• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God, Verb or Noun?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
When I was starting to go back to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this was my first model of God (it has since improved):

Something has to decide which Universes exist. That is God.
In the Universes, tracing them back to the creation reveals the Creator. That is God and logically they are the same God.
A supreme being is also God. It is the thing on which everything else hinges. That is God and logically they are the same God.
When the Universe is allowing us to gain enlightenment, that is God. And logically they are all 4 the same God together.

Also, God seems to be telling me I'm going to get in trouble for my post. Oh well.
Yes, I think my definition of God is naturally loving and that was at the start of the modeling of God I just mentioned. Also, I think the supreme being is Jesus Christ.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
i can show you what god is. love fights for the right, for all sentient beings to have life, liberty, and justice for all. not some but all.

Yes, I think my definition of God is naturally loving and that was at the start of the modeling of God I just mentioned. Also, I think the supreme being is Jesus Christ.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Is god a noun, a thing? or a verb?
Noun. If it were able to be a verb I think you should be able to give it an "ing" action.. as running or swimming. "Godding" isn't a word. Think of the word Lord though, I have heard the term as "lording over". That could be considered an action. "Playing God" still doesn't remove the noun.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
You godda be kidding ─ isn't a word? What about, "I'll be godding till mid-day, so I'll see you at lunch," said the pastor. What about godding to the chase?
Huh?, never heard that.... surely your pulling my leg... but I'll look it up... if it is really proper and used in that sense, the word would be used as a verb... maybe I should stick to math and leave English alone. o_O

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Huh?, never heard that.... surely your pulling my leg... but I'll look it up... if it is really proper and used in that sense, the word would be used as a verb... maybe I should stick to math and leave English alone. o_O
Put it this way: the world can use a verb 'to god' ─ so many folk spend so much time godding.

Shaul

Premium Member
G-d is omnipotent and omniscient. He is not limited to our human language constructs of verb or noun. He is simultaneously both. That is why He is more correctly referred to as a being. A being is both an actor(noun) and the action(verb).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
G-d is omnipotent and omniscient. He is not limited to our human language constructs of verb or noun. He is simultaneously both.
The term "G-d" is not your god. The term is very much a part of human language.

And I notice that you did use the term as a noun. If you think that G-d is simultaneously both verb and noun, could you give an example of a sentence where you would use "G-d" as a verb?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

God is a noun, derived from the 6th century AD german word gott. It filtered into the english language sometime after that.

As the word did not exist it never occurred in early bibles

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Noun. If it were able to be a verb I think you should be able to give it an "ing" action.. as running or swimming. "Godding" isn't a word. Think of the word Lord though, I have heard the term as "lording over". That could be considered an action. "Playing God" still doesn't remove the noun.

loving isn't a verb. it's an adjective

adoring isn't a verb. it's an adjective.

there is a whole list of verbs that don't have and "ing" form

running and swimming have an adjective form but a verb form too.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
God is a noun, derived from the 6th century AD german word gott. It filtered into the english language sometime after that.

As the word did not exist it never occurred in early bibles
it would be interesting to know the word used prior to that. obviously the torah lists it as either `el or elohim. the greeks used theos; which sounds like thayoss

there was actually no bible until the 5 century bc. prior to that there were writings by different authors; which is similar to buddhism and hinduism. then a minority decided they wanted to control the flow of information, stepped in, and started their own cliques. unfortunately the unconditional mind and love don't do so well in organized religions. the unconditional tends to be idiosyncratic.

you can lead the mind to itself but you can't make it think.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

And I notice that you did use the term as a noun. If you think that G-d is simultaneously both verb and noun, could you give an example of a sentence where you would use "G-d" as a verb?

the term, name, noun, is the identification that is given to a being(noun) that creates(verb), or maintains(verb), or destroys(verb), some aspect of our reality.

we first recognize it by its action(s) and then "we" give it a name, noun. the identifier is for us. we don't recognize it as a noun until after we see how it behaves.

like fowl, we know most fowl fly but not all fowl fly. we know all fowl lay eggs but other things lay eggs too. we know fowl tend to grow feathers. laying eggs and/or flying and/or growth of feathers determines that that is a fowl. again we recognize what it does, it's action and we label it with the noun, fowl.

Nouns: forming nouns from other words
from English Grammar Today
We often form nouns from other parts of speech, most commonly from a verb or an adjective. We can then use the noun phrase instead of the verb or adjective to create a more formal style. We call this nominalisation:

Nominalization - Wikipedia

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
it would be interesting to know the word used prior to that. obviously the torah lists it as either `el or elohim. the greeks used theos; which sounds like thayoss

there was actually no bible until the 5 century bc. prior to that there were writings by different authors; which is similar to buddhism and hinduism. then a minority decided they wanted to control the flow of information, stepped in, and started their own cliques. unfortunately the unconditional mind and love don't do so well in organized religions. the unconditional tends to be idiosyncratic.

you can lead the mind to itself but you can't make it think.

Religions had their own names for their gods

A bible in 5th century BC? Surely you meant whatever books were sacred to the religions of the time.

What? A mind thinks for itself.

P.s. the pyramid texts were written around 2400BC. The Hindu Rigveda around 1700 BC. The OT is a youngster written between 10O0 and 500BC. The bible a relative baby compiled only 1650 years ago?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
the term, name, noun, is the identification that is given to a being(noun) that creates(verb), or maintains(verb), or destroys(verb), some aspect of our reality.

we first recognize it by its action(s) and then "we" give it a name, noun. the identifier is for us. we don't recognize it as a noun until after we see how it behaves.
Am I the only one here whose education covered basic grammar?

Shaul

Premium Member

Actually the use of “G-d” is most often used to refer the Divine being of Judaism and not the more universal term “god”. So “G-d” is the one of me and fellow Torah observant people (either Jews or Noahides). Since “god” is more ambiguous I purposely did not use it. That term could refer to a omnipotent and omniscient entity or not. I am perceiving you were taking exception to an assumption that I was defining the term “god” for everybody and objecting to that. Since that is not what I did your umbrage is misplaced. However, most people do define “god” as an omnipotent and omniscient entity. For those that do, my description of that entity as a being, both a noun and a verb simultaneously, is apropos.

No, I didn’t use the term as a noun. If you think I did because I referred to G-d by using the pronoun “He”, then you are mistaken. In English that pronoun is the correct one to use for both nouns and beings (as in human beings too).

A good example of G-d, the Being, used as a verb would be Exodus (Shemot) 3:14 “אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה” where it gives G-d’s Name as a verb. The Hebrew is clear that the name for G-d used is a verb. While that is hard to translate in common English, it is nonetheless true.

Last edited:

Neuropteron

Anything that is worshiped can be termed a god, inasmuch as the worshiper attributes to it might greater than his own and venerates it.
In Hebrew one of the word that is translated God is "El" meaning "Mighty One;"Strong One.
In Greek it is "Elohim", which basically has the same meaning.
In consequense, It is safe to say that the term "God" is a title.

Shaul

Premium Member
Anything that is worshiped can be termed a god, inasmuch as the worshiper attributes to it might greater than his own and venerates it.
In Hebrew one of the word that is translated God is "El" meaning "Mighty One;"Strong One.
In Greek it is "Elohim", which basically has the same meaning.
In consequense, It is safe to say that the term "God" is a title.
Elohim is not Greek it is Hebrew.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understood that the question, noun or verb, isn't about the word God but is about the God attributes.

First of all, is God a thing or action. Like the wind. It isn't wind if it is not blowing. God is what operates (a verb) the universe.