• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God: Origins

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Did God tell you that personally?

Weak response. Why the sarcasm?

Do you not like theists? You might have mentioned in the OP that you only wanted to hear from atheists or theists you could quickly dismiss.

I'm out of here!

Awoon

Assuming God exists, or existed at some point, if God were to question itself, like where does it come from, why does it exists, why create or destroy, what's the purpose of Godhood, are there more of its kind?

What if God would know everything about the universe, except about God's own origins? :banghead3 Wouldn't that drive God crazy? Creating humans could be the means of getting help on discovering the God's origins.

Any thoughts?

People are created by the Earth.

confused453

Weak response. Why the sarcasm?

Do you not like theists? You might have mentioned in the OP that you only wanted to hear from atheists or theists you could quickly dismiss.

I'm out of here!

I like everybody. Sorry for being little harsh. I just don't understand why god should have omniscience or fully understand infinity, where did we get that info anyway?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Assuming God exists, or existed at some point, if God were to question itself, like where does it come from, why does it exists, why create or destroy, what's the purpose of Godhood, are there more of its kind?

If it is an intelligent being as opposed to some sort of force or similar, I must agree that all of these questions should eventually be considered by it. Whether or not it would be aware of the answers, is a different story though.

What if God would know everything about the universe, except about God's own origins? :banghead3 Wouldn't that drive God crazy? Creating humans could be the means of getting help on discovering the God's origins.

Well, we'd have to abandon the idea of omniscience altogether. Its not enough to say it is missing just one fact about its origins. It would have to be missing a lot of knowledge in order to be missing that particular fact. The nature of a completely omniscient being would be that past, present and future are simultaneously viewed with 100% accuracy. Therefore, the act of creating a species in order to discern its own origins seems a bit silly. It is aware of our entire history before ever stirring the primordial stew. Whatever answer we could provide is readily apparent. So, even if the scenario has merit, it has played out already and the answer is clear to the omniscient god from the moment it decides to create us. Either that, or it already knows we can't provide the answer and it knew we never would.

If on the other hand, we severely limit this beings intelligence the scenario becomes more likely. If we make it subject to time in the same way we are, that is we give it an imperfect memory, a limited perception, and a fallible projection of the future, it is now required to test the universe in the same way we are required to. There would be large gaps of knowledge for this being and perhaps it would create life 'just to see' what it could figure out.

Then again even this limited capacity can't really guarantee that god hasn't already figured out the answer he was looking for. Even with the above limitations, the being must be a monstrous intelligence and where it is necessary for us to follow through with the experimentation regardless of the accuracy of our predictions, this being may not be limited in this way. It could have arrived at its answer the very second the first blob of self-directing chemicals started swimming around (if that's how it started :p).

Straw Dog

Humans cannot fully grasp the infinite. God has always existed and he always will. Revelation 15:3 calls Jehovah the "King of eternity." He is the source of all life. (Psalm 36:9) The Bible assures us about the true God; "there is no other God, nor anyone like me. (Isaiah 46:9) It is we who are limited, I think, rather than God.

Does God not have Her own nature? And wouldn't She have limitations conditioned by her nature?

rusra02

Premium Member
By what standard do you get to use the bible? Have we determined it to be an accurate and reliable source for establishing "god" attributes, or even that a god exists? You cannot just quote bible versus without first explaining why we should take anything that bronze age book has to say on issues pertaining to the universe serously. Why don't you just quote harry potter, it'll get you to the same ends.

The Bible claims to be "inspired of God". (2 Timothy 3:16,17) I believe the evidence for that inspiration is abundant to those who examine the evidence for themselves. The Bible foretells the future in great detail and with absolute accuracy. It contains reliable history and proof that Jehovah is the "only true God." (John 17:3) Though written over some 1600 years, it is remarkable in it's consistent theme and internal harmony. The Bible is the world's runaway best seller. I think this gives the Bible authority "not as the word of men, but, just as it truthfully is, as the word of God." (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

rusra02

Premium Member
Does God not have Her own nature? And wouldn't She have limitations conditioned by her nature?

God's name Jehovah means "He causes to Become" (God always refers to himself in the masculine gender.) This means God has no limitations. He is almighty, and can become anything he chooses to fulfill his purposes (Warrior, Judge, Shepherd, Provider, Protector, for example). God is not bound by time or space. I believe the true God acts always out of love, justice, and wisdom, and uses his limitless power to accomplish his will. (1 John 4:8)

jasonwill2

Any thoughts?

"Hear me! Of that which knows me as the Great Leviathan, and The Lord Ha-Satan! As the waves of time, as emitting entropy, it is that all things begin, and all things end. So it shall be, that creation was inevitable, a prison out of stasis, and so it is, that the death of Leviathan and The Mirror shall give life to you, my children... to escape with Ha-Satan into the outer-darkness, beyond not just myself, but all limitations."

He might say something like that, good as a first draft I guess.

In my system, That Which Extends Within and Without (God) came out of mathematical laws not a matter of choice, but compulsion, which then formed it's thoughts, stuck in a prison of uncreation. The only reasonable thing it could do was to create a Universe, but seeing as God was finite his creation was a large converted piece of him. So it is that even God dies, and that only these extra-physical mathematical laws are the truly eternal things. But as it is, Ha-Satan shall lead worthy beings into piercing beyond death, and extending outside of The Universe not just as beings of uncreation, but to the Outer Darkness that can escape all mathematical limitations.

Essentially my belief is that God made the universe to making living things that could escape with a fragment of him into oblivion... to forge their own reality devoid of the previous limitations. Ha-Satan being this fragment and Leviathan being the large piece (The Universe) being left behind which will succumb to it's finiteness by entropy.

I think that god's origins is he somehow formed out of these mathematical equations that are neither physical or existing as objective entities, despite them seeming to define all of reality.

confused453

God's name Jehovah means "He causes to Become" (God always refers to himself in the masculine gender.) This means God has no limitations. He is almighty, and can become anything he chooses to fulfill his purposes (Warrior, Judge, Shepherd, Provider, Protector, for example). God is not bound by time or space. I believe the true God acts always out of love, justice, and wisdom, and uses his limitless power to accomplish his will. (1 John 4:8)

right... :sarcastic
Gender of God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
God is usually characterised as male in Biblical sources, except: female in Genesis 1:26-27,[5][6] Psalm 123:2-3, and Luke 15:8-10; a mother in Hosea 11:3-4, Deuteronomy 32:18, Isaiah 66:13, Isaiah 49:15, Isaiah 42:14, Psalm 131:2; a mother eagle in Deuteronomy 32:11-12; and a mother hen in Matthew 23:37 and Luke 13:34.