• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God is sick

Ebionite

Which has to do with what Job was doing before Satan entered the picture how?
Killing the animals for a religious purpose.

They sacrificed unto devils, not to Elohim; to what they knew not, to new that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
Deuteronomy 32:17

And the subject of the OP:
That doesn't specify a Christian context.

Also God for the typical viewpoint of the Abrahamic faiths, no?
Typical or not it's misleading. Elohim is a plural word, implying that other parties were involved.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Killing the animals for a religious purpose.

They sacrificed unto devils, not to Elohim; to what they knew not, to new that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.
Deuteronomy 32:17

God/Elohim didn't seem to mind. He extolled Job's virtues which brought up the subject in the first place.

That doesn't specify a Christian context.

It is the very first sentence of the OP...

Typical or not it's misleading. Elohim is a plural word, implying that other parties were involved.

I don't disagree. But regardless, that is not the Abrahamic perspective, and that is the basis of my post.

I personally read Job as showing an understanding of finding peace in his place in the Universe. He is an emotional being and suffers by being one in a tumultuous Universe, yet he is wise enough to understand he cannot change things and is at peace. The same sentiment is echoed in the mantra “‘All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well'” from Lady Julian of Norwich.

However, the literal interpretations (of the less than literal translations, granted) of many Abrahamic traditions suggest that Job is made to suffer because God wants to show Satan he will be faithful regardless. This is essentially torturing a man and his loved ones for the sake of a bet.

Ebionite

God/Elohim didn't seem to mind. He extolled Job's virtues which brought up the subject in the first place.

No, Elohim didn't do that.

And YHWH said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth Elohim, and escheweth evil?
Job 1:8

There's no reason to believe that YHWH had an interest in Job's sacrifice.

It is the very first sentence of the OP...
Oh, right. I've got him on ignore so I didn't see it.

I don't disagree. But regardless, that is not the Abrahamic perspective, and that is the basis of my post.
No, Abraham made the distinction.

And Abram said, Lord YHWH, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
Genesis 15:2

And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of YHWH, the everlasting El.
Genesis 21:33

And Abraham said, My son, Elohim will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
Genesis 22:8

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
No, Elohim didn't do that.

And YHWH said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth Elohim, and escheweth evil?
Job 1:8

There's no reason to believe that YHWH had an interest in Job's sacrifice.

YHWH still considered him virtuous, though, right? Which means the animal sacrifices were either pleasing to It, It was unaware of them, or It at least didn't mind them.

Oh, right. I've got him on ignore so I didn't see it.

My response was directed towards the typical, monotheistic Christian (and possibly Muslim and Jewish) literal interpretation of God in the Old Testament.

No, Abraham made the distinction.

And Abram said, Lord YHWH, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
Genesis 15:2

And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of YHWH, the everlasting El.
Genesis 21:33

And Abraham said, My son, Elohim will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
Genesis 22:8

Perhaps Abraham did, but the Abrahamic faiths of today don't do so necessarily.

So I must ask, who are the Elohim to you? What are their qualities vs. YHWH? What translated text source are you using here?

Ebionite

YHWH still considered him virtuous, though, right? Which means the animal sacrifices were either pleasing to It, It was unaware of them, or It at least didn't mind them.
YHWH refers to himself as male. The reason that Job was making sacrifices was because he thought that his children might have cursed Elohim. Job's sons and daughters were feasting, so there's no reason for them to curse their Creator, and therefore there's no reason for YHWH to have an interest in Job's sacrifice.

My response was directed towards the typical, monotheistic Christian (and possibly Muslim and Jewish) literal interpretation of God in the Old Testament.
That perspective isn't unusual, and it's also a source of confusion.

Perhaps Abraham did, but the Abrahamic faiths of today don't do so necessarily.
Which is why faith should be questioned.

So I must ask, who are the Elohim to you? What are their qualities vs. YHWH? What translated text source are you using here?
That question is best answered by discovery, Exodus 3 is the classic text for this. The captain doesn't go out unless there's a parrot on his shoulder.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nothing about sex slaves there. And also, nothing about forcing anyone to have sex.

So you consider taking unwilling women and forcing them to be captive wives does not involve sex slavery

Well you may interpret the bible as whatever fairy story you please, i will take occured in real life

So you consider taking unwilling women and forcing them to be captive wives does not involve sex slavery

I think, if they were righteous, they would not force anyone to have sex, or to be a sex slave. And if they would not be righteous, God would have not allowed them to be successful.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think, if they were righteous, they would not force anyone to have sex, or to be a sex slave. And if they would not be righteous, God would have not allowed them to be successful.

