• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God The Omnipotent

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I don't agree. Deism denies any role of key human experiences in developing an understanding of the universe.

Deism does not deny human experiences with regard to understanding the universe. It is the exact opposite. I should know...I AM A DEIST. Deism is based off of personal observations of nature and the universe, and thus what you learn from those experiences. Deism is not earth centric; it has a cosmic focus. We look beyond our little borders.

What deism denies and rejects are man made holy books where some ancient prophet says "I was divinely inspired" or "God spoke to me and told me this..." Deism is all about deductive reasoning and we most often agree with science.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Deism does not deny human experiences with regard to understanding the universe. It is the exact opposite. I should know...I AM A DEIST. Deism is based off of personal observations of nature and the universe, and thus what you learn from those experiences. Deism is not earth centric; it has a cosmic focus. We look beyond our little borders.

What deism denies and rejects are man made holy books where some ancient prophet says "I was divinely inspired" or "God spoke to me and told me this..." Deism is all about deductive reasoning and we most often agree with science.
What I was getting at were things like Near Death Experiences; Childhood reincarnation verifiable memories, spirit communications, mystical experiences, teachings of advanced souls, etc.. I have studied all these phenomena and more and a full consideration (from all sides) has been instrumental in forming my understanding of the universe

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What I was getting at were things like Near Death Experiences; Childhood reincarnation verifiable memories, spirit communications, mystical experiences, teachings of advanced souls, etc..
The main difference between you and us deists is that we recognize that humans are extremely capable of inventing fiction. We do it all the time. So we deists expect something more than a human making a claim before accepting something that is implausible.
Tom

George-ananda

Premium Member
The main difference between you and us deists is that we recognize that humans are extremely capable of inventing fiction. We do it all the time. So we deists expect something more than a human making a claim before accepting something that is implausible.
Tom
I actually agree with that position. That's why all the subjects I mentioned require careful analysis considering all evidence and argumentation; which is neither blind acceptance nor blind dismissal. My analysis concludes something is indeed going on that is beyond our current science and effects my view of how the universe operates. I see how so much of this is really part and parcel of an already established wisdom tradition (eastern/Indian).

Skwim

Veteran Member
Absolutely. The chaos in the world today is against God's will.
So, god doesn't want chaos and could stop it, but allows it to continue anyway. Kind of wonder why, don't you? Boy, when stuff happens that I don't like, and I have the capability of stopping it, I do. Gotta wonder what god's waiting for. More human deaths perhaps?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My analysis concludes something is indeed going on that is beyond our current science and effects my view of how the universe operates.

I definitely agree with this. The history of science is finding out things about the universe we didn't know.
But one of the biggest things holding us back is people making claims for things without strong evidence. People wishing to believe are very easily led by charlatans.
So while I agree that there is more to Creation than we know, I am not going to believe anything important based on somebody's second hand account of an experience indistinguishable from a delusion or magic trick.
At the moment, that's all there is for most of the beliefs you cited.
Tom

First Baseman

Retired athlete
God created the universe and all that is in it.
God created the laws of nature.
God created gravity and orbits.
God created what would become science and mathematics.
God created life and its complexities.
God created the elements and photosynthesis.
God created time, space and medicine.
God created us with intelligence.

God even created "Satan" but for some damn reason the omnipotent creator can't seem to do anything about him, according to some of the more archaic minded religions. Satan gets to roam free, tempting and taunting, and spreading his wickedness in his wake. Only a human mind would come up with such nonsense.

I say that if Satan were truly this evil, devilish nemesis, that God could simply snap His divine fingers and uncreate what He created and save everyone the trouble. ;)

I see you're not very familiar with the Bible. Try reading Job. You'll quickly discover that Satan can only do what God will allow him to do.

If Satan really were allowed to run around free the world have ended many times by now. God is the One who keeps things together.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I definitely agree with this. The history of science is finding out things about the universe we didn't know.
But one of the biggest things holding us back is people making claims for things without strong evidence. People wishing to believe are very easily led by charlatans.
So while I agree that there is more to Creation than we know, I am not going to believe anything important based on somebody's second hand account of an experience indistinguishable from a delusion or magic trick.
At the moment, that's all there is for most of the beliefs you cited.
Tom
That is why one's analysis needs to be intelligent (and beyond blind dismissal or blind acceptance). The evidence for my beliefs are strong enough for me to be well beyond reasonable doubt. I do not think the average person is aware of the quality of some of this evidence without serious study and consideration of the subjects.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Which is why scientists rely so heavily on seemingly arbitrary standards and methods. Things like repeatable experiments, published results and very precise terminology.
As opposed to theologians and supernatural quacks.
Tom

Yeah, sure they do. That's why they preach macro-evolution, which they cannot prove and why they teach abiogenesis, which they can't even form a good acceptable theory about. Yeah, sure they do.

rusra02

Premium Member
So, god doesn't want chaos and could stop it, but allows it to continue anyway. Kind of wonder why, don't you? Boy, when stuff happens that I don't like, and I have the capability of stopping it, I do. Gotta wonder what god's waiting for. More human deaths perhaps?

Maybe God is wiser than you and me? And he has very good reasons for his patience? And God has explained those reasons in the Bible? I think that may be, no, I'm sure that is the case.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
As opposed to what?
Catholics and Shia disagreeing about God? And who really knows the truth about Him?
Tom

Jesus is the truth, the way and the life. Only Jesus knows the Father, has seen His face and been in His presence. Along with whomsoever Jesus will take into His presence.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Jesus is the truth, the way and the life. Only Jesus knows the Father, has seen His face and been in His presence. Along with whomsoever Jesus will take into His presence.
Muslims sincerely and devoutly believe differently. So let's investigate the evidence, OK?
Tom

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Muslims sincerely and devoutly believe differently. So let's investigate the evidence, OK?
Tom

The only evidence I'm convinced of is Jesus Christ because only in Him is truth. You listen to Mohammed if you want, I'll go with Him who died for me and loves me.