. When anything happens a verb is present. Right?
I sincerely have no idea what you're trying to say.

So, for me, God is a VERB. Because a god doing nothing doesn't exist in my imagination.
The mere fact that something's a noun doesn't mean it's inactive. In fact, every single thing that's ever done anything is a noun.

I suppose I am a hybrid of a believer (first) and an atheist lesser so.
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Ponder This

Is god a noun, a thing? or a verb?

Adjective.
e.g. "Almighty"

not "Father" but rather "Our Father"
not "King" but rather "King of Kings"
not "Spirit" but rather "Holy Spirit"
not "Knowing" but rather "All Knowing"

God is referred to in the superlative, which a quality or degree.
When it is said "God is good" it is not meant simply that God happens to be a thing that is good or an action that is good. Hence, Mark 10:18:
"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.​

God is not merely 'a' god, He is 'the' God. The word 'the' is used in the superlative sense.

:p

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Adjective.
e.g. "Almighty"

not "Father" but rather "Our Father"
not "King" but rather "King of Kings"
not "Spirit" but rather "Holy Spirit"
not "Knowing" but rather "All Knowing"

God is referred to in the superlative, which a quality or degree.
When it is said "God is good" it is not meant simply that God happens to be a thing that is good or an action that is good. Hence, Mark 10:18:
"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.​

God is not merely 'a' god, He is 'the' God. The word 'the' is used in the superlative sense.

:p

If you name me,
you negate me.
By giving me a name, a label,
you negate all the other things
I could possibly be.

– Søren Kierkegaard

gospel of thomas
13. Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to something and tell me what I am like."

Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a just messenger."

Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher."

Thomas said to him, "Teacher, my mouth is utterly unable to say what you are like."

Jesus said, "I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended."

And he took him, and withdrew, and spoke three sayings to him. When Thomas came back to his friends they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?"

Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the sayings he spoke to me, you will pick up rocks and stone me, and fire will come from the rocks and devour you."