You make assumptions that killing people and staling livestock and women is righteous.

The book say god ordered them to do it.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
The God most Christians and Muslims promote makes me want to vomit!
Well, that is because that which is being popularly promoted is a false image of God, a bad 'PR' if you will, a straw man, a propagandistic version from the enemy of all souls. Like what ChristineM promotes, a projection of her misplaced hatred, rather than truth (she knows better, but does it anyway).

Are you off the popular belief that those who died not embracing your religion have no salvation or get tossed into a lake of fire?
No. It is not so simple as all that. Each person is given light from above, and they are judged based upon that light.

Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.​

For instance, there are those who will enter (not there yet) Heaven, who have never heard of the name of Jesus Christ, nor even have known of the crucified one (Jesus):

Zec_13:6 And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.​

That question, will be asked in the day that they enter Heaven, and all will be explained to them at that time. God sends light to each as they are able to bear it. God has sent light, truth and love to you also, even as to me. The Light that I have received, may not have been the light you have received, I may have received more and you less, or you more and I less.

This does not mean, however, that any have excuse, in the day of executive judgment, for their violation of the law of love (Ten Commandments).

Many are "ignorant" (without knowledge) of many things, even as we are all, but that doesn't mean that God has not told us that which we could handle and appropriate, for God is merciful, long-suffering (not endlessly suffering) with us:

Act_17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
God knows those in the world who have not had opportunity as others, and judges them accordingly:

Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
They shall be in the kingdom (in future). Even those who claim to be 'atheists' now, and have rightly turned away from the false representations of the true God, and do that which they know according to the light given them, have also opportunity. God even submitted to Thomas, and desired even all doubt to be put away about His love for him, and they all. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, and so will also do the same for those, who truly desire to know, and have had some doubts, but are willing to give those up if they can but just see through the errors. This does not mean universalism is the teaching, God forbid, but that to each person, they stand or fall, based upon their individual experience, of acceptance or rejection of what God has allowed them.

I ask that you put away the false images of God that many ignorantly put forth.

Last edited:

syo

The God most Christians and Muslims promote makes me want to vomit!

Are you off the popular belief that those who died not embracing your religion have no salvation or get tossed into a lake of fire?

Why should I want to be in heaven for eternity worshiping such a God who is so unjust?

Yes, it is stupid. What about the billions of people that were never exposed to the true faith?

If you must accept Jesus in this life to be saved, and there's no second Chances of accepting him after death, why was that Grace given to the countless souls who died before Christ? They found Jesus after they died.

My van driver at work is a very kind and generous person with much compassion, but she is an atheist. when I was in a wheelchair, an extremely kind Cambodian girl would take care of me, have recreation with me ,a we were always together and truly I loved her company. Yet she was an atheist.

If such people die atheist and go to hell, then God is a prick and the epitome of what my conscience tells is not right, sick, and wrong!
God is not sick. People are not sick. Some ACTIONS are sick.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Nothing about sex slaves there. And also, nothing about forcing anyone to have sex.

Unless you're incredibly naive you'd understand that "using" captured women would include forcing them to have sex. Or do you think all these captured women were just begging for a roll in the hay with their captors?

Deuteronomy 20:13-14
13 And when the Lord your God lets you take the city, you must kill all the men in it. 14 But you may take for yourselves the women, the children, the cattle, and everything else in the city. You may use all these things. The Lord your God has given these things to you.

And isn't it nice that god condones it all. :rolleyes: Go ahead and essentially rape these women, God has given his go-ahead. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
Unless you're incredibly naive you'd understand that "using" captured women would include forcing them to have sex. Or do you think all these captured women were just begging for a roll in the hay with their captors?

13 And when the Lord your God lets you take the city, you must kill all the men in it. 14 But you may take for yourselves the women, the children, the cattle, and everything else in the city. You may use all these things. The Lord your God has given these things to you.​

The translation 'you' chose of the Hebrew is garbage, here is an accurate accounting:

Deu 20:13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:
Deu 20:14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.​

I suppose also by your same faulty logic, and horrendous translation, that the Israelites also used the "children" and the "cattle" and "everything else in the city" in the same way as 'you' make the text to say about "women".

Why not actually read the text for what it plainly says instead of trying to make out God to be the monster 'you' want God to be?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
The translation 'you' chose of the Hebrew is garbage, here is an accurate accoutning:

Deu 20:13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:
Deu 20:14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.​

Why not actually read the text for what it plainly says instead of trying to make out God to be the monster 'you' want God to be?
And you know for a fact that your translation is "an accurate accounting," and the one I presented is "garbage" because _________________________
___________________________________________________fill in the blank__________________________ .

And just what do you think "thou" means?

thou
/T͟Hou/
pronoun
pronoun: thou
archaic or dialect form of you, as the singular subject of a verb.

I suppose also by your same faulty logic, and horrendous translation, that the Israelites also used the "children" and the "cattle" and "everything else in the city" in the same way as 'you' make the text to say about "women".
Hardly, that would be stupid now wouldn't it, but just so you know the translation I used isn't alone, here are a few more:

AMP
Only the women and the children and the animals and everything that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as plunder for yourself; and you shall use the spoil of your enemies which the Lord your God has given you.

AMPC
But the women, the little ones, the beasts, and all that is in the city, all the spoil in it, you shall take for yourselves; and you shall use the spoil of your enemies which the Lord your God has given you.

EHV
But the women and the children, and the cattle and everything that is in the city—all its plunder—take as spoils of war for yourself. You may make use of the plunder of your enemies that the Lord your God gives you

EXB
and you may take ·everything else [all the plunder] in the city for yourselves. Take the women, children, and animals, and you may use ·these things [the plunder] the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

GNT
You may, however, take for yourselves the women, the children, the livestock, and everything else in the city. You may use everything that belongs to your enemies. The Lord has given it to you.

ICB
You may take everything else in the city for yourselves. Take the women and children and animals. And you may use these things the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

MSG
. . . God, your God, will give them to you. Kill all the men with your swords. But don’t kill the women and children and animals. Everything inside the town you can take as plunder for you to use and eat—God, your God, gives it to you. This is the way you deal with the distant towns, the towns that don’t belong to the nations at hand.

NASB
Only the women and the children and the animals and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourself; and you shall use the spoil of your enemies which the Lord your God has given you.

NCV
and you may take everything else in the city for yourselves. Take the women, children, and animals, and you may use these things the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

NIRV
But you can take the women and children for yourselves. You can also take the livestock and everything else in the city. What you have captured from your enemies you can use for yourselves. The Lord your God has given it to you.

NIV
As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

NIVUK
As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

NLV
Take for yourselves what is left, the women, the children, all the animals, and all that is in the city. use what is left of those who fought against you, which the Lord your God has given you.

VOICE
But you can take the women, children, livestock, all the other goods in the city, and all of its spoils as your plunder for your use. The Eternal your God has given you these spoils from your enemies.

WEB
but the women, the little ones, the livestock, and all that is in the city, even all its plunder, you shall take for plunder for yourself. You may use the plunder of your enemies, which Yahweh your God has given you.​

Moreover, in some translations god even says to enjoy them.

CSB
But you may take the women, dependents, animals, and whatever else is in the city—all its spoil—as plunder. You may enjoy the spoil of your enemies that the Lord your God has given you.

CEB
However, you can take for yourselves the women, the children, the animals, and all that is in the city—all its plunder. You can then enjoy your enemies’ plunder, which the Lord your God has given you.

ESV
but the women and the little ones, the livestock, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as plunder for yourselves. And you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you.

ESVUK
but the women and the little ones, the livestock, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as plunder for yourselves. And you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you.

GW
But take the women and children, the cattle and everything else in the city, including all its goods, as your loot. You may enjoy your enemies’ goods that the Lord your God has given you.

HCSB
But you may take the women, children, animals, and whatever else is in the city—all its spoil—as plunder. You may enjoy the spoil of your enemies that the Lord your God has given you.

LEB
Only the women and the little children and the domestic animals and all that shall be in the city, all of its spoil you may loot for yourselves, and you may enjoy the spoil of your enemies that Yahweh you God has given to you.

NOG
But take the women and children, the cattle and everything else in the city, including all its goods, as your loot. You may enjoy your enemies’ goods that Yahweh your Elohim has given you.

NABRE
but the women and children and livestock and anything else in the city—all its spoil—you may take as plunder for yourselves, and you may enjoy this spoil of your enemies, which the Lord, your God, has given you.

NLT
But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the plunder from your enemies that the Lord your God has given you.

NRSV
You may, however, take as your booty the women, the children, livestock, and everything else in the town, all its spoil. You may enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you.

NRSVACE
You may, however, take as your booty the women, the children, livestock, and everything else in the town, all its spoil. You may enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you.

RSV
but the women and the little ones, the cattle, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourselves; and you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you.

RSVCE
but the women and the little ones, the cattle, and everything else in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourselves; and you shall enjoy the spoil of your enemies, which the Lord your God has given you.

So, whether god said to "use" the women or "enjoy" them, as spoils, booty, or plunder it all amounted to giving the go-ahead to rape.

Last edited:

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
And you know for a fact that your translation is "an accurate accounting," ..

So, whether god said to "use" the women or "enjoy" them, as spoils, booty, or plunder it all amounted to giving the go-ahead to rape.
The word 'akal, doesn't mean 'enjoy', or even have any sexual connotation, it simply means to "eat":

H398
אכל
'âkal

Total KJV Occurrences: 805

eat, 497
Gen_2:16-17 (2), Gen_9:4, Gen_18:8, Gen_19:3, Gen_24:33 (2), Gen_24:54, Gen_25:34, Gen_26:30, Gen_27:4, Gen_27:7, Gen_27:10, Gen_27:19, Gen_27:25 (2), Gen_27:31, Gen_28:20, Gen_31:46, Gen_31:54 (2), Gen_32:32, Gen_37:25, Gen_39:6, Gen_40:17, Gen_40:19, Gen_41:4, Gen_41:20, Gen_43:25, Gen_43:32 (2), Gen_45:18, Gen_47:22, Exo_2:20, Exo_10:5 (2), Exo_10:12, Exo_10:15, Ex 12 (15), Exo_13:6, Exo_16:3, Exo_16:8, Exo_16:12, Exo_16:25, Exo_16:35 (2), Exo_18:12, Exo_22:31, Exo_23:11 (2), Exo_23:15, Exo_24:11, Exo_29:32-33 (3), Exo_32:6, Exo_34:15, Exo_34:18, Exo_34:28, Lev_3:17, Lev_6:16 (2), Lev_6:18, Lev_6:26, Lev_6:29, Lev_7:6, Lev_7:19, Lev_7:21, Lev_7:23-24 (2), Lev_7:26, Lev_8:31 (2), Lev_10:12-14 (3), Lev_11:2-4 (3), Lev_11:8-9 (3), Lev_11:11, Lev_11:21-22 (2), Lev_11:42, Lev_17:12 (2), Lev_17:14, Lev_19:25-26 (2), Lev_21:22, Lev_22:4, Lev_22:6-8 (3), Lev_22:10-14 (8), Lev_22:16, Lev_23:6, Lev_23:14, Lev_24:9, Lev_25:12, Lev_25:19-20 (2), Lev_25:22 (2), Lev_26:5, Lev_26:10, Lev_26:16, Lev_26:26, Lev_26:29 (2), Lev_26:38, Num_6:3-4 (2), Num_9:11, Num_11:4-5 (2), Num_11:13, Num_11:18-19 (4), Num_11:21, Num_15:19, Num_18:10-11 (3), Num_18:13, Num_18:31, Num_23:24, Num_24:8, Num_25:2, Deu_2:6, Deu_4:28 (2), Deu_9:9 (2), Deu_9:18, Deu_11:15, Deut 12 (17), Deu_15:20, Deu_15:22-23 (2), Deu_16:3 (2), Deu_16:7-8 (2), Deu_18:1, Deu_18:8, Deu_20:14, Deu_20:19, Deu_23:24, Deu_26:12, Deu_27:7, Deu_28:31, Deu_28:33, Deu_28:39, Deu_28:51, Deu_28:53, Deu_28:55, Deu_28:57, Deu_32:13, Deu_32:38, Jos_24:11-13 (3), Jdg_9:27, Jdg_13:4, Jdg_13:7, Jdg_13:14 (2), Jdg_13:16, Jdg_14:9, Jdg_19:4, Jdg_19:6, Jdg_19:8, Jdg_19:21, Rth_2:14 (2), 1Sa_1:7, 1Sa_1:18, 1Sa_2:36, 1Sa_9:13 (3), 1Sa_9:19, 1Sa_9:24 (2), 1Sa_14:32-34 (3), 1Sa_20:24, 1Sa_20:34, 1Sa_28:22-23 (2), 1Sa_28:25, 1Sa_30:11, 2Sa_9:7, 2Sa_9:10-11 (3), 2Sa_9:13, 2Sa_11:11, 2Sa_11:13, 2Sa_12:3, 2Sa_12:20-21 (2), 2Sa_13:5, 2Sa_13:9, 2Sa_13:11, 2Sa_16:2, 2Sa_17:29, 2Sa_19:28, 2Sa_19:35, 1Ki_1:25, 1Ki_13:7-9 (3), 1Ki_13:15-19 (5), 1Ki_13:22, 1Ki_14:11 (2), 1Ki_16:4 (2), 1Ki_17:12, 1Ki_17:15, 1Ki_18:19, 1Ki_18:41-42 (2), 1Ki_19:5-8 (4), 1Ki_19:21, 1Ki_21:4, 1Ki_21:7, 1Ki_21:23-24 (3), 2Ki_4:8 (2), 2Ki_4:40-44 (7), 2Ki_6:22, 2Ki_6:28-29 (4), 2Ki_7:2, 2Ki_7:8, 2Ki_7:19, 2Ki_9:10, 2Ki_9:34, 2Ki_9:36, 2Ki_18:27, 2Ki_18:31, 2Ki_19:29 (2), 2Ki_23:9, 2Ki_25:29, 1Ch_29:22, 2Ch_28:15, 2Ch_30:18, 2Ch_30:22, 2Ch_31:10, Ezr_2:63, Ezr_6:21, Ezr_9:12, Ezr_10:6, Neh_5:2, Neh_7:65, Neh_8:10, Neh_8:12, Neh_9:25, Neh_9:36, Est_4:16, Job_1:4, Job_31:8, Job_42:11, Psa_14:4 (2), Psa_22:26, Psa_22:29, Psa_27:2, Psa_41:9, Psa_50:13, Psa_53:4 (2), Psa_78:24-25 (2), Psa_78:29, Psa_102:4, Psa_105:35, Psa_128:2 (2), Pro_1:31, Pro_13:2, Pro_18:21, Pro_23:7, Pro_24:13, Pro_25:16, Pro_25:21, Pro_25:27, Pro_27:18, Pro_30:17, Ecc_2:24-25 (2), Ecc_3:13, Ecc_5:11-12 (2), Ecc_5:18-19 (2), Ecc_6:2, Ecc_8:15, Ecc_9:7, Ecc_10:16-17 (2), Son_4:16, Son_5:1, Isa_1:19, Isa_3:10, Isa_4:1, Isa_5:17, Isa_7:15, Isa_7:22 (2), Isa_9:20 (2), Isa_11:7, Isa_21:5, Isa_22:13, Isa_23:18, Isa_30:24, Isa_36:12, Isa_36:16, Isa_37:30 (2), Isa_50:9, Isa_51:8 (2), Isa_55:1-2 (2), Isa_61:6, Isa_62:9, Isa_65:4, Isa_65:13, Isa_65:21-22 (2), Isa_65:25, Jer_2:7, Jer_5:17 (4), Jer_7:21, Jer_15:16, Jer_19:8-9 (3), Jer_22:15, Jer_29:5, Jer_29:28, Jer_41:1, Jer_52:33, Lam_2:20, Eze_2:8, Eze_3:1-3 (5), Eze_4:9-10 (3), Eze_4:12-13 (2), Eze_4:16, Eze_5:10 (2), Eze_12:18-19 (2), Eze_16:13, Eze_22:9, Eze_24:17, Eze_24:22, Eze_25:4, Eze_33:25, Eze_34:3, Eze_39:17-19 (3), Eze_42:13, Eze_44:3, Eze_44:29, Eze_44:31, Dan_1:12-13 (2), Dan_1:15, Hos_2:12, Hos_4:8, Hos_4:10, Hos_8:13, Hos_9:3-4 (2), Joe_2:26, Amo_7:4 (2), Amo_7:12, Amo_9:14, Mic_3:3, Mic_6:14, Mic_7:1, Nah_3:15, Hab_1:8, Zec_7:6 (3), Zec_11:16

eaten, 87
Gen_3:11, Gen_3:17, Gen_6:21, Gen_14:24, Gen_27:33, Gen_31:38, Gen_43:2, Exo_12:46, Exo_13:3, Exo_13:7, Exo_21:28, Exo_29:34, Lev_6:16, Lev_6:23, Lev_6:26, Lev_6:30, Lev_7:6, Lev_7:15-16 (3), Lev_7:18-19 (2), Lev_10:17-19 (3), Lev_11:13, Lev_11:34, Lev_11:41, Lev_11:47 (2), Lev_17:13, Lev_19:6-7 (2), Lev_19:23, Lev_22:30, Num_28:17, Deu_6:11, Deu_8:10, Deu_8:12, Deu_12:22, Deu_14:19, Deu_26:14, Deu_29:6, Deu_31:20, Jos_5:12, Rth_3:7, 1Sa_1:9, 1Sa_14:30, 1Sa_28:20, 1Sa_30:12 (2), 2Sa_19:42, 1Ki_13:22-23 (2), 1Ki_13:28, 2Ki_6:23, Neh_5:14, Job_6:6, Job_13:28, Job_31:17 (2), Job_31:39, Psa_102:9 (2), Pro_9:17, Pro_23:8, Son_5:1, Isa_3:14, Isa_5:5, Isa_44:19, Jer_10:25, Jer_24:2-3 (2), Jer_24:8, Jer_29:17, Jer_31:29, Eze_4:14, Eze_18:2, Eze_18:6, Eze_18:11, Eze_18:15, Eze_45:21, Hos_10:13, Joe_1:4 (3), Joe_2:25

devour, 57
Gen_49:27, Deu_32:42, Jdg_9:15, Jdg_9:20 (2), 2Sa_2:26, 2Ch_7:13, Job_18:13 (2), Psa_21:9, Psa_50:3, Pro_30:14, Isa_1:7, Isa_9:12, Isa_9:18, Isa_10:17, Isa_26:11, Isa_31:8, Isa_33:11, Isa_56:9, Jer_2:3, Jer_5:14, Jer_12:12, Jer_15:3, Jer_17:27, Jer_21:14, Jer_30:16, Jer_46:10, Jer_46:14, Jer_48:45, Jer_50:32, Eze_7:15, Eze_15:7, Eze_20:47, Eze_28:18, Eze_34:28, Eze_36:14, Hos_5:7, Hos_8:14, Hos_11:6, Hos_13:8, Amo_1:4, Amo_1:7, Amo_1:10, Amo_1:12, Amo_1:14, Amo_2:2, Amo_5:5-6 (2), Oba_1:18, Nah_3:13 (2), Nah_3:15, Zec_9:14-15 (2), Zec_11:1, Zec_12:6

devoured, 42
Gen_31:15, Gen_37:20, Gen_37:33, Lev_10:2, Num_26:10, Deu_31:17, 2Sa_22:8-9 (3), Psa_18:8, Psa_78:45, Psa_79:7, Psa_105:35, Isa_1:20, Isa_24:6, Jer_2:30, Jer_3:24, Jer_8:16, Jer_10:25, Jer_30:16, Jer_50:7, Jer_50:17, Jer_51:34, Lam_4:11, Eze_15:5, Eze_16:20, Eze_19:3, Eze_19:6, Eze_19:14, Eze_23:25 (2), Eze_33:27, Hos_7:7, Hos_7:9, Joe_1:19-20 (2), Amo_4:9, Amo_7:4, Nah_1:10, Zep_1:18, Zep_3:8, Zec_9:4

eateth, 31
Exo_12:15, Exo_12:19, Lev_7:18, Lev_7:20, Lev_7:25 (2), Lev_7:27, Lev_11:40, Lev_14:47, Lev_17:10 (2), Lev_17:14-15 (2), Lev_19:8, Num_13:32, 1Sa_14:24, 1Sa_14:28, Job_5:5, Job_21:25, Job_40:15, Psa_106:20, Pro_13:25, Pro_30:20, Pro_31:27, Ecc_4:5, Ecc_5:17, Ecc_6:2, Isa_29:8, Isa_44:16, Isa_59:5, Jer_31:30

consumed, 21
Gen_31:40, Exo_3:2, Exo_15:7, Exo_22:6, Lev_6:10, Lev_9:24, Num_11:1, Num_12:12, Num_16:35, Num_21:28, Jdg_6:21, 1Ki_18:38, 2Ki_1:10, 2Ki_1:12, 2Ch_7:1, Neh_2:3, Neh_2:13, Job_1:16, Psa_78:63, Eze_19:12, Eze_43:8

eating, 13
Jdg_14:8-9 (2), Rth_3:3, 1Sa_14:34, 1Sa_30:16, 1Ki_1:41, 1Ki_4:20, 2Ki_4:40, 1Ch_12:39, Job_1:13, Job_1:18, Isa_22:13, Isa_66:17, Amo_7:2

consume, 9
Deu_5:25, Deu_7:16, Deu_32:22, 2Ki_1:10, 2Ki_1:12, Job_15:34, Eze_21:26-28 (3)

feed, 8
1Ki_22:27, 2Ch_18:26, Isa_49:26, Jer_23:14-15 (3), Lam_4:5, Dan_11:26

devoureth, 6
2Sa_11:25, Isa_5:24, Eze_15:3-4 (2), Joe_2:3, Joe_2:5

devouring, 5
Exo_24:17, Isa_29:6, Isa_30:27, Isa_30:30, Isa_33:14

fed, 5
Exo_16:32, Deu_8:3, Psa_81:16 (2), Eze_16:19

meat, 5
Lev_25:7, 1Sa_20:5, Job_34:3, Psa_59:15, Hos_11:4

eater, 3
Jdg_14:14, Isa_55:10, Nah_3:12

eatest, 3
Gen_2:17, 1Sa_1:8, 1Ki_21:5

ate, 2
Psa_106:28, Dan_10:3

consumeth, 2
Job_22:20, Job_31:12

consuming, 2
Deu_4:24, Deu_9:3

burnt, 1
2Ki_1:14

devourer, 1
Mal_3:11

devourest, 1
Eze_36:13

dine, 1
Gen_43:16

feedest, 1
Psa_80:5

food, 1
Gen_47:24

plenty, 1
Joe_2:26

You cannot even provide one verse in scripture which uses the word in a sexual connotation. You could not even find one use outside of scripture in Talmudic sources of the use in a sexual connotation. I told you, your translation/s (now plural) are garbage.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The word 'akal, doesn't mean 'enjoy', or even have any sexual connotation, it simply means to "eat":

You cannot even provide one verse in scripture which uses the word in a sexual connotation.

You could not even find one use outside of scripture in Talmudic sources of the use in a sexual connotation.
Don't care because I never said it did. But I did imply that the words "use" and enjoy" in the context they appear in certainly imply rape.

I told you, your translation/s (now plural) are garbage.
Yes I know, and no doubt because it doesn't agree with your theology. But consider,

Out of the 51 versions I checked only 15 (29%) use "eat" or any of its cognates, but 31 (61%) do use "use" or "enjoy."

So tell your story to the 31 scholars, translators, and publishers who clearly disagree with you.

AND, as far as 'akal, meaning to "eat," is that what "food," "meat," "burnt," and "plenty," which you've listed, mean? Of course not, yet you're willing to go along with them. . And even if "eat" was truly the correct word, consider what it implies

Deuteronomy 20:14
Excepting women and children, cattle and other things, that are in the city. And thou shalt divide all the prey to the army, and thou shalt eat the spoils of thy enemies, which the Lord thy God shall give thee.
It implies that the "other things," should be eaten, which is hardly food other than the cattle mentioned---we don't refer to food as "things." So one has to assume god wants the "Men of Israel" to eat what; plows, confiscated weapons and armor, gold, silver, pots, and pans? Nope, "use" and "enjoy" are far more fitting words.

So sorry, but I'm sticking with common reason and the majority of authorities who put the various Bible together rather than your uneducated (I assume you're not a Biblical scholar or a professional linguist), special pleading.

Face it, According to Deuteronomy 20:14 god condones rape, and with no "ifs," "ands," or "buts" about it.

Last edited:

13 And when the Lord your God lets you take the city, you must kill all the men in it. 14 But you may take for yourselves the women, the children, the cattle, and everything else in the city. You may use all these things. The Lord your God has given these things to you.

And isn't it nice that god condones it all. :rolleyes: Go ahead and essentially rape these women, God has given his go-ahead. :thumbsup:

I think God gave the permission, because he knew they will not do anything evil, like rape. And I think there lies also the reason why the same is not given to all people. For example, I think it is now obvious why you should never have the same chance.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think God gave the permission, because he knew they will not do anything evil, like rape.
So, what would be the purpose in granting permission for something you knew would never happen? Kind of a waste of breath, if not stupid, don't you think?

"Hey kids, just so you know, you have my permission to poop in your pants and jump off the bridge." :rolleyes:

Last edited